06-14-2019, 08:40 AM
User Info
Hello all,

I am relative new to traditional shaving Smile

For now I am still learning, and my set-up are : a Gillette Super Speed, pure Simpson badger brush, a Barbon cream, and some aftershave balm like Nivea. Still haven`t tried a lot of blades, only Derby Extra, Gillette Platinum and Shark Super Stainless. For now I like Gillette Platinum most.

I hope my Super Speed (1954 as I understand from date code Z-1) is good for beginners  Blush 

[Image: 20190614-191320.jpg] [Image: clear.png]

0 2
 06-14-2019, 09:39 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.   When you have a chance, please introduce yourself in the Introductions section, so our members can give you a proper welcome.

Your Super Speed is an excellent choice for a first razor, and one you can continue to use for the rest of your life.

60 9,699
 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
User Info
A lovely bit of starter kit. I would stay with one razor until you got the technique down, and I agree that the SuperSpeed is a razor for people starting out - and old hands too. Just an all round good razor.

3 6,716
 06-14-2019, 01:37 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Nice setup and welcome.  Great place to learn.

17 858
 06-14-2019, 02:11 PM
User Info
Perfect starter kit. Welcome to TSN.

0 220
 06-14-2019, 06:13 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Nice kit.  Better than what I started with. 

Those late 40s - early 50s SuperSpeeds are good shavers.  Not overly aggressive, but also not too timid.  Once you learn the angle they like - they can really deliver. 
Some say that the 40s and 50s was when Gillette was at it's DE peak, and those razors are among the best they ever produced. 

Welcome.

15 174
 06-14-2019, 08:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Very nice setup. Welcome to TSN Smile

15 3,795
 06-15-2019, 04:25 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Welcome and thanks for sharing your kit with us. I think what you have there is about all a person needs to get it all together. I'm pretty sure quite a few of us had basically the same kit when we started and some not as nice even.  I bet you could really sparkle that shaver up if ever motivated . 
Cheers buddy

0 587
 06-15-2019, 01:54 PM
User Info
(06-14-2019, 08:40 AM)Barbon Wrote: Hello all,

I am relative new to traditional shaving Smile

For now I am still learning, and my set-up are : a Gillette Super Speed, pure Simpson badger brush, a Barbon cream, and some aftershave balm like Nivea. Still haven`t tried a lot of blades, only Derby Extra, Gillette Platinum and Shark Super Stainless. For now I like Gillette Platinum most.

I hope my Super Speed (1954 as I understand from date code Z-1) is good for beginners  Blush 

I started out just like you, not long ago, when I found this den of vile enablers. I too had a single razor, a brush and a soap. Now I have a growing collection of vintage DE's, SE's and straights, new and vintage brushes, and a drawer full of soaps and creams, unable to think further than my next fix. 

Save yourself while there is still time! It's too late for me...

(Seriously though, welcome onboard)

1 382
 06-16-2019, 03:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
He’s one of us now... 
Muahahahahaha Firedevil

15 3,795
 06-16-2019, 07:52 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I started trad wet shaving in early march 2019. 

I now have 7 razors, hundreds of blades, 5 brushes, 15 or so soaps, several spashes, 5 or 6 balms and some products that I will remember once I post this. 

the gents here set me straight with wet shaving, stick to one set up for a month. the thing is it really doesn't matter how much you have or how much you spend as what I have learned at TSN is: that a great shave is more dependent on your technique than your tools. 

then after a month, if you are the scientific type change one variable at a time, say try a diff blade for a week or diff soap etc then you can find the products that suit your skin and whiskers best so that you develop your personal standards that all other brands will be judged against. trust me there will be plenty of brands. and each of us believes deep in our hearts that the next one will be the best one of them all. actually, the next one is the best one enough times to keep me interested. YMMV

if you are the artistic type of gent then just do what you feel. 

you already own a fine razor and if you are so inclined you will never need another; neither will your grandson. but whats the fun in that?

either way, enjoy your time shaving and discussing shaving and reading reviews and lusting for unobtanium.

0 359
 06-17-2019, 11:39 AM
User Info
(06-16-2019, 07:52 PM)RyznRio Wrote: I started trad wet shaving in early march 2019. 

I now have 7 razors, hundreds of blades, 5 brushes, 15 or so soaps, several spashes, 5 or 6 balms and some products that I will remember once I post this. 

the gents here set me straight with wet shaving, stick to one set up for a month. the thing is it really doesn't matter how much you have or how much you spend as what I have learned at TSN is: that a great shave is more dependent on your technique than your tools. 

then after a month, if you are the scientific type change one variable at a time, say try a diff blade for a week or diff soap etc then you can find the products that suit your skin and whiskers best so that you develop your personal standards that all other brands will be judged against. trust me there will be plenty of brands. and each of us believes deep in our hearts that the next one will be the best one of them all. actually, the next one is the best one enough times to keep me interested. YMMV

if you are the artistic type of gent then just do what you feel. 

you already own a fine razor and if you are so inclined you will never need another; neither will your grandson. but whats the fun in that?

either way, enjoy your time shaving and discussing shaving and reading reviews and lusting for unobtanium.

Thanks  Shy
I am still in beginning, and sticking with one razor is enough. In my country, Bulgaria, we have a lot of shaving creams produced here, and imported brands like Barbon and Nivea. The prices are also for our living standard, which means, that Nivea cream is $1,5 per tube. 
Unfortunately we have not antique stores and flea markets, so, the only way to find safety razors is eBay. But the shipping rates there are often higher than the price of razor, so, I may stick with this one (which cost me $8, and with shipping to me goes to $26 total). 

In other words, changing razors can be very expensive hobby for me Smile

0 2