06-21-2019, 04:11 PM
User Info
I came across this vintage Gillette razor on eBay and I have never seen a Gillette with these kind of posts and this kind of head on a old Gillette razor before ? can some one identify how common of a Gillette razor this is and are they an aggressive razor ?

[Image: newHgWt.jpg][Image: UWMwGm1.jpg][Image: oqoMQK3.jpg][Image: NhGldcS.jpg]

0 16
 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM
User Info
I don'tbknow that particular model but I have a Gillette Good Will that have the same kind of post on the base plate. But the top cap have hole on it so the post can pass trought the cap

I am sure you will have some more informations from other members!

0 140
 06-21-2019, 06:36 PM
User Info
It's a Goodwill from sometime between 1931 and 1935.  Some examples of the Goodwill razor can be seen on Mr. Razor's site.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Goodwill/Goodwill.htm

2 284
 06-21-2019, 07:24 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
"can some one identify how common of a Gillette razor this is and are they an aggressive razor ?"

Not super rare - it's a US made Goodwill NEW.  Not super aggressive either - lots of folks like them - especially this long comb version.  The 'Old Types' are considered more aggressive. 

The Canadian made 'Goodwills' look like 'Old Types' with the outer round posts replaced with diamonds, and diamond holes cut in the top cap.  They also command a higher price on auction sites.  

Someone correct me here If I mis-state - the reason they were called Goodwill is because Gillette gave them away - so folks would buy their new patented blades with diamond openings. 

Those diamond openings are still there on modern DE blades.  

This razor is nearly 100 years old - so if you buy it, you may not want to load it up with a Feather/KAI/Super Iridium right away.  Dial it back a notch - Astras, Gillette Silver Blues, Red Personnas, Crystals all work well in mine.

15 170
 06-21-2019, 08:08 PM
User Info
Yes, my Goodwill is a Canadian one. Made in Montreal (30 miles from where I live) and the inscription under the base plate says 1929-31.

I don't know if there is a good difference between the US and canadian one. But I feel that mine is fairly smooth. I use it exclusively with Feather and Kai as they are my prefered blade. Of course, ymmv, so if you have the previous recommended blade, give them a try!

0 140
 06-22-2019, 12:07 AM
User Info
Cool find Smile

Fun factoid; the Goodwill arose from the Probak - a competing razor with a better blade than Gillette had. For a small primer on the beginning of that sotry, check out this old thread: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=53132

3 6,416
 06-22-2019, 09:13 AM
User Info
(06-21-2019, 07:24 PM)norton Wrote: "can some one identify how common of a Gillette razor this is and are they an aggressive razor ?"

Not super rare - it's a US made Goodwill NEW.  Not super aggressive either - lots of folks like them - especially this long comb version.  The 'Old Types' are considered more aggressive. 

The Canadian made 'Goodwills' look like 'Old Types' with the outer round posts replaced with diamonds, and diamond holes cut in the top cap.  They also command a higher price on auction sites.  

Someone correct me here If I mis-state - the reason they were called Goodwill is because Gillette gave them away - so folks would buy their new patented blades with diamond openings. 

Those diamond openings are still there on modern DE blades.  

This razor is nearly 100 years old - so if you buy it, you may not want to load it up with a Feather/KAI/Super Iridium right away.  Dial it back a notch - Astras, Gillette Silver Blues, Red Personnas, Crystals all work well in mine.

Thank you for that helpful info, and a couple of the back down blades you mention are what I normally use Astra green, Gillette silver blue, Wilkinson from India, & personna's made in US that I already have

0 16
 06-22-2019, 09:36 AM
User Info
(06-22-2019, 12:07 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Cool find Smile

Fun factoid; the Goodwill arose from the Probak - a competing razor with a better blade than Gillette had. For a small primer on the beginning of that sotry, check out this old thread: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=53132

WOW, Great post of info history and is so cool to know, I love the history behind the early made razors and just in all history of time in it self of every thing plain and simple, My self I just find it such fascinating history and be able to acquire old timey razors and still be part of the razors history to be able to use them still today!  & I also love be able to handle or admire them and kind of imagine who & how many different people may have used a particular razor in all the years that it has been around I think is just so cool ,,!

0 16
 06-22-2019, 09:46 AM
User Info
(06-21-2019, 08:08 PM)ImJustMe Wrote: Yes, my Goodwill is a Canadian one. Made in Montreal (30 miles from where I live) and the inscription under the base plate says 1929-31.

I don't know if there is a good difference between the US and canadian one. But I feel that mine is fairly smooth. I use it exclusively with Feather and Kai as they are my prefered blade. Of course, ymmv, so if you have the previous recommended blade, give them a try!

Thanks for your reply back when I receive it in the mail I will give it a look see on the base plate for a date !!!!

0 16