09-19-2012, 12:05 AM
User Info
I was perusing Amazon this evening and came across this rather humorous (well I think so) 5 star review of the VDH shave kit (bowl, brush, soap)...I guess we are snobs.

Its fine, don't be a snob.

Got this kit for about $8.50 at a Wal-Mart.

And, considering the price, its an awesome value.

Here's the thing about brush shaving, its really nice. It feels good on your face, it results in a nice close shave, and its honestly kinda fun to do it the old school way.

The bad part is, you go on the internet and find out that there's a super elite group of people who will tell you that THIS brand of shave soap is the best soap and you should only use THIS brand of badger brush because the other types don't compare and how you can only use THIS kind of razor because the other kinds will somehow destroy your face and make shaving the kind of unspeakable horror only sick, twisted people dare entertain their minds with.

The point I'm trying to make is this: there isactually a community of shaving snobs. People who've actually invested over a hundred dollars in particular,elite equipment to SCRAPE LITTLE HAIRS OFF THEIR CHINS!!!!

So they see this cheapo set and turn their noses up at it, because its ONLY EIGHT DOLLARS and you can BUY IT AT WAL-MART!!!

I do like wet shaving. Its a good shave. I shave with a double edge safety razor (a Merkur) and this particular kit. And it works out GREAT!!!

So here's my review:

THE BRUSH: Its a boars hair brush, and its fine. It lathers well, it works the way it should, its not rough on my face at all. Yes, it has a plastic handle. WHO CARES?!?!?!?! Its the HANDLE of a friggin BRUSH!!! Do your hands start on fire if they touch plastic? Do you get an allergic reaction if your fingertips handle a brush thats not metal or wood? If you answered "No" to both those questions, then you're fine. Complaining about the material of a shaving brush handle makes you a snob.

THE BOWL: Its a bowl. The soap sits in it, it holds steady when you lather. Its fine. You know why? Because its a FREAKIN' BOWL!!! How do you honestly complain about a bowl? It functions, it doesn't offend the eye, its fine. Don't be a snob.

THE SOAP: Honestly, I've tried so many canned shaving creams its ridiculous. I'm a man with sensitive skin and it doesn't matter how moisturizing the cream was,I still had nicks and cuts and irritated skin. So imagine my surprise to find this soap to be a key part of a very clean, enjoyable shave. I seriously get better results from this soap than I do with my gels and creams. Way to go, VDH shaving soap. Are there better shaving soaps? Probably. Do I care? No, because this one leaves my face moisturized and refreshed, costs 1.80 per bar, and I can actually get it without ordering it over the internet.

BOTTOM LINE: A great wet shave kit, especially for the price. Avoid the snobby opinions and give it an honest shot. If you're not a total tool you'll probably be surprised by how nice this kit is.

There are plenty of things in this world where the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail make a huge difference. Guitars are such a product. Automobiles are another. Shaving brushes and bowls are NOT!!!

Don't be a dumb shaving snob, just go shave your face, then start investing yourself in something thats actually important.

5 938
 09-19-2012, 12:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well then, according to him I am a snob and a member of a super elite group of people.

Well, I'm proud to say I am glad to be a member.

It's apparent this person has not been on The Shave Nook. We don't ridicule or look down on anyone for what products they use.

173 23,555
 09-19-2012, 12:20 AM
User Info
I would never knock someone for using low cost products, and I have used many successfully myself. Someone must have really rubbed him the wrong way. I think the review was from 2009, so definitely not the Nook.

5 938
 09-19-2012, 12:47 AM
User Info
YMMV, but if the review wants to see us as snobs then... well:

[Image: im-ok-with-this.png]

Honestly, I fear to think what the review would say about me using a 2.45 horse brush from Turkey, a 1.98 ARKO stick, and a 2.98 YUMA razor... snobbery of the highest order, I tell y'all. I guess I need to start shaving with my pinky sticking out Tongue

3 3,580
 09-19-2012, 12:51 AM
User Info
This post did make me smile, but it is unfortunate something happened to cause someone to miss out on the TWS community.

He does make a point: one doesn't NEED expensive items to enjoy this pastime. I do disagree that wetshaving goods are somehow different from guitars or automobiles... craftsmanship DOES make a difference. These types of things come down to personal preference.

