07-04-2019, 10:48 AM
User Info
Gents,

Lately my shaving world has been being turned upside down with finding the Wilkinson Sticky and Star Model 100 razors, vintage blades, and the vintage soaps.  So I should have assumed I would have a completely unexpected revelation with something else out of right field.  That revelation came in the form of Shannon’s Soaps Coconut Lime w/ Premium Goats Milk Edition.

I bought this Shannon’s Shave Soap on a whim, and once it arrived I just threw it in a drawer, and to be honest, I was just gonna give it away or eventually sell it in a bundle on the BST.  I am getting so dialed in with these vintage soaps and my Stirling soaps, I just lost interest!

After one use of this soap I am VERY VERY impressed! It produced a ridiculous lather that looked like thick and shiny sour cream, but one that smelled of wonderful lime and coconuts.  It’s a really sweet summertime scent!  The performance was second to none in all categories.  I am a big residual slickness guy, and I was especially pleased with this soap’s performance in that category!

To begin with I took a bottle of Dasani water, heated up the water, and poured some on the puck in the plastic container.  I allowed it to sit on the top layer of the soap while I showered.

After showering I loaded the brush for 20 seconds, and proceeded to bowl lather, adding a spoonful of the bloom water as needed.  The lather produced was in my opinion beautiful, and pretty close to perfection.  It was plenty for four passes, and the end result was a BBBS shave!

Equipment Used:

Soap:  Shannon’s Soaps Coconut Lime Premium Goats Milk Edition

Brush:  Rick Montalvo Black Tuxedo Synthetic 

Razor:  Star Model 100

Blade:  Some vintage Wilkinson Blade that was Made in England, but it had a black wrapper on it with German Words...first use...wonderfully sharp and smooth!  If anyone has any of these that they want to sell, please get in touch!

Aftershave:  Small Batch Winter Reserve Shave Tonic

Aftershave Balm:  Castle Forbes Lime

EDP:  Hemingway Accoutrements

At any rate, if you are looking for a great summertime shave soap, this one might be worth a look!

I hope that everyone is having a nice 4th of July!

Vr

Matt

[Image: ImY0REu.jpg][Image: jY2PR1v.jpg][Image: wiX5Usj.jpg][Image: zZsfcKp.jpg][Image: dHuy5UP.jpg][Image: seHpLHF.jpg][Image: 3aKJPKd.jpg][Image: lf3XGzU.jpg][Image: CqhnGsp.jpg]

29 1,363
 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM
User Info
I was shocked (in a good way) by Shannon's soap.  In the top best, overtaking Nuavia.

1 80
 07-04-2019, 01:25 PM
User Info
(07-04-2019, 12:45 PM)certif Wrote: I was shocked (in a good way) by Shannon's soap.  In the top best, overtaking Nuavia.

Misha...it sure is some great stuff...right near the top!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-05-2019, 03:09 PM
User Info
I would love to hear a comparison with grooming department

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

0 147
 07-05-2019, 03:54 PM
User Info
That will have to be made by someone else. I haven’t tried any GD.

I did like it so much though, I might give it another whirl for my next shave, but with the Wilkinson Sticky razor and a personna 74 blade...same brush!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-06-2019, 10:20 AM
User Info
Thanks for the reminder I forgot how good the goat milk soap is. I just ordered the coconut /lime

29 393
 07-06-2019, 01:56 PM
User Info
(07-06-2019, 10:20 AM)morecolor Wrote: Thanks for the reminder I forgot how good the goat milk soap is. I just ordered the coconut /lime

I am going to order more as well. However, I am waiting until the fall! The heat probably won’t affect the soap too much during shipping right now, but why risk it when I am not in short supply!

I apply the same principle to cigars. I only buy and have them shipped to me in the fall.

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-06-2019, 03:28 PM
User Info
(07-06-2019, 01:56 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 10:20 AM)morecolor Wrote: Thanks for the reminder I forgot how good the goat milk soap is. I just ordered the coconut /lime

I am going to order more as well. However, I am waiting until the fall! The heat probably won’t affect the soap too much during shipping right now, but why risk it when I am not in short supply!

I apply the same principle to cigars. I only buy and have them shipped to me in the fall.

Vr

Matt
^^^
Same here, But I don’t have the discipline to wait..
Lol
The coconut sounds great for the summer

29 393
 07-06-2019, 03:43 PM
User Info
Nice review! I have a tub of the reserve formula (with goat milk) in lakeshore drive, a scent which I adore. Shannon’s reserve is an excellent soap base, very underrated.

