06-10-2019, 11:38 AM
User Info
Gentlemen,

I recently won this bakelite handled razor at an online auction for almost nothing, since it was very dirty when I got it and has no markings or manufacturer name or logo anywhere. After some thorough cleaning and light renovation it cleaned up pretty well, I think. The bakelite handle looks better in real life than in the pictures, actually.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? The handle is (obviously) bakelite and the head is made from brass (can be seen where the plating has work off in some places).

I tried shaving with it today and it is quite aggressive but provided a very close shave (and just one little nick).

[Image: lIJZwYL.jpg]

[Image: xd7OmWH.jpg]

1 382
 06-10-2019, 11:49 AM
User Info
Swedish Swing Razor?

0 16
 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM
User Info
(06-10-2019, 11:49 AM)koenfucius Wrote: Swedish Swing Razor?

You may be right. I've no idea if they ever made any without markings, the ones I've seen had the company logo as well as "made in sweden" on the back of the plate, as I recall.

1 382
 06-10-2019, 12:07 PM
User Info
Swedish Swing seems to match; it would well be that the logo and name was on the box only.

I found this photo online, it seems to match rather well the razor you found - good find!

[Image: swing-branded-razor.jpg?i=-dJETfKBd23LP3...YHgi2OGw~~]

3 6,609
 06-10-2019, 12:14 PM
User Info
(06-10-2019, 12:07 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Swedish Swing seems to match; it would well be that the logo and name was on the box only.

I found this photo online, it seems to match rather well the razor you found - good find!

[Image: swing-branded-razor.jpg?i=-dJETfKBd23LP3...YHgi2OGw~~]

Yep. That does indeed look very similar or identical to mine. 
Well spotted by koenfucius and you Smile

That round bakelite box is awesome, I'd love to find one of those too.

1 382
 06-10-2019, 12:29 PM
User Info
The plot thickens.... 
I found this picture on the net and the handle looks identical to mine (and the Swing above) but the head is a Matador.
It's really hard to find any good info on the manufacturing of old Swing and Matador razors but I suppose this could be a case where both brands used the same handle (much like Fatip heads show up in different brands today)? I suppose the razor in this picture could also be a "frankenrazor".

[Image: 3Pk1VYF.jpg]

1 382
 06-10-2019, 08:36 PM
User Info
Not sure if it's any help, but here is what I got from Waits' Razor Compendium:

Matador: AB Matadorverken, Halmstad, Sweden. AB Swedish Steel Manufactoring Co, trademark registered in 1929 for razors, blades and sharpeners.

Swing: Swing, Ltd, Aktiebolaget Svensk Rakklinga, Sandvika, Sweden. Trademark first used in 1923, filed in 1925 for safety razors and blades.

Given that the two is on opposite coasts... yeah, that one is likely a frankenrazor Smile

3 6,609
 06-11-2019, 01:39 AM
User Info
(06-10-2019, 08:36 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Not sure if it's any help, but here is what I got from Waits' Razor Compendium:

Matador: AB Matadorverken, Halmstad, Sweden. AB Swedish Steel Manufactoring Co, trademark registered in 1929 for razors, blades and sharpeners.

Swing: Swing, Ltd, Aktiebolaget Svensk Rakklinga, Sandvika, Sweden. Trademark first used in 1923, filed in 1925 for safety razors and blades.

Given that the two is on opposite coasts... yeah, that one is likely a frankenrazor Smile

Yes, I take your point. Also I was under the impression that the two brands competed rather fiercely for a while. 
Hard to find detailed info on these companies. I'm gonna do some digging.

1 382
 06-11-2019, 01:52 AM
User Info
(06-11-2019, 01:39 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 08:36 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Not sure if it's any help, but here is what I got from Waits' Razor Compendium:

Yes, I take your point. Also I was under the impression that the two brands competed rather fiercely for a while. 
Hard to find detailed info on these companies. I'm gonna do some digging.

Might be easier to find on paper than online... and you're in a better place than me to access Swedish archives, i do believe Smile

3 6,609
 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM
User Info

Not necessarily. No reason a handle couldn't be used by more razorbrands.

3 144