06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I don’t have a OC razor. I used to have a ATT S2 but never really liked it. So what’s a good OC to look in to? I like a Gillette flair tip,34c, ATT alu M1.

5 555
 06-13-2019, 01:54 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've developed a preference for the Open Combs.  I have the S2, numerous Old Types, New Olds, New Improved .. yada yada.  One of the best priced for tryout purposes would be a Karve brass, or try and find a NEW with either long or short combs.  ATT Atlas OC is a nice modern OC DE, but costly like all the modern SS machined razors, I'm avoiding the Merkurs from here on out ..  Gillette stopped making OCs in the 40's?

56 618
 06-13-2019, 01:56 PM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Tatara Masamune OC was great with a Feather or Polsilver but I only tried in the pass-around. Really tamed down the sharp blades and gave great results when the angle got more intuitive a few shaves into the week.   You could always try the M2 and return if you end up liking SB better.  Other OC's I have experience with all are more 'aggressive' shavers even though I hate using that word.  Generally more blade feel, efficiency but also sacrificing smoothness to the masamune at the perfect angle.  WR2 would be my money is no object suggestion I'm shocked at how smooth my 1.15 gap DC shaves on both sides I can only imagine the .95 OC would be amazing and in the neighborhood of your preferred razor list.

96 501
 06-13-2019, 02:13 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I thought about a B plate from Karve.

5 555
 06-13-2019, 02:21 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(06-13-2019, 02:13 PM)Chaddy Wrote: I thought about a B plate from Karve.

Just one man's experience - I've a preference for the heavier stuff, the Karve's were less aggressive than I imagined, so when I thought a D was the bomb based on web description, an E was better on face, once received ..  so if you end up needing a D plate ..

56 618
 06-13-2019, 03:09 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(06-13-2019, 01:54 PM)garyg Wrote: try and find a NEW with either long or short combs. 

+1. 

All-Brass.  Available at a reasonable price.  Lots of folks have experience with these.

14 149
 06-13-2019, 03:12 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Gillette New LC... It's a fantastic razor.

99 1,895
 06-13-2019, 04:18 PM
User Info
Another vote for the Karve
I alternate between the o/c B and C plates..

29 391
 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
[Image: Dss34pM.jpg]
Tatara! A fantastic shaver at a very good buy in for the level of quality.

66 5,460
 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM
User Info
(06-13-2019, 03:12 PM)Gabe Wrote: Gillette New LC... It's a fantastic razor.
+1

You can find them for very cheap and they offer great shaves.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

0 63
 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM
User Info
Gillette RFB #77 or #88 series. Arguably, the best open comb razor ever made that combines a buttery smoothness with excellent efficiency. I’m still trying to nab one (tough to get one in good condition) as I’ve only used them via loan. Love’em. A must have in everyone’s shave den,imho. Did I mention that I love’em??

Old Type Single as efficient as anything else out there. Not as smooth and easy to use as the RFB but, helluva good shaver. And dirt cheap. K. Gillette still gazes down from the heavens in approval of this masterpiece still in use today by the hundreds of thousands. I’m not joking either....

Karve, can’t go wrong with it. Smooth and efficient in any plate you desire. Canadiens aren’t just good at hockey and Molson. They can make a great razor too, Ay. Enough said.

PAA EVO DOC SS is just the King of pure bad - assery. No longer made but, a viciously ferocious razor that makes whiskers recede before your shave even begins. Not an easy one but, once tamed and mastered, it’s pure Shaving Nirvana. This and the Asylum RX are MY FAVORITE aggressive razors on the planet....

PAA DOC Ascension series (Stainless, Aluminum & Copper) are excellent razors that all can be had for under $100. Smooth, efficient and the added benefit that they’re twist adjustable. Superb performers all of them and stupid easy to use.

Razorock GC OC’s in either .68 or .84 sizes. Not available yet but, will be within 2-3 weeks. Their SB brothers are excellent shavers that bring mild, smooth and efficient all rolled into one. The OC versions should be just as good if not better. Added plus is that they are made of a premium alloy, 316/L SS with a price point that NO ONE can touch. Doesn’t look like a Wolfman, Timeless, Charcoal Goods or a Raw Shaving razor but, the quality and tolerance is superb with the finish being just a notch or two below those mentioned. It’s the hands down champion of price per performance/quality modern razor in the business. At least for now.....

Uber Luxury status razors? Wolfman, Charcoal Goods, Timeless, Raw, Blackland, Tatara and a few others that escape me for the moment. But, none of these are cheap. These are all in the $200+ price range and are also all wonderful performers. Do you need one? NO but, they sure look pretty in your shave den and in SOTD pics. Plus, it puts you in instant celebrity big spender status and considered part of the elite ownership of elite razors. Think Free Masons but for shavers....

