06-08-2019, 11:19 AM
User Info
I just got this nice razor from ATT. It’s their modern version of a Gem type razor. Model ATT G1. It’s a real beauty and shaves really nice.

First off I have to say putting it together for use is a bit tricky. Once I figured out how to do that all was fine.
I used an ordinary Gem stainless steel blade. I hand stropped it a few times.

It does give a nice smooth shave. Although similar to the ER-1912 it is different. It feels nice on your face. Maybe it’s the extra weight or the grooves in the head. I’m not sure why but I like it better than the ER-1912. To honest I haven’t use the 1912 in awhile but I don’t remember enjoying it as much as the G1.

ATT should have included some sort of directions on assembly. Something like this would have been helpful.

1. Put the little threaded hook thru the base plate with the hook toward the front.

2. Then put the blade in place.

3. Then put the top piece on with the tapered end toward the front.

4. Then screw the handle on.

This razor gives such a nice smooth and close shave it’s worth every penny. You can get it with or without a handle. I will be keeping it.
I put a Weber Wave handle on it.

[Image: 6kwTF6I.jpg]

5 1,927
 06-09-2019, 04:38 AM
User Info
I guess there is not much interest in this razor. It gives a really nice shave.

5 1,927
 06-09-2019, 04:54 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(06-09-2019, 04:38 AM)shave/brush Wrote: I guess there is not much interest in this razor. It gives a really nice shave.

Sometimes the forums are a bit slow on the weekends.

I'm interested in this razor, I enjoyed my GEM 1912 and my MMOC razor as well.  The MMOC gives me ingrown hairs if I use it for more than a few days in row.  

It sounds like it's not intuitive to assemble the head.  Does the threaded hook hold the head and base plate together?  Looking at your picture is looks like there is some play with the hook and how the base and top plate go together.  Does the head lock up solidly or do you have to adjust it to get it into the right alignment?

12 2,151
 06-09-2019, 09:46 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I enjoy my ATT Gem razor a great deal. I go back and forth between the G1 and the Sabre. For me, it's a very comfortable razor to use.

Yes, installing a blade can be a little tricky at first until you get used to the design. But it's such a unique design that I can't help but admire it

0 324
 06-09-2019, 01:39 PM
User Info
(06-09-2019, 04:54 AM)Sully Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 04:38 AM)shave/brush Wrote: I guess there is not much interest in this razor. It gives a really nice shave.

Sometimes the forums are a bit slow on the weekends.

I'm interested in this razor, I enjoyed my GEM 1912 and my MMOC razor as well.  The MMOC gives me ingrown hairs if I use it for more than a few days in row.  

It sounds like it's not intuitive to assemble the head.  Does the threaded hook hold the head and base plate together?  Looking at your picture is looks like there is some play with the hook and how the base and top plate go together.  Does the head lock up solidly or do you have to adjust it to get it into the right alignment?

Yes it locks up tight. It is a very good design once you get use to putting it together.

[Image: eMe4G9a.jpg]

5 1,927
 06-09-2019, 02:13 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Ron, I can see how the head goes together in your second picture.  Thanks for posting it.

12 2,151
 06-09-2019, 03:11 PM
User Info
I also find the grooves in the head make it glide over your face very smoothly.

[Image: egB7c9a.jpg]

5 1,927
 06-10-2019, 03:58 AM
User Info
You can buy just the razor head which will fit most any handle, for $99.00 which is made of 303 stainless steel.

5 1,927
 06-12-2019, 03:56 AM
User Info
Looks great on that wave handle

6 445
 06-17-2019, 11:19 AM
User Info
I just had another great shave with the G1 razor. This is quickly becoming my favorite razor. It just shaves so smooth and yet so close. I can't believe I'm saying this because I kind of gave up on Gem razors.
 I felt they were just not as smooth or sharp as DE blades or Artist Club type blades. But this razor reminds me of the $400. OneBlade razor I had. It is flawless in operation and very smooth. This razor is worth a try.

[Image: yrJ1bWt.jpg]

5 1,927
 06-17-2019, 02:05 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info

People who have them seem to like them, but I've heard it isn't a big seller for ATT.  I use their R2 DE razor and the SE2 single edge razor. Both are excellent, efficient shavers.

