09-19-2012, 05:13 AM
User Info
I spend a fair bit of time in my small garden and lavender has been a favourite scent of mine for as long as I can remember so I was pootling around the internet and came across a few Lavender water suitable for men. Being a tight fisted Scotsman the Cella Eau de Lavande appeals to me as its a lot of product for not a lot of money but is it any good? I know Cella have a very good rep for their shaving soaps but do their fragrances match up and does this, as a cologne, have a lasting scent? Another would be the TOBS Lavender Water which I really like the idea of but its more expensive and there is less of it. Anyone use the TOBS? Any others out there I should be considering?

Thanks folks.

1 253
 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
Personally, I think lavender smells too flowery for me.

9 2,988
 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Trumper's Lavender Water is nice. A very herbal lavender with decent lasting ability; something that most "pure" lavender scents lack. It's not flowery at all. A gentleman's take on lavender.

A terrific, masculine lavender EdT is Arome 3 by D'Orsay if you can find that one to sample. Loads of lavender with the addition of some woods and musk. The lavender is at the forefront with the base really supporting it and it lasts all day.

And there is always Puig's Agua Lavanda. A soapy lavender dating back to 1940 and supposedly Frank Sinatra's favorite. Biggrin This one is the most attractively priced of these three. Splash with abandon.

6 905
 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
I have a bit of TOBS Lavender Water that I occasionally use as an aftershave. It is quite nice, a wee bit herbal, but not terribly long lasting - a fate of most lavenders. I understand that the D.R. Harris is a bit less herbal, and is advertised as having a bit of musk for longevity. D.R. Harris may be my next lavender water buy, for I truly favor their lavender shaving soap. As to edts, you might consider Caron Pour Homme which has vanilla to help in the longevity department. I wear it a lot and enjoy it. Plus it is relative inexpensive. You might try to find a sample.

Edit: on other forums, Caldey Island lavender is mentioned a lot as being THE best lavender scent, but with poor longevity. Because it is from your general area, shipping would undoubtedly be less expensive than what I would have to pay. I did try a sample and it is quite nice (for as long as it lasts).

3 543
 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM
User Info
Thank you very much for these suggestions, chaps!

1 253
 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I am currently using Aqua Lavanda Puig. This is my first lavanda after shave and I really like it. Its an old time after shave that was used many years ago by Frank Sinatra. And very inexpensive.

100 12,438
 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
Aqua Lavanda Puig user here as well but in glass bottles instead of the plastic . Juice is diffrent in the plastic

0 61
 09-24-2012, 03:24 AM
User Info
Cella Eau de Lavande gets used quite often around here, its stronger and more masculine than the British offerings, the only problem is it goes on harsh, but it smooths up beautifully... I wind up smelling like a bar of Yardley an hour or so later.

0 652
 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
User Info
I had the puig and sold it. I love lavender soaps - RR KL, MdC, Tabula Rasa etc, but somehow the AS/EdTs dont seem very good to my nose.

8 279
 09-28-2012, 02:31 AM
User Info
(09-24-2012, 03:24 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Cella Eau de Lavande gets used quite often around here, its stronger and more masculine than the British offerings, the only problem is it goes on harsh, but it smooths up beautifully... I wind up smelling like a bar of Yardley an hour or so later.

How do you find the scent lasts? More masculine sounds better as some of the more floral scents, despite what I said above' are starting to turn my stomach a bit. There sure is some expensive stuff out there!

1 253
 09-28-2012, 03:11 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 02:31 AM)Gairdner Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 03:24 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Cella Eau de Lavande gets used quite often around here, its stronger and more masculine than the British offerings, the only problem is it goes on harsh, but it smooths up beautifully... I wind up smelling like a bar of Yardley an hour or so later.

How do you find the scent lasts? More masculine sounds better as some of the more floral scents, despite what I said above' are starting to turn my stomach a bit. There sure is some expensive stuff out there!

Its not a potent cologne even though the scent packs a punch, the scent dies down on me after a couple hours. I still will catch a whiff of it at the end of the work day, but its not noticeable by others.

I personally use it more like an aftershave and body tonic.

0 652
 09-28-2012, 03:16 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 03:11 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 02:31 AM)Gairdner Wrote:

Its not a strong cologne, the scent dies down on me after a couple hours. I still will catch a whiff of it at the end of the work day, but its not noticeable by others.

Thanks for the quick reply! That sounds just fine with me and a wee splash now and then to lift the spirits would be grand especially with the rain continuing to pelt down. Honestly, Scotland should be making a fortune by shipping water around the world as I cannot imagine there ever being a shortage!

All the best.

1 253
 09-28-2012, 03:27 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 03:16 AM)Gairdner Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:11 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 02:31 AM)Gairdner Wrote: How do you find the scent lasts? More masculine sounds better as some of the more floral scents, despite what I said above' are starting to turn my stomach a bit. There sure is some expensive stuff out there!

Its not a strong cologne, the scent dies down on me after a couple hours. I still will catch a whiff of it at the end of the work day, but its not noticeable by others.

Thanks for the quick reply! That sounds just fine with me and a wee splash now and then to lift the spirits sounds grand. Especially with the rain continuing to pelt down. Honestly, Scotland should be making a fortune by shipping water around the world as I cannot imagine there ever being a shortage!

All the best.

It will lift the spirits alright, probably the hairs on the back of your neck too, straight out of the bottle it packs a right hook. Biggrin

0 652
 09-28-2012, 03:34 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 03:27 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:16 AM)Gairdner Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:11 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Its not a strong cologne, the scent dies down on me after a couple hours. I still will catch a whiff of it at the end of the work day, but its not noticeable by others.

Thanks for the quick reply! That sounds just fine with me and a wee splash now and then to lift the spirits sounds grand. Especially with the rain continuing to pelt down. Honestly, Scotland should be making a fortune by shipping water around the world as I cannot imagine there ever being a shortage!

All the best.

It will lift the spirits alright, probably the hairs on the back of your neck too, straight out of the bottle it packs a right hook. Biggrin
Smacked in the face by a flower, oh the shame! Biggrin

1 253
 09-28-2012, 03:58 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 03:34 AM)Gairdner Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:27 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:16 AM)Gairdner Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply! That sounds just fine with me and a wee splash now and then to lift the spirits sounds grand. Especially with the rain continuing to pelt down. Honestly, Scotland should be making a fortune by shipping water around the world as I cannot imagine there ever being a shortage!

All the best.

Haha, more like smacked in the face with a bar of Yardley Lavender soap but yeah. Cool

0 652
 09-28-2012, 04:11 AM
User Info
.....Atkinson's English Lavender is fantastic...

.....and if you ever see Coldinava Lavender cologne....grab it, you won't be sorry......

39 1,054
 09-28-2012, 04:15 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 03:58 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:34 AM)Gairdner Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 03:27 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: It will lift the spirits alright, probably the hairs on the back of your neck too, straight out of the bottle it packs a right hook. Biggrin

Haha, more like smacked in the face with a bar of Yardley Lavender soap but yeah. Cool
Ooh, Mother! (shyly comments that he quite likes Yardley lavender soap Blush)

1 253