1 261
 06-15-2019, 07:57 AM
User Info
I don't know your budget, but the Tatara and Timeless oc's are superb razors.

58 9,129
 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-13-2019, 01:35 PM)Chaddy Wrote: I don’t have a OC razor. I used to have a ATT S2 but never really liked it. So what’s a good OC to look in to? I like a Gillette flair tip,34c, ATT alu M1.
The iKon B1 Open Comb Deluxe is an excellent open  comb design, and is made of (type 304) stainless steel with iKon’s B1 hard black coating.  It is sold direct through the manufacturer’s website or from Maggard; the price is the same at both sites.  For a stainless steel razor, the OC Deluxe is surprisingly affordable, and you can save $15 on the price if you already have a favorite DE handle.  As a bonus, the top cap and the baseplate of the iKon OC Deluxe are fully interchangeable with the top cap and the baseplate of a Feather AS-D2, though the details of the respective brands’ components differ slightly.  Whereas the baseplate of the Feather AS-D2 is a closed safety bar design with a narrow gap and exceptionally tight restraint of the working edge of the blade, the open-comb iKon baseplate is a bit more libertarian with the blades fitted to it, resulting in a more aggressive razor, though not excessively so.

1 1,364
 06-15-2019, 11:08 AM
User Info
I'm an open comb guy.  I much prefer them over straight bar razors.  I'd recommend the following as these are the ones I have:

VINTAGE:

Gillette Old Type with Ball End handle - These are all over the auction site and anywhere else you look and decent condition examples can be had for very reasonable prices.  

Gillette Single Ring (thin cap) - This is essentially an Old Type with a different design and a very thin top cap.  It can be aggressive but if handled properly will provide some amazing shaves.  More expensive than its Ball End brother.

Gillette New Deluxe - This is my current absolute favorite razor.  I get consistently smooth close comfortable shaves with this razor paired either with a GSB or Polsilver SI.  They are pretty hard to find and can go for some decent cash, but are still cheaper than a lot of the new stainless steel razors being sold out there today.

Gillette NEW (Long Comb or Short Comb) - Lots of people really like these razors.  I prefer the short comb over the long comb.  I have one LC and two SC's.  They can bite if you aren't careful but they are very efficient.  And they are also pretty cheap and lots of them are available.

NEW:

Razorock Old Type - This is a nice mild razor that could be a good first purchase because it is so darn cheap.  And it comes with a nice stainless steel bulldog handle, although the head is zamak.  You could use this as a daily razor because of it's lack of aggression yet is pretty efficient.

Schone Open Comb - This is also a pretty inexpensive razor and it is made by Fatip for Schone.  It is nice and smooth but yet aggressive and efficient and both the head, cap and handle are made of brass.

The only other thing I can suggest is a razor that I have not yet tried but would like to pick one up when I have some funds available.  Karve Open Comb.  But you'd have to know what blade gap you want since they offer 5 or 6 different options.  Since I haven't tried the razor yet I really can't say any more than that other than it gets pretty good reviews on the forums.

Maybe try a cheap vintage Old Type as well as a RR Old Type and see how you like them.  You won't have spent much money and if you really don't like the vintage OT, you can always re-sell it and get your money back.  I have a bunch of them and it used to be my favorite of them all until I found the New Deluxe.  Obviously there are many others out there as have been suggested here.  Good luck and happy hunting.

2 268
 Yesterday, 05:54 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
I consider these to be modern, attainable, affordable open comb razors.  Left to right, iKon B1 Deluxe OC, Atlas ATT M2, Muhle 2009 R89 (made for Muhle by Fatip: this one has a 1920s Gillette 102A cap), Pearl (tamed by a Merkur cap), and Merkur OC (improved with the Pearl cap).
[Image: FrUWDxI.jpg]

18 100
 Yesterday, 05:59 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
I also have about two dozen varieties of the 1930s Gillette New - Long Comb, Short Comb, 15mm Deluxe, 17mm Deluxe, English RFB, and Long Comb Goodwill (multiple copies of each).  You might think I would settle on the New (of one type or another), but I do like the modern ones, too.  I think this is the direction I intended to go in response to the OP's question.

Tom

18 100
 Yesterday, 06:53 AM
User Info
The old R41 by Muhle comes to mind, though that might be considered sawtooth comb.

[Image: r103_1-muehle-traditional-rasierhobel-of...2c0b0c.jpg]

I have a lot of open combs, but these R41s are a staple in my den.

Another classic: GEM MMOC, single edge:

[Image: 125_12_09_16_7_37_40.jpeg]

Also nice the Karve:

[Image: oc_razor-01_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1550879668]

0 703
 Yesterday, 07:04 AM
User Info
ymmv
mild: Timeless  68
mild: Karve A
aggressive: Timeless 95
aggressive: Karve F