07-24-2019, 06:56 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
So I picked up one of the ATT G1 heads.  ATT did say they can and will sell you spare hooks for holding the head together if you want one - they just don't list them separately on their site.  Shoot them an email. 

To me, the most interesting part of the design (apart from the hook) is the lack of blade stops of any kind.  I have several Gems / E/R / Star razors - all have blade stops or hooks on the corners. 

The G1 head does lock onto a blade like a vise - and no stops means you have access to the whole length of the blade - and can use that to your advantage under the nose. 

Used it with an ATT Atlas and Proraso with OK results, but not overwhelming.  Moved that blade to my Featherweight to finish it up.   

2nd go - switched to a Weber Wave handle like the OP - A definite improvement.  I thought I'd try taking it up a notch from Proraso for the next attempt. 

3rd go with this head, 2nd with the Wave handle, 2nd with this blade - LPL Vetiver SS - using the G1 like a Featherweight or 1912 with the front 'scalloped' part of the head flat on the face -  DFS in 2 passes. 

LPL Vetiver A/S revealed no irritation/burn to speak of - anywhere - including below the nose.  No weepers. 

Really, just fun. 

The audible feedback is less than what I have come to expect from Gem style razors.  But when you find the angle, I agree with the OP -  close to DE comfort.  No chatter.  No tugging. 

The head and hook design does make drying the blade after use a bit inconvenient, but really you just have to loosen the handle enough and the cap releases for blade access without having to dis-assemble the whole thing.  The hook will stay captive in the handle with the base plate.  I use an M5x10x1 nylon washer between the base and handle, so there's enough thread space with that in there as well. 

Thanks for pointing out the G1 s/b - we'll see how well it does from here.

15 174
 07-24-2019, 07:15 PM
User Info
I'm glad to hear you like it norton. I still think it is a very easy to use razor with fantastic results. It has become my daily driver.

5 1,927
 07-24-2019, 08:03 PM
User Info
Thanks for an informative review norton.  The hook holding the head together is a small part which is easy to lose.  The availability of spare hooks is definitely a plus.

60 9,710
 07-24-2019, 09:01 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(07-24-2019, 07:15 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I'm glad to hear you like it norton. I still think it is a very easy to use razor with fantastic results. It has become my daily driver.

I can see that - it's surprisingly comfortable. 

Right now I say it's under-appreciated.  Old school Gem style shavers like the old school razors -  and those allow more freedom with angles, but using poor angles results in irritation and redness - then folks blame the blades.   

I think because it has no blade stops, the G1 can't offer that same freedom with angles or you'd slice yourself up with the blade corners.  However, once you find the angle, it does shave very well.
And while the design is unconventional, it does lock the blade down tight.  

The other interesting thing is the Weber Wave handle.  I didn't like it with my Weber heads, preferring the classic or bulldog Weber handles.  But it works very well with the ATT G1 head.  I don't know if it's the 'waves', the deeper knurling, weight or diameter of this handle that makes the difference.  I suppose it doesn't really matter.  Those handles are still being made, last forever, and are reasonably priced - steals if you can find a 'blemished' one on eBay.

15 174
 07-26-2019, 07:05 PM
User Info
I'm still very impressed with this razor. I think it would be just about impossible to nick yourself with the blade corners as you mentioned. They sit well inside the outside edge of the head.
Shaving with this razor it seems to get so close a shave and yet I feel no irritation at all. As I said before I do strop the new blade before I use it. If I don't I find it very rough to use, even the coated blades.
I just love this razor. I think the ribs on the top cap help make the shave so smooth.

[Image: 6moxPSm.jpg]

5 1,927