09-19-2012, 08:40 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250449.JPG?m=1348070095]

The RazoRock S.Maria shaving cream soap was introduced on the market earlier in the year , and since then , have been pleasing a lot of wet shavers who were looking for a quality shaving cream with an Eucalyptus hint.There a lot of Proraso/Santa Maria La Novella lovers who recommended me this shaving cream since they considered it am excellent one.

I must say that Im not a menthol or even Eucalyptus lover and I was expecting a cream like Proraso or Santa Maria la Novella : well , that's not 100% the case. Joseph (Joe from RazoRock) explained that S. Maria was "inspired" of Santa Maria la Novella shaving cream but with many differences.Current Santa Maria la Novella formulation is :

[Image: SMN3.jpg]

and the S. Maria shaving cream are :

[Image: P1250445.JPG?m=1348070155]

As you can see , the Santa Maria La Novella shaving cream formulation is full of parabens,SLE,Boric Acid,BHT , menthol and camphor and listed lanolin as one of the latest ingredients (I must say also that I dont know if Ludovico Martelli have changed the SMN formulation like the Proraso one) while S. Maria shaving cream doesn't have any parabens , SLE , Boric Acid , contains lanolin as well as Palmitic and Coconut Acid and no menthol or camphor but Eucalyptus oil.

I was going to make a "versus" : Santa Maria la Novela vs S. Maria but I just realized that S. Maria will win easily , and also , even when its "inspired" by SMN is not the same creature.It would be like making a Cella vs Aqua Di Parma shaving cream...

This cream , as you many know , is made in Italy (laboratorio Cibe maybe) and ist more like a "croap" , this is why is isted as "shaving cream soap " , since has a harder consistency than many of the UK shaving creams.I find that to be an advantage when loading the brush , but thats me.Other could prefer more of a "creamy" consistency.

The cream is another great example that a good cream doesnt need SLE/SLS to create good , abundance and thick lather.This cream does and with a small quantity of cream.Here is an example by using a Semogue selected silvertip brush.I just loades de brush for over 10 seconds and thats what I get on the tips :

[Image: P1250447.JPG?m=1348070096]

and this is the extra creamy,thick,dense,slick lather I get after a minute making lather on the palm on my hand :

[Image: P1250448.JPG?m=1348070095]

I'm so very well please with this lather! This is the kind of lather I get also from tallow based soaps , like the old Geo F Trumper shaving soaps and I think I'm saying a lot ! Yes, this lather is very thick , compact , dense and very , very slick. I have founded that this lather is like the one I can get from other Italian shaving creams like Dovo Eucalyptus or Acca Kappa in tub (RazoRock 888 or King Louis).Simply a lather we all enjoy , if you you DE,SE or straight razor.

The content of lanolin truly makes the difference if you have dry skin : well , that's my case.The lanolin takes care of the dryness by not making my skin even drier during the shave , so I can enjoy a comfortable shave as well as an excellent post shave.

As I said , this lather is very , very slick and feels "greasy" on the palm of my hand.I bet the formulation of it its simply right and might have a good content of Stearic/Palmitic/Coconut Acids,as well as lanolin.If you are looking for a slick shaving cream , I don't think you would be any disappointed with this one.

The scent is Eucalyptus , no more or no less.But not like the Dovo Eucalyptus , which has a hint of artificial scent to it.No , this one smells like Eucalyptus ,which the refreshing scent that the Eucalyptus provide.Is also a intense one , so it would last during the shave.I cant see myself using this cream on winter/cold days , but I know many of you enjoy this kind of scents and also menthol , even in winter.This cream doesn't have menthol , so no "tingling" sensation but the cream feels "fresh" and I don't know how else I can explain that but "fresh on the skin".No menthol feeling but fresh feeling.

And its price is a bargain for what it offers (like many of the RazoRock shaving creams or products) : 9,99 dollars for 150 ml of shaving cream.Santa Maria La Novella is 52 dollars for 220 ml.Do the maths.Is SMN a better cream than this one?No way!!!It could come of a "fancier" box and plastic container but I don't see that its any better than this.Dont get me wrong,I do like SMN shaving cream , but I do like Acqua Di Parma shaving cream too and I know that RazoRock XXX is the same and a third cheaper...S. Maria is not "the same" than Santa Maria La Novella , but provides great shaves for the menthol/Ecucalyptus lovers out there.

Once again , well done RazoRock.ClapClapClap

86 7,123
 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Excellent review and an excellent cream. I love RazoRock Products and so glad Joe's in the business. This line from my interview with him is the essence to me of what RazoRock is all about and why I hope he continues to be successful.

Quote:At RazoRock, our goal is to sell high quality products at value price-points, so anybody and everybody can afford a great shave. It's really easy to make a great $30 shaving soap, it's a lot harder to make a great $7 soap. In Italy, it doesn't take a fortune to buy some nice wet-shaving products, it should be (and will be) the same in North America.

