09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
User Info
Despite my rough and tough looking avatar, I do enjoy a good cup of tea and find myself drinking tea more often than coffee. I find that tea keeps me more balanced, so to speak, than does coffee.

I enjoy a strong black or a good Earl Grey in the morning and either a nice green or oolong in the afternoon.

Any other tea drinker here? What's brewing in your cup/ pot today?

5 938
 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
Pi Lo Chun
or a good Oolong is what I like when I drink tea.

9 2,988
 09-18-2012, 08:08 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I exclusively drink tea now as I have a pretty low tolerance for caffeine, usually just Lipton Black Pearl as it is cheap, tastes good (I like honey and milk in mine)....and I don't have much for selection in my area of NM.

35 1,732
 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
(09-18-2012, 08:08 PM)Tonality Wrote: I exclusively drink tea now as I have a pretty low tolerance for caffeine, usually just Lipton Black Pearl as it is cheap, tastes good (I like honey and milk in mine)....and I don't have much for selection in my area of NM.

http://www.teaspring.com/

Straight from China.

9 2,988
 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
User Info
Tea is something drunk with almost every meal in our household. In fact, its almost a way of life. Most tea we drink will be a decent quality but fairly cheap black loose leaf tea or teabag which is usually a blend of Assam, Ceylon & Kenyan or pure Kenyan. Occasionally my wife and I will take some Earl Grey or Rose Petal. The black tea we buy from a family owned company by the name of Ringtons that still deliver door-to-door in their own liveried vans and the Earl Grey / Rose Petal are made by Twinings (pronounced Twine-ings) who are one of the oldest companies in the world still trading (Est. 1706).

We can't afford much in the way of luxury teas or coffees and I've never tried the likes of Oolong but you can keep your green tea all to yourself. Yuck! I suppose like most Brits we get most of what we like from a good strong black tea though some do like it quite weak too. Most of the time, I just take it with a little milk but very occasionally I'll add sugar like now. It's 5.17 in the morning, I ain't had a wink of sleep all night and the single teaspoon of sugar is a little comforter. In fact, hot sweet tea is recommended for just about anything bad that may happen! I very much share the opinion of Donald Pleasance's character in The Great Escape who opnies that, "Tea without milk is so uncivilized". I'm glad there's plenty of folks out there that will disagree with me - keeps life varied and interesting.

I know what you mean about tea keeping you more balanced. I do like a cup of coffee now and then but I've got watch what I'm about as it often makes me feel like I'm wired to the mains. Just a low caffeine tolerance I suppose. Now tell me, you do use a teapot right? Even when camping, the tea will be brewed in a separate vessel then dished out accordingly. This fling it in a mug and add boiling water carry has to stop! Seriously though, each to their own - I just prefer mine pot brewed. I don't how manly it is to develop a love of nice china though. Blush

Cheers all.

1 253
 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
i have never been a coffee drinker; used to drink some expresso when i was younger as i am Portuguese and it was a tradition;
however, since changing my diet, i have been drinking tea, exclusively, for the past 20 years; my favourite is organic shade-grown Yerba Mate; this one, specifically:
http://guayaki.com/
much different than conventional sun-grown mate;
i use a cup and bombilla (metallic straw); fantastic tea; takes a bit getting used to as it is smoked-dry, but great benefits. i highly recommend it!

75 20,883
 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
I do like Twinings Irish breakfast tea, and also like Earl Grey.

2 805
 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Oh Freddy is going to like this thread! Biggrin

45 16,274
 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM
User Info
One of the nicest teas I've ever had was Bewley's Irish Breakfast tea. My old mum was over in Ireland for a shopping trip with 'the girls' and brought some back. Fabulous stuff, can't recommend it too highly. Normally, I don't like Darjeeling although its known as the champagne of teas but this blend of Darjeeling and Assam is just grand.

Bewley's Irish Breakfast

P.S. Celestino, that Yerba Mate was a real education as I'd never heard of it so been doing some reading.

1 253
 09-18-2012, 09:54 PM
User Info
This is great...love seeing the variety in different parts of the world.

(09-18-2012, 08:44 PM)Gairdner Wrote: One of the nicest teas I've ever had was Bewley's Irish Breakfast tea. My old mum was over in Ireland for a shopping trip with 'the girls' and brought some back. Fabulous stuff, can't recommend it too highly. Normally, I don't like Darjeeling although its known as the champagne of teas but this blend of Darjeeling and Assam is just grand.

Bewley's Irish Breakfast

P.S. Celestino, that Yerba Mate was a real education as I'd never heard of it so been doing some reading.

That Brewleys looks great...I do love a good Irish breakfast blend. I work with a Scottish lady, I'll have to ask her if she has tried it.

5 938
 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
User Info
I started drinking tea at the university with my flatmates and visitors. Amazingly, we never went out to buy tea but we never did run out of the stuff. Others kept replenishing our cabinets. Interestingly, that has continued until now, many years later, as friends bring tea from their travels from around the world.

I am very intrigued by the favorite teas offered in this thread. Most recently, I have enjoyed two British teas, Twinings English Breakfast and PG Tips.

