06-21-2019, 05:59 PM
User Info
Hello Shave Nook Forum Members,

I just wanted to introduce myself. As the title says I’m new to the world of safety razors. I was speaking with a colleague about shaving and he suggested this forum to me. I’ve been able to scroll through periodically today and I’m really excited to be part of this fantastic community. This forum has a ton of great info and recommendations from what I’ve seen so far.

A little info about my wet shaving experience. About 5 years ago I became sick of buying disposable cartridge razors because no matter what brand or how many how many hundreds of blades were packed into a single cartridge (sarcasm) I could not get a good shave. The blades would pull my facial hair, cut me and leave my skin very irritated.

So after years of this I decided to make the switch to a straight edge razor. It was a difficult learning curve and blood all over my sink during a shave was testament to it. I persisted and finally perfected the angles, how to hold the razor and mapping my beard. Within a few shaves I had it down and could shave without a single nick or drop of blood spilled.

Fast forward five years and I still love shaving with my straight blade and even taught my oldest son how to use one for his first shave. There is a problem though..... shaving with a straight blade takes time, enjoyable time, but with having 4 kids it can be difficult with a constant go, go, go life style.

Last week I pulled the trigger after reading and watching as much info as I possibly could and I decided to give safety razors a go. I purchased a Parker 96R kit. I have a Parker SR1 shavette and really like it so it was a brand I can stand by.

As soon as the Amazon man delivered my package on Father’s Day I opened it up, ran upstairs and jumped in the shower excited to give this thing a try. I put some pre shave oil on, lathered up my shave cream and gave it a go with a Parker blade. The shave resulted in blood all over my sink. I was disappointed but I knew I had to find a better blade. My second shave this week was with a Derby Platinum DE blade. The results were better but not great. My colleague gave me some Voskhod (not sure if spelled correctly) super iridium blades and I gave it a go tonight. This time I shaved in one direction with two total passes. My face thanked me tonight. It was a good shave with no nicks or cuts and I’m already anticipating my next shave in a day or so!

0 1
 06-22-2019, 12:03 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride. We're happy to have you with us Smile

3 6,415
 06-22-2019, 02:59 AM
User Info
Thanks for joining TSN.

147 14,190
 06-22-2019, 03:41 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

58 9,200
 06-22-2019, 04:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to TSN.  Try some Astra SP blades.  And like straight shaving, it's all about the angle and no pressure.

182 25,530
 06-22-2019, 05:26 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 948
 06-22-2019, 06:33 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
welcome to the group and now that you're all healed up hope your shaves are more enjoyable.

0 535
 06-24-2019, 01:18 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

27 5,229
 06-24-2019, 02:59 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
welcome. have fun and enjoy the ride.

0 283
 07-02-2019, 02:00 AM
User Info
Welcome to the forum Smile

2 96
 07-02-2019, 06:18 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Welcome to TSN. We’re glad you’re here. If you can shave with a straight, DE should be a piece of cake. Enjoy your shaves!

15 3,533
 07-02-2019, 02:49 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Welcome to TSN. It's a great place to be. You are using a straight and shavette so using a DE or SE should be no problem. However it is different, if for no other reason than the fact that you have a perpendicular handle. Like someone said above it is all about angles and no pressure. You already know that from using a straight. Remember to never let the blade "saw" on your face. In other words, you would never move your straight in a direction where the blade is slicing like cutting meat with a knife, don't let your safety razor travel that way either. Also, if you keep the angle shallow like the angle that you operate your straight at, you will be good. The cap can help there. You want to feel that the cap is on your skin. Guys call it "riding the cap."

11 805