15 898
 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM
User Info
(06-17-2019, 02:05 PM)Puma Wrote: People who have them seem to like them, but I've heard it isn't a big seller for ATT.  I use their R2 DE razor and the SE2 single edge razor. Both are excellent, efficient shavers.

I like it more every time I use it. Very nice razor. I also have the ATT SE1.  Another great razor.

5 1,927
 06-17-2019, 05:21 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Ok - interesting.  So sorry if I'm being dense here, but:

1.  The head is 3 pieces - I can see that, check
2.  The little hook goes in the oval hole in the middle of GEM style blades - 
3.  The tabs on the base plate are for the 2 notches on the blades - this keeps the blade straight
4.  The cap locks everything down, and looks like it's recessed to accommodate the thick spine
5.  There are no front tabs or pins like many other GEM style razors have, including the Sabre.  
6.  The handle screws in the center of the base, like the Sabre, which seems like a good idea
7.  The threads for the handle are in the hook, which goes through the baseplate
8.  The baseplate has holes to allow stubble and soap through, and to assist rinsing

My questions:
1.  Do you need to remove the hook to change blades? 
2.  What holds the cap on?  Usually, you need a screw on the top cap to hold everything together, but this doesn't seem to have that, and ATT doesn't show the underside of the cap. 

I also don't see extra hooks for sale, which seems like an oversight, unless it really doesn't need to be removed except for cleaning.

15 174
 06-17-2019, 06:19 PM
User Info
(06-17-2019, 05:21 PM)norton Wrote: I also don't see extra hooks for sale, which seems like an oversight, unless it really doesn't need to be removed except for cleaning.

It's interesting you say that.  I always thought ATT should sell extra hooks.  It seems like it would be an easy part to lose.

60 9,558
 06-17-2019, 07:11 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
I think I figured it out - Maggard's shows the underside of the cap. 

So it's the hook screwed into the handle that holds the top cap down, and the top cap has grooves to accommodate the tabs in the baseplate.
Kind of a 3 point system, plus the pressure from the top cap. 

(06-17-2019, 06:19 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's interesting you say that.  I always thought ATT should sell extra hooks.  It seems like it would be an easy part to lose.

Supply sells extra screws for 4 bucks.  The stainless hook would probably cost more - since it's kind of a specialty item - maybe offer a discount at time of purchase for people who worry about these things.

15 174
 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
User Info
You do not have to remove the hook to change the blade.

The hook is what holds the cap on.  If you would ask ATT I think they would probably come up with an extra hook if needed. They are the type of company that stands behind their product.

5 1,927
 06-17-2019, 07:19 PM
User Info
(06-17-2019, 07:11 PM)norton Wrote: I think I figured it out - Maggard's shows the underside of the cap. 

So it's the hook screwed into the handle that holds the top cap down, and the top cap has grooves to accommodate the tabs in the baseplate.

Supply sells extra screws for 4 bucks.
  The stainless hook would probably cost more - since it's kind of a specialty item - maybe offer a discount at time of purchase for people who worry about these things.

What screws? There are no screws with this razor.

5 1,927
 06-17-2019, 07:30 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(06-17-2019, 07:19 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 07:11 PM)norton Wrote: I think I figured it out - Maggard's shows the underside of the cap. 

The stainless hook would probably cost more - since it's kind of a specialty item - maybe offer a discount at time of purchase for people who worry about these things.

Just an example.  Supply uses a special screw/spring combo to hold their razors together, so they offer it for sale separately. In case you lose the one that came with the razor.  

ATT could do the same with the hook - and as you point out - they are a reputable company and stand behind their products, so they very well might sell extras - I just didn't see them listed separately anywhere on their site.

15 174
 06-17-2019, 07:47 PM
User Info
(06-17-2019, 07:30 PM)norton Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 07:19 PM)shave/brush Wrote:

Just an example.  Supply uses a special screw/spring combo to hold their razors together, so they offer it for sale separately. In case you lose the one that came with the razor.  

ATT could do the same with the hook - and as you point out - they are a reputable company and stand behind their products, so they very well might sell extras - I just didn't see them listed separately anywhere on their site.

I didn't know "Supply" was a razor company.  This ATT G1 is a fine razor. You have to experience it to really appreciate it.

5 1,927
 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM
User Info
I have never used a GEM razor, but am happy that you like it! Perhaps someday I will give one a whirl.

I have used Old Spice shave soap, and I love that stuff...sound as a pound it is!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704