Like Tom and Graeme, I feel more balanced when I drink tea as opposed to coffee, but I do enjoy the latter occasionally.

When it comes to buying tea, I will keep an eye out for recommended sources of loose leaf green tea and chai tea, my wife's favorite. Looking into the links Lee and Celestino provided.

47 1,270
 09-18-2012, 11:33 PM
User Info
Here are a few of my favorite places to buy tea. Not much in the way of loose leaf nearby, except overpriced Teavanna, so I mostly buy online.

Harney and Sons: great variety, decently priced, good tea
http://www.harney.com

Jas-eTea: great selection of Chinese teas. The guy that runs it, Steve, is great and a fellow member on another shaving forum.
http://www.jas-etea.com

Shizuoka Tea: Japanese green teas.
http://shizuokatea.com

5 938
 09-19-2012, 02:34 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I dont drink tea that much. But then i do i usually go for Russian Earl Grey. Very refreshing with the citrus flavor.

0 284
 09-19-2012, 03:03 AM
User Info
I drink Barrys Red and Green, as well as Twinings English or Irish Breakfast. Mostly a Barrys guy though.

97 615
 09-19-2012, 03:44 AM
User Info
Adagio Silver Needle here in a Duluth Pack tea tumbler on a frosty morning. I'm not one for iced teas, but during Fall and Winter's chill, I have a few teas I enjoy.

1 345
 09-19-2012, 03:51 AM
User Info
I'm definitly more of a coffee hound myself, but the Better Half drinks tea enough to cover for the both of us. Mostly English Breakfast in the mornings, but I got her a year worth of tea from Stash and there is teas in there even I'll drink.

3 3,550
 09-19-2012, 05:19 AM
User Info
(09-18-2012, 11:33 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Here are a few of my favorite places to buy tea. Not much in the way of loose leaf nearby, except overpriced Teavanna, so I mostly buy online.

I can't stand Teavana. The sales staff is overbearing, their teas are barely teas, and as you said they're over priced. My wife bought me a gift certificate to Teavana for my birthday and I had to force myself to use it. Everything was at least twice as much as it should have been. What really irked me though, was when I was checking out and they were pressuring me to buy their tea tins to store it in. When I turned that down they acted shocked that I wouldn't buy their wonderful, reusable tin. When they told me that the tea would only stay fresh for a week in the bag they normally sell it in, I said loudly, "You mean you sell your tea in substandard bags? Indigo Tea across town uses air tight, sunlight blocking, heavy duty zip lock bags when you buy their tea and they don't even charge you extra for it." That shut them up

The place I buy from is very reasonable and they guy that runs the place spent several years in Taiwan as an interpreter. He knows his stuff. They also sell on-line if anyone is interested.

http://www.indigo-tea.com/

For the best sincha I've ever found, which is only sold for a short time each year, go to O-cha:

http://www.o-cha.com/

Expensive, but my, oh my...incredible sincha tea and you'll get at least 3 steepings out of it.

I used to buy from Adagio Tea, online, until I found Indigo Tea. I still use the electric kettle and tea pot I bought from them:

0 836
 09-19-2012, 06:03 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Earl Grey is one of my favorites along with green tea. Sometimes I put wild flower honey in it and enjoy it that way.

100 12,436
 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-18-2012, 08:44 PM)Gairdner Wrote: One of the nicest teas I've ever had was Bewley's Irish Breakfast tea. My old mum was over in Ireland for a shopping trip with 'the girls' and brought some back. Fabulous stuff, can't recommend it too highly.

Hi Graeme

Bewley's is (very) good stuff, but my Irish mother and grandmother (I spent my school summer holidays in Ireland every year) brought me up on Barry's Tea...

I'm lucky enough to be able to pick up Barry's here locally at a world import supermarket, Global Foods Market, plus my mum still sends me a couple of care parcels a year Love

[Image: w81wG.jpg]

Typical care parcel from mum

[Image: Qg7Ay.jpg]

My tea mug & used tea bag holder (used, dried out tea bags go on the compost pile)

(09-19-2012, 05:19 AM)5Savages Wrote: The place I buy from is very reasonable and they guy that runs the place spent several years in Taiwan as an interpreter. He knows his stuff. They also sell on-line if anyone is interested.

http://www.indigo-tea.com/

Hi Pat

Bookmarked!

When I worked (Tuku) and lived (Chiayi City) in Taiwan I enjoyed going to a Tea House every couple of weeks and spending a few hours there drinking tea, relaxing and chatting... happy memories...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
(09-19-2012, 08:51 AM)mikeperry Wrote: When I worked (Tuku) and lived (Chiayi City) in Taiwan I enjoyed going to a Tea House every couple of weeks and spending a few hours there drinking tea, relaxing and chatting... happy memories...

Take care, Mike

That sound very relaxing! Neal and Annie at Indigo Tea opened their tea house in 2005 and there have a couple of low tables near the window with tatami rice mats. They always seem to be taken when I go there. But then I spend most of my time chatting with Neal about the new teas he has in and what not.

http://www.examiner.com/article/experien...ea-company

0 836