35 1,841
 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM
User Info
Thanks Mike!

Well...I was wondering if I could replicate the amazing shave that I had the other day with this soap.

I am happy to report that today’s shave was every bit as good as the previous! Since I hadn’t shaved since the original post, I had a few days of growth and opted for the slightly more aggressive Gillette Aristocrat 1948+ with the Personna 74 blade on its 4th use.

It was just a magnificent shave, and in my opinion this soap is elite/top tier all the way! I will be buying more in the fall!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-07-2019, 04:17 PM
User Info
(07-06-2019, 03:43 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Nice review! I have a tub of the reserve formula (with goat milk) in lakeshore drive, a scent which I adore. Shannon’s reserve is an excellent soap base, very underrated.

+1 on the Lakeshore Drive.... love that scent.  I also had to order a Coconut Lime on Matt's fine assessment.  It is a pretty perfect summer scent now that the hot weather is here to stay for a bit.

7 159
 07-08-2019, 07:00 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Matt, welcome to the club. Congratulations, you have arrived! Shannon makes a great shave soap. I’m a big fan. Love, love, love Shannon’s Soaps.

15 3,535
 07-08-2019, 07:49 AM
User Info
Thanks Chaz! How is the silk pajamas fragrance? It sounds cool pretty nice, and that will likely be what I purchase in a few months.

I am gonna be out a little past your neck of the woods in Mattituck for a few days! Fingers crossed for nice weather!

Looking forward to it!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-08-2019, 08:38 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-08-2019, 07:49 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Thanks Chaz! How is the silk pajamas fragrance? It sounds cool pretty nice, and that will likely be what I purchase in a few months.

I am gonna be out a little past your neck of the woods in Mattituck for a few days! Fingers crossed for nice weather!

Looking forward to it!

Vr

Matt

I haven’t tried Silk Pajamas, however I imagine it’s quite suave and Hefner-esque.

Enjoy the East End. The north fork is most pleasant. I hope you’re planning on visiting some wineries.

Also, one of the oldest general stores still in existence is in Southold, one town over from Mattituck. It’s called Rothman’s. The owner’s name is Ron. He’s a good guy. I’ve done a couple of guitar deals with him over the years. The store is super old school. For example, among other items he also sells vacuum bags, French onion soup crocks, washing machines and guitars.

15 3,535
 07-08-2019, 08:48 AM
User Info
This picture was taken yesterday...and thanks for the tip on the store...if I get a chance I will check it out!  Sounds interesting and unique!

Vr

Matt[Image: K1dFGSD.jpg]

29 1,363
 07-08-2019, 12:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Beautiful! Enjoy the sunsets Biggrin

If you get to Rothman’s, if Ron asks how you came upon his store, tell him I’m Bruce’s friend. He’ll know who you’re talking about. My friend Bruce is a legend in the Long Island second hand guitar market. It’s been a couple of years now since I’ve seen Ron, but I believe he’d remember me.

15 3,535
 07-08-2019, 04:09 PM
User Info
(07-08-2019, 12:39 PM)chazt Wrote: Beautiful! Enjoy the sunsets Biggrin

If you get to Rothman’s, if Ron asks how you came upon his store, tell him I’m Bruce’s friend. He’ll know who you’re talking about. My friend Bruce is a legend in the Long Island second hand guitar market. It’s been a couple of years now since I’ve seen Ron, but I believe he’d remember me.

Roger that Chaz...I might be able to go on Thursday!

The sunsets are amazing...our spot is right where you can see CT only on the very clearest of days!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-08-2019, 07:20 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Hmmm. Pretty high praise.

This has prompted me to retrieve Haymarket Vetiver from the box in the basement. It's not a goat's milk formula. Maybe that's why I don't recall it being exceptional. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it does.

65 1,867
 07-09-2019, 02:13 AM
User Info
(07-08-2019, 07:20 PM)MaxP Wrote: Hmmm. Pretty high praise.

This has prompted me to retrieve Haymarket Vetiver from the box in the basement. It's not a goat's milk formula. Maybe that's why I don't recall it being exceptional. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it does.

Hi Max! I can’t comment on the regular formula, because this is the only soap of theirs that I have tried. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the regular base.

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I used Haymarket Vetiver this morning. And its good soap. Easy to lather. Pretty slick. Good after shave feel on my face.
Good soap, but not great IMHO.

It was consigned to the box in the basement however because of it's particular vetiver scent. It just didn't make me go "mmm."

Pretty fickle, huh?

65 1,867