06-21-2019, 04:54 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I've been holding these super blue blades in a 6 blade dispenser for many years. By viewing the Gillette blade chart I see that they are from '63. 
If possible could somebody tell me about the blades and if they are any good and worth opening one of the sealed packages. 
I told my girlfriend that they are older than she is and she said so was I. LOL

0 579
 06-24-2019, 03:40 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, as someone who only uses vintage blades and often carbon ones the fact that they're sealed is a very good sign. Do you know where they're from? I mean where they've spent most of those years since they were first bought?  Another thing that is a good sign but doesn't guarantee a good shave is if they've spent their life somewhere that has a dry climate. But Superblues can give you a great shave. The best carbon vintage blades are the hard to find Schick Deluxe with Krona edge but you may have a winner there.
P.S. try to make a judgment about them on your first pass, with the grain. If you normally do three passes, with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain, you may want to add another across pass in the other way before that last against the grain.

8 2,683
 06-25-2019, 05:21 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Really appreciate your reply to this question. I've had these blades stored in a box with desiccant for over 10 years and the packages are all sealed with no damage visible. I'm over due for a shave and today is the day I break into one dispenser on your recommendation and advise. Thank you sir.

0 579
 06-25-2019, 04:53 PM
User Info
How was the shave? Do you like the blade?

I think I have a pack of those around here somewhere...I will be curious to hear!

Vr

Matt

32 1,692
 06-25-2019, 07:16 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Dare I say I didn't use them yet?  I went out of town for a few days but that'll give me all the more to test it out with.

0 579
 06-26-2019, 12:10 PM
User Info
(06-25-2019, 07:16 PM)Garb Wrote: Dare I say I didn't use them yet?  I went out of town for a few days but that'll give me all the more to test it out with.

Standing by!

Safe travels!

Vr

Matt

32 1,692
 06-28-2019, 01:09 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I finally was able to test this blade out and used it in the Rocnel Elite latest version. I'd have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with this blade at all. I'd liken it to a Merkur blade but slightly better possibly. It was rough and pulled my 2 day beard enough that I could toss it right now but, like many of us, have to see if it improves at all with the 2d or even possibly a  3rd shave, that's if my face can handle it tugging me like salt water taffy.

0 579
 06-28-2019, 01:41 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-28-2019, 01:09 PM)Garb Wrote: I finally was able to test this blade out and used it in the Rocnel Elite latest version. I'd have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with this blade at all. I'd liken it to a Merkur blade but slightly better possibly. It was rough and pulled my 2 day beard enough that I could toss it right now but, like many of us, have to see if it improves at all with the 2d or even possibly a  3rd shave, that's if my face can handle it tugging me like salt water taffy.

Then its degraded as many if not most that old are. My fault for not mentioning it but in answering you I completely forgot you said '63. The ones I've been happy with are considerably newer. Obviously they didn't shave like that when new or beards would have been  the fashion.

8 2,683
 06-28-2019, 02:31 PM
User Info
I won’t bother then! It’s not worth it to me!

Vr

Matt

32 1,692