07-05-2019, 01:09 PM
User Info
hello all i just ordered this yesterday.. Did i do okay? what kind of junior is it? any advise on this razor??[Image: AUkgt4C.jpg][Image: gKJFDI1.jpg][Image: 6DOvhZA.jpg]

0 14
 07-05-2019, 08:20 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
GEM renamed the 1912 the Junior at some point.  Assuming the handle is original, this looks like one of the later 1912/Juniors - from the 1930s.

Still - a very good shaver - as aggressive as you want it to be - and will work well with modern Stainless PTFE (Personna GEM style) blades or carbon steel (Treet/PAL/GEM blue star style) blades.  If you use carbon steel, dry them or they will start to rust after one use.  Some say the carbon steel blades are sharper, so they are willing to dry them.  

Do not buy hardware store paint scraper blades for use in any razor.  If you are lucky, a local drugstore/pharmacy will carry proper GEM / Personna / Treet blades meant for shaving. 

If you are less lucky, well, there's always the internet. 
https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...-10-blades

Did you do OK?  Depends on what you paid - these razors are pretty common but well made - and are generally the recommended starter razor for GEM style blades (at least vintage razors)  All the newer GEM models will cost you much more than the common vintage models will.  The newer ones (Blackland Sabre/ATT G1/Rocknel), are stainless steel - but there's nothing wrong with brass (which is what this is made of) either. 

Looks like maybe a small bit of verdigris (the green) has formed - you should be able to remove that (google for 'remove verdigris').

Flat against the face with slow, short strokes until you find the angle that works best for you.   This razor will surprise you with how well it shaves. 
The only challenging area for all these GEM type razors is below the nose. 

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how you do.

15 170
 07-06-2019, 11:48 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I had been looking at the Gems but a NOS Gillette old type head with a reconditioned with carbon fiber handle for $35 caught my eye. not sure about NOS or the handle but the photos looked good.

I am hoping to read your review of the Gem. For some reason it seems important to have one of every kind of razor.

0 286
 07-06-2019, 07:03 PM
User Info
The GEM Jr is a nice razor. Walgreens has GEM SS blades and CVS has GEM carbon steel blades.

32 6,570
 07-06-2019, 10:20 PM
User Info
(07-05-2019, 08:20 PM)norton Wrote: GEM renamed the 1912 the Junior at some point.  Assuming the handle is original, this looks like one of the later 1912/Juniors - from the 1930s.

Still - a very good shaver - as aggressive as you want it to be - and will work well with modern Stainless PTFE (Personna GEM style) blades or carbon steel (Treet/PAL/GEM blue star style) blades.  If you use carbon steel, dry them or they will start to rust after one use.  Some say the carbon steel blades are sharper, so they are willing to dry them.  

Do not buy hardware store paint scraper blades for use in any razor.  If you are lucky, a local drugstore/pharmacy will carry proper GEM / Personna / Treet blades meant for shaving. 

Did you do OK?  Depends on what you paid - these razors are pretty common but well made - and are generally the recommended starter razor for GEM style blades (at least vintage razors)  All the newer GEM models will cost you much more than the common vintage models will.  The newer ones (Blackland Sabre/ATT G1/Rocknel), are stainless steel - but there's nothing wrong with brass (which is what this is made of) either. 

Looks like maybe a small bit of verdigris (the green) has formed - you should be able to remove that (google for 'remove verdigris').

Flat against the face with slow, short strokes until you find the angle that works best for you.   This razor will surprise you with how well it shaves. 

i paid 7.24 cents

0 14
 07-06-2019, 10:22 PM
User Info
(07-05-2019, 08:20 PM)norton Wrote: GEM renamed the 1912 the Junior at some point.  Assuming the handle is original, this looks like one of the later 1912/Juniors - from the 1930s.

also Thanks....

0 14
 07-06-2019, 10:23 PM
User Info
(07-06-2019, 11:48 AM)RyznRio Wrote: I had been looking at the Gems but a NOS Gillette old type head with a reconditioned with carbon fiber handle for $35 caught my eye. not sure about NOS or the handle but the photos looked good.

I am hoping to read your review of the Gem. For some reason it seems important to have one of every kind of razor.

will post thoughts after i get it which will be monday . i will probably not use it till later in the week due to cleaning it up first.

0 14
 07-06-2019, 11:05 PM
User Info
The GEM 1912 is a very nice little SE razor in my book and very enjoyable to shave with. Just remember that you'll have to watch the angle to get the most out of it. I find that keeping the top cap almost flat to my face works best

(07-06-2019, 10:20 PM)jaro101969 Wrote: i paid 7.24 cents

I would argue that you did good Smile

3 6,417
 07-07-2019, 12:11 AM
User Info
(07-06-2019, 11:05 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The GEM 1912 is a very nice little SE razor in my book and very enjoyable to shave with. Just remember that you'll have to watch the angle to get the most out of it. I find that keeping the top cap almost flat to my face works best

Thank you. I thought i got it for pretty cheap but wasnt sure. I was okay with how much it was so i guess in the end thats what really matters. Right.

0 14
 07-07-2019, 09:36 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(07-07-2019, 12:11 AM)jaro101969 Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 11:05 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The GEM 1912 is a very nice little SE razor in my book and very enjoyable to shave with. Just remember that you'll have to watch the angle to get the most out of it. I find that keeping the top cap almost flat to my face works best

Thank you. I thought i got it for pretty cheap but wasnt sure. I was okay with how much it was so i guess in the end thats what really matters. Right.

I would say that you did good too. 

Those all brass GEMS are nearly indestructible, and prices have crept up lately.

15 170
 07-07-2019, 02:41 PM
User Info
(07-07-2019, 09:36 AM)norton Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 12:11 AM)jaro101969 Wrote:

I would say that you did good too. 

Those all brass GEMS are nearly indestructible, and prices have crept up lately.

thanks for the comment....i guess we shall see tomorrow when it should get here....

0 14