47 1,270
 09-19-2012, 01:15 AM
User Info
For the most part, I find the wet shaving community to be one of the most non-elitest and supportive groups around. Many of us turned to wet shaving in search or a better, more economical (at least we thought) shave and started out with those lower end items and in many cases still use those same low cost items...I still bust out my Tweezerman and a puck of VDH from time to time.

5 938
 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
. Well my partner says i´m a snoob when it comes to taste in a lot of thing so who knows? Wink

(09-19-2012, 12:51 AM)kentclark Wrote: This post did make me smile, but it is unfortunate something happened to cause someone to miss out on the TWS community.

He does make a point: one doesn't NEED expensive items to enjoy this pastime. I do disagree that wetshaving goods are somehow different from guitars or automobiles... craftsmanship DOES make a difference. These types of things come down to personal preference.

Yes i totaly agree. Craftmanship does make a difference. Not price. I have used cheap (not performance) priced Arko + G.z.d soaps and a cheap turkish soapbrush that have hold for nearly 1 year now. I shaved today with my Cadet tp-26 oc razor for 24 usd. They are all great well made products without the showing of factor or any snoobery involved.

0 284
 09-19-2012, 03:58 AM
User Info
*checks out holding the 3.00 Gillette Tech and the 6.00 Reynolds straight with my pinkie sticking out*

Biggrin

Seriously, who cares what something costs as long as you like it and it works!

1 345
 09-19-2012, 04:21 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Ahh...an elite group at last!

42 1,041
 09-19-2012, 04:48 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I never knew that buying quality products for shaving would make me a snob. I just enjoy a great shave and no it does not cost $100 to do so.

1 3,507
 09-19-2012, 04:54 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think we all started this to "save" money. I'd like to know when that starts Biggrin

But seriously, you can get a great shave with the items mentioned but I look at it differently. For years I shaved with the same Gillette Creation (Sensor Excel, Mach 3, Fusion), the same gel (Edge), and finished it off with some sort of cheap balm. My face was a mess, hated to shave, and it was a get it done as quickly as possible type thing. I don't consider choices snobbery because for so long for me it was either a Schick Multiblade or a Gillette Multiblade. I like having a few razors to use. I like having a different brush for every day of the week, and I like the choices of whether to use not only a soap or cream, but several of my choosing.

116 3,804
 09-19-2012, 05:12 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
My Wal-Mart Salsa Bowl is a tool of the super elite. You can call me Biff-fro. I will be on the squash courts.

12 648
 09-19-2012, 05:17 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(09-19-2012, 05:12 AM)J_fro Wrote: My Wal-Mart Salsa Bowl is a tool of the super elite. You can call me Biff-fro. I will be on the squash courts.

+1 on the Walmart Salsa Bowl. I have a black and green one. I keep trying to complete the set but they're out of the orange one.

116 3,804
 09-19-2012, 06:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-19-2012, 05:17 AM)Dave Wrote:
(09-19-2012, 05:12 AM)J_fro Wrote: My Wal-Mart Salsa Bowl is a tool of the super elite. You can call me Biff-fro. I will be on the squash courts.

+1 on the Walmart Salsa Bowl. I have a black and green one. I keep trying to complete the set but they're out of the orange one.

A green one! You are a elitist, all I have is the black one.Biggrin

173 23,555
 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Well the next time I'm at Walmart I'm picking you up a green one !!!

116 3,804
 09-19-2012, 06:44 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I think I remember reading this a couple of years ago or one similar to this posted on another forum. Really funny stuff. Cool

10 1,120
 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
There is actually many "anti-snobs" for every snob group. I, for one, couldn't be more proud to be an elitest-millions-of-dollars-spending-enjoying-and-not-caring shaving snob! Biggrin

EDIT - That brush sucks!

88 4,233
 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Yesterday I couldn't even spell eleetest - Now today I is one!

I didn't get into this hobby/lifestyle to save $$$. If I wanted to save $$$ I would just quit shaving altogether. I really got into it just to try something different.

So if different = snob, then I guess I'm a different kind of snob!?

~Frank

Brotherhood of the Elitist Snob Traditional Shavers

18 271
 09-19-2012, 07:20 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I dont mind to admit that Im a snob! (and I dont want to use the VdH shaving brush...)

86 7,124
 09-19-2012, 07:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-19-2012, 06:43 AM)Dave Wrote: Well the next time I'm at Walmart I'm picking you up a green one !!!

No need Dave, we have a Wal-Mart. But thanks for the offer. The postage would cost more than the salsa bowl.

173 23,555