06-14-2019, 03:27 AM
User Info
This is one for you experts on vintage razor blades.

I received a few blades with two vintage razors I bought on an auction. They are "Clipper Special" which, as far as I know, have not been manufactured since at least the 60's if not the 50's. Now, I have not tried shaving with these, but when I look at a blade through the transparent inner packaging, it looks pristine, which surprised me. It does not say stainless anywhere on the packaging so I dunno if these are SS or carbon steel, I assume the former, but still... they look perfect for being so old.

So, how does unused blades age? Is there some kind of microscopic degradation of the edge that makes them dull just by sitting on a shelf or would a decades old blade be as sharp as when it was new? Clearly a rusted non-stainless blade will have degraded, but when they look good as these do, are they really? Sorry for my ignorance but metallurgy is not my forte. 

[Image: KXfV2Xm.jpg]

1 382
 06-14-2019, 06:10 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
What does "extra tunt" refer to? I tried google and wondering if it means extra thin? For a blade I would think they are all that.

0 579
 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM
User Info
"Extra tunt" do indeed mean "extra thin" in Swedish.

My less than useful reply to the longevity of a blade boils down to "it depends"; how they are stored, what material they are made of, if they were oiled before packaging, how they were packaged etc, etc, etc. One thing I know though is that a blade shouldn't dull just from sitting still Smile

The blade certainly looks to have kept well when examined through the packaging.

3 6,609
 06-14-2019, 10:00 AM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 08:16 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: "Extra tunt" do indeed mean "extra thin" in Swedish.

My less than useful reply to the longevity of a blade boils down to "it depends"; how they are stored, what material they are made of, if they were oiled before packaging, how they were packaged etc, etc, etc. One thing I know though is that a blade shouldn't dull just from sitting still Smile

The blade certainly looks to have kept well when examined through the packaging.

Right, so you are saying that a blade can keep perfectly fine through decades but the only way to be sure is to try and see?

1 382
 06-14-2019, 10:10 AM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 06:10 AM)Garb Wrote: What does "extra tunt" refer to? I tried google and wondering if it means extra thin? For a blade I would think they are all that.

Yes, like Hans already said, that's what it means. The blade thickness seem to have been an important sales argument back in the day, based on the fact that many (Scandinavian) vintage blades have the thickness written on the package (0.1mm, 0.13mm etc). The "Extra thin" label also seems common. 

Here's an example of an ad (from the 1940's or 50's?) for another brand sporting both the "extra tunt" and the "0.1mm" (it's the sharpness they are pushing in the copywriting though):
[Image: 309501259_84af6b77-bc26-4415-ae0d-d339eb23a7b0.jpg]

1 382
 06-14-2019, 10:35 AM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 10:00 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:16 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: "Extra tunt" do indeed mean "extra thin" in Swedish.

Right, so you are saying that a blade can keep perfectly fine through decades but the only way to be sure is to try and see?

From what I've picked up online.. basically, yes. Unless it's rusty, discoloured or obviously damaged it is quite likely fine. Several shavers here on the 'Nook uses vintage blades, they might be able to give advice as how to properly judge a blade before putting it against your skin.

3 6,609
 06-15-2019, 05:08 AM
User Info
Ok, so I tried. Decided to give one of these a go today. It looked pretty good to me but the answer in this particular case is a resounding "no". Lots of tugging. I soldiered on for about half a pass, then I gave up and dropped a Polsilver in there. Whole other world. It is of course possible that this blade was rubbish even when new, but if it was not then something has happened to it through the decades.

[Image: dTbFVAn.jpg]

1 382
 06-15-2019, 10:54 AM
User Info
Ouch... well, as we say in Norway; "den som intet våger intet vinner" (for our non-scandinavian friends; "if you don't dare you don't win").

Looking at the large picture, there seem to be a small semicircular nick in the blade on the lower left... that could go a long way in explaining a rough shave. Both edges equally bad, or?

3 6,609