Amen Joe

116 3,804
 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I just had my first try with the S. Maria cream this morning and it was absolutely a treat! First off, the consistency was almost distracting and I was mushing it around with my finger, it's almost like marshmallow fluff!

The lather, though, was definitely very nice and smelled fantastic, everything I would expect from a RazoRock product. It seems as though the more RazoRock I use, the less I want to use other brands. Everything about their products is just so great, with their simplicity both in basic ingredients and ease of use.

I agree, a definitely thumbs up to the S. Maria, I plan on using it for a while.

35 1,732
 09-19-2012, 09:11 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I love this cream, maybe more so than other RR products. At first sniff test it seemed too medicinal but when lathered it's very refined and pleasant. Good job Joe and RR team!

88 4,233
 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Outstanding review! This one has been on my radar for quite some time, just haven't needed enough of Joe's stuff to justify a purchase. I'll have to pick some up with my next order.

(Although he does have some MIGHTY good stuff coming up)

13 599
 09-19-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
it's one of the RR's I really want to try, once I purge a few others.

not sure it will knock off my RR 888 soap though. i think the Shea Butter RR's are the best there is in the RR line and 888 is a very clean smelling Eucalyptus scent, but who knows..that may change after I try S.Maria

if you have any other RR's in your den, can you compare the texture in the tub to one of them? i always thought the S.Maria was soft like AOS cream, kind of marshmallowy, but the way you decribe it, it sounds more like Classic and XXX (which i would prefer).

Great review.

8 2,718
 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(09-19-2012, 01:36 PM)Bruce Wrote: it's one of the RR's I really want to try, once I purge a few others.

if you have any other RR's in your den, can you compare the texture in the tub to one of them? i always thought the S.Maria was soft like AOS, kind of marshmallowy, but it sounds like it's more like Classic and XXX (which i would prefer)

Great review.

+1. The firmer, the better.

13 599
 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
User Info
Teiste, thanks for the review.

Matt, great signature! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 09-19-2012, 08:51 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-19-2012, 01:36 PM)Bruce Wrote: it's one of the RR's I really want to try, once I purge a few others.

not sure it will knock off my RR 888 soap though. i think the Shea Butter RR's are the best there is in the RR line and 888 is a very clean smelling Eucalyptus scent, but who knows..that may change after I try S.Maria

if you have any other RR's in your den, can you compare the texture in the tub to one of them? i always thought the S.Maria was soft like AOS cream, kind of marshmallowy, but the way you decribe it, it sounds more like Classic and XXX (which i would prefer).

Great review.

Bruce, I have both. There are some similarities but it is not the same. S Maria is cream, like you said consistency resembles AoS. I do not load it from the tub. If you use firm brushes just dip the end to coat it in cream, for softer brushes, I would probably scoop some out. Some call it croap but to me it's not. 888, XXX, Classic are croaps and S. Maria is a cream.

88 4,233
 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
(09-19-2012, 08:51 PM)beartrap Wrote: Bruce, I have both. There are some similarities but it is not the same. S Maria is cream, like you said consistency resembles AoS. I do not load it from the tub. If you use firm brushes just dip the end to coat it in cream, for softer brushes, I would probably scoop some out. Some call it croap but to me it's not. 888, XXX, Classic are croaps and S. Maria is a cream.

I agree. It's also a terrific cream.

9 1,199
 09-19-2012, 10:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Well , mine is a croap basically , like Castle Forbes shaving cream texture. Just maybe from an older batch than yours ? Huh

86 7,123
 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Very nice review, Teiste. Sounds great and I look forward to trying it.

31 1,510
 09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I think the pics are in order. I will take a pic of mine, trying to show the cream texture, I'll be very interesting to see yours.

88 4,233
 09-19-2012, 11:04 PM
User Info
Damn...now I have another soap to buy.

Great review...you sold me!

5 938
 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great review on a great cream!

45 3,955
 12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
With the new reformulation of Santa Maria Novella, S. Maria is now even more golden and a great value!

35 1,732
 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It was always a great value but it barely resembles SMN.

88 4,233
 12-04-2012, 07:13 PM
  • TonyN
  • Lawrenceville, GA US
User Info
S. Maria is a really nice, slick lightly scented cream. Again Joseph has brought another great product to the wet shaving community at a reasonable price.

1 430
 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
Great review as always, Teiste. When my pot of SMN is finished in 2016Wink, I knw I will buy this and not the reformulated SMN - hell, I'll buy S. Maria now Biggrin

22 5,053
 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I mixed about 12 drops of menthol into my tub of S.Maria, and now it's even more like the real thing. Biggrin I still don't really understand why RazoRock left out the menthol. Huh

31 1,510