07-02-2019, 06:22 AM
User Info
I just bought a Gillette single ring from the 1920s on EBay. It hasn’t arrived yet. I have heard that running razors through a dishwasher cycle is a good way to clean and sterilize them. Thoughts?

0 143
 07-02-2019, 06:39 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'd not use the dishwasher, Scrubbing Bubbles will clean off the old soap residue and disinfect.  The Single Ring was either plated in gold or silver and the plating won't be improved by any harsh treatments.  

I didn't realize that Amazon was selling vintage razors - the Old Type is a good razor, congrats!

60 632
 07-02-2019, 06:54 AM
User Info
The old type is a great shaver, and the Single Ring is a somewhat rare find. Last I cleaned out a vintage razor I used hot water, mild soap, a soft toothbrush and lots of elbow grease - a dishwasher might be more than the old gal can handle Tongue

3 6,494
 07-02-2019, 08:24 AM
User Info
I agree with the mild soap approach. I use Dawn dishwashing liquid.  If it is safe for birds covered in oil, it is safe for my razors.  For silver plated razors I will use aluminum foil, baking soda and boiling water.  Works like a charm and shines up that silver really nicely.

2 316
 07-02-2019, 01:37 PM
User Info
I soak a vintage razor in hot soapy water, take it out after 15-20 minutes, and then I put liquid dish soap on it, and use an automatic toothbrush with the softest bristles I can find.

That always seems to work like a charm for me!

Vr

Matt

29 1,456
 07-02-2019, 02:40 PM
User Info
(07-02-2019, 06:39 AM)garyg Wrote: I'd not use the dishwasher, Scrubbing Bubbles will clean off the old soap residue and disinfect.  The Single Ring was either plated in gold or silver and the plating won't be improved by any harsh treatments.  

I didn't realize that Amazon was selling vintage razors - the Old Type is a good razor, congrats!

Sorry, I bought it on EBay, not Amazon. Judging from the picture, I suspect the plating has mostly rubbed off.

0 143
 07-02-2019, 02:45 PM
User Info
Suppose g the plating is mostly gone, is there any point in replating it? Is it worth the cost

0 143
 07-02-2019, 03:04 PM
User Info
(07-02-2019, 02:45 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Suppose g the plating is mostly gone, is there any point in replating it? Is it worth the cost

If it is dented...deeply scratched...etc, I wouldn’t get it replated.

Only you can evaluate if the cost of replating it is worth it though...you are the one ponying up the dough and using the razor!

Vr

Matt

29 1,456
 07-02-2019, 09:26 PM
User Info
I would clean it with dish soap and a small, soft toothbrush.

59 9,321
 07-02-2019, 10:59 PM
User Info
Thanks for the advice. If I could figure out how to post a picture here, I would do it. Maybe the plating isn’t as far gone as I think. It looks very brassy.

0 143
 07-03-2019, 03:38 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I use the little soft brush that came with my BBS-1 (I no longer have the razor) to give the vintage razor a good scrubbing with mild soap. Then I soak it in the disinfectant Barbicide for a while.

197 4,088
 07-13-2019, 10:46 PM
User Info
So some people put the vintage razor in the dishwasher and I have done it and it's great for disinfecting the razor, however if the razor has coating/color, it will ruin it (I ruined a super adjustable that way and had to paint the black handle afterwards)

So this is what I recommend:
use scrubbing bubbles (let it stay on for a few minutes) - then a nylon toothbrush or a regular soft toothbrush and clean the razor under hot/medium hot water.
do the same with dawn dish washer liquid for extra cleaning 
once it's clean you should put it in barbicide to disinfect (no more than 10 minutes), if you don't have barbicide use rubbing alcohol
wash it again very well
then you can put a drop or two of mineral oil in holes or places where/if it squeaks
you can polish using Flitz Polish (not necessary)
as far as replating, I wouldn't bother unless if it has some sentimental value to you.

0 12
 07-14-2019, 03:48 AM
User Info
Vinegar and a old tooth brush works for calcium, corrosion and sanitizing 
But it won't make a silk purse out of a sows ear
It is a good cleaner because of it light acidic property's
Remember to rinse any cleaned item with water and towel dry     
  Smile

0 40
 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM
User Info
(07-02-2019, 02:45 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Suppose g the plating is mostly gone, is there any point in replating it? Is it worth the cost

See if you like the razor and if you do, then
Then buy one thats completely refinished/rebuilt 
It can be purchased possibly cheaper than the 
Price of replating

0 40
 Yesterday, 01:13 AM
User Info
An ultrasonic cleaner does the most work with least chemicals

1 56
 8 hours ago
User Info
I just bought a Flare tip SS and a Schick Krona and they were filthy. I sprayed them till soaked with WD-40(it is a cleaner also), let it sit for about 30 mins then wiped clean. them I took a bowl and fill will very hot water and used quite a bit of dawn and let soak over night. The junk in the bottom of the bowl was unreal, but then I took a tooth brush and did that part and then I repeated the dawn and hot water and got the rest of the gunk out and now they look like almost new razors.

0 24