06-14-2019, 01:36 AM
User Info
I picked up these two mystery razors for ~2€ at an online auction, first picture is in the uncleaned state they were sold in.

After cleaning, one turned out to be a Matador and quite nice. It's all brass and the plating is worn but it's wearing gracefully (as far as I can tell from my other Matador, they have excellent plating). I'll be keeping that one. I shaved with it today and found it quite aggressive but it provided a very close shave.

The other one is no-name, no markings at all. Perhaps a Swing? I put less effort into cleaning this one as I won't be keeping it. The bottom part of the head is pot metal, the rest brass, the handle is made in three pieces. Clearly a cheaper razor and you can see the plating flaking off rather than wearing off (If someone wants it, give me a howler and I'll send it to you if you pay shipping... not sure it's worth it though).

[Image: VXhBO3R.jpg][Image: NpMyYFU.jpg][Image: PHTOyrf.jpg][Image: fywW3KG.jpg]

1 265
 06-14-2019, 05:06 AM
User Info
The Matador is lovely, even more so given it's age Smile

The unknown don't match any of the Swing models depicted in Waits' Compendium, but he don't claim to have a complete record.

The handle on the unknown looks like it's cracking in the same way as the handles of many Gillette Old do, so that tells us something about how the handle is put together at least. The handle is also the same shape as the Gillette Single Ring (aka the 1907 model), but the bottom plate puzzles me...

/edit: looking at the high-resolution image, I've spotted one of the things that puzzles me: The top cap seem to stick out further than the base plate.

3 6,353
 06-14-2019, 06:05 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Matador cleaned up nice. Well done on that one but the other one with the cracking, not so in my opinion. Still fun to clean up the tools from another era.

0 499
 06-14-2019, 09:57 AM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 06:05 AM)Garb Wrote: Matador cleaned up nice. Well done on that one but the other one with the cracking, not so in my opinion. Still fun to clean up the tools from another era.

Yeah, I didn't really put the effort in with the other one when I realized I didn't want to keep it.

1 265
 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 05:06 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Matador is lovely, even more so given it's age Smile

The unknown don't match any of the Swing models depicted in Waits' Compendium, but he don't claim to have a complete record.

The handle on the unknown looks like it's cracking in the same way as the handles of many Gillette Old do, so that tells us something about how the handle is put together at least. The handle is also the same shape as the Gillette Single Ring (aka the 1907 model), but the bottom plate puzzles me...

/edit: looking at the high-resolution image, I've spotted one of the things that puzzles me: The top cap seem to stick out further than the base plate.

Yes, there are cracks in the handle and it's in three parts. I can pull them apart fairly easily. The Matador handle is in one piece.
Well spotted with the top cap, I didn't think about that. Almost makes it seem like the whole thing is a frankenrazor. The pot-metal base plate gives the impression of being much cheaper quality than the handle, cracks aside.

[Image: eV1ze38.jpg]

1 265
 06-14-2019, 10:38 AM
User Info
I thought I'd also post a comparison picture with my other Matador which is a larger razor in (what I'd call) mint condition with flawless plating. Also the bigger one is a two part razor. I don't know if the differences are due to one (the smaller one?) being older or because they are made for different price points. The bigger one looks sturdier all over, thicker base plate etc.

[Image: XnDNKa4.jpg]

1 265
 06-14-2019, 11:06 AM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 10:29 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 05:06 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Matador is lovely, even more so given it's age Smile

Yes, there are cracks in the handle and it's in three parts. I can pull them apart fairly easily. The Matador handle is in one piece.
Well spotted with the top cap, I didn't think about that. Almost makes it seem like the whole thing is a frankenrazor. The pot-metal base plate gives the impression of being much cheaper quality than the handle, cracks aside.

[Image: eV1ze38.jpg]

I'm wondering if the handle might be a Gillette Old, mated to a different head... or parts of two different head even  Huh

3 6,353