09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Yesterday I was in the process of trading a Vie-Long Zurito 13061 Horse Hair shaving brush with Dave, then just before closing the trade I remembered why I hadn't used that brush since the 11th July 2012 (yes I keep a database of my SOTD, started 2012-06-17).

The brush had started to shed a few hairs during the previous couple of uses (maybe 8 to 10, enough to make it annoying while shaving), prior to that I'd used the brush maybe a dozen times and not experienced such a problem.

So before closing the trade I went and got the brush, 6 hairs come out as I gently stroked my hand over the tips of the hairs, not good. I therefore told Dave I was sorry for wasting his time, but didn't wish to pass on a possible "bum" brush.

This morning I decided to take a closer look at the brush, below is what happened when a comb was gently run through the hair...

[Image: UKK84.jpg]

Shedding pony - My "original" Zurito 13061 Horse Hair

Now I will have two 13061 handles (which I love) to re-knot...

23 1,872
 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
A47 I have never seen that big of a shedder!

88 4,233
 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
WOW! I don't think my German Shepherd sheds that much.

I'm pretty lucky I guess, never had any issues with the Zurito.

129 6,685
 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
Holy smokes, Mike! What were you feeding it?!

75 20,883
 09-19-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
Wow! Never seen a brush do that. I have no experience with horse hair, but is it possible that it dried out too much in the months since you had used it and made the hair brittle?

4 156
 09-20-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
I bought an antique brush that sheds quite a lot. Fortunately it was cheap. Shaved with it once and it did a beautiful job, but it lost a lot of bristles.

I'm keeping it for display, since I'd rather have a nice looking conversation piece. The bristles are a solid 4" long, so it definitely looks unusual.

0 98
 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-19-2012, 03:45 PM)Mike_P Wrote: Wow! Never seen a brush do that. I have no experience with horse hair, but is it possible that it dried out too much in the months since you had used it and made the hair brittle?

Hi

The brush is only 10 months old and the hair hasn't become brittle (from my very limited knowledge on the subject), I just think it was a "bad" glue job.

If I had wanted to continue to use a horse hair brush I would've contacted either the seller or manufacture about the brush, but I've come to realise badger hair works best for me... the couple of 13061 handles I now have will make excellent handles (extremely comfortable to use) to receive new (badger) knots.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
(09-20-2012, 08:12 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(09-19-2012, 03:45 PM)Mike_P Wrote: Wow! Never seen a brush do that. I have no experience with horse hair, but is it possible that it dried out too much in the months since you had used it and made the hair brittle?

Hi

The brush is only 10 months old and the hair hasn't become brittle (from my very limited knowledge on the subject), I just think it was a "bad" glue job.

If I had wanted to continue to use a horse hair brush I would've contacted either the seller or manufacture about the brush, but I've come to realise badger hair works best for me... the couple of 13061 handles I now have will make excellent handles (extremely comfortable to use) to receive new (badger) knots.

Take care, Mike

Mike,

I have seen this on some of the other boards with this brush, both in terms of shedding and doughnut hole. I have one that I have not used enough to incur any problems yet. I don't know whether the dye process would weaken the hairs or is this simply a bad glue job that created this issue.

It is a beautiful handle and fits comfortably in the hand. Maybe this is a candidate for a restore but I would discuss the issue with Vie-Long first concerning any remedy that could be available, but then you would not be able to change them to badger now would you.

1 2,827
 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-20-2012, 04:28 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I have seen this on some of the other boards with this brush, both in terms of shedding and doughnut hole. I have one that I have not used enough to incur any problems yet. I don't know whether the dye process would weaken the hairs or is this simply a bad glue job that created this issue.

It is a beautiful handle and fits comfortably in the hand. Maybe this is a candidate for a restore but I would discuss the issue with Vie-Long first concerning any remedy that could be available, but then you would not be able to change them to badger now would you.

Hi Gary

Interesting to hear you've seen this exact same problem mentioned elsewhere...

I now (99%) believe my 13061 brush shedding problem is a result of a very! "bad" glue job...

[Image: Rkmng.jpg]

This morning (2012-09-21), except for two clumps, all hair was removed via pulling by hand (extremely small amount of glue was present),
those remaining two clumps appear to be glued in properly and can't be removed via hand pulling

I totally agree about the handle, and re-knotting with a badger knot should make for a very nice shaving brush...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-21-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
Mike, good luck with the re-gluing!

75 20,883
 09-22-2012, 04:02 AM
User Info
(09-21-2012, 09:16 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(09-20-2012, 04:28 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I have seen this on some of the other boards with this brush, both in terms of shedding and doughnut hole. I have one that I have not used enough to incur any problems yet. I don't know whether the dye process would weaken the hairs or is this simply a bad glue job that created this issue.

Hi Gary

Interesting to hear you've seen this exact same problem mentioned elsewhere...

I now (99%) believe my 13061 brush shedding problem is a result of a very! "bad" glue job...

This morning (2012-09-21), except for two clumps, all hair was removed via pulling by hand (extremely small amount of glue was present),
those remaining two clumps appear to be glued in properly and can't be removed via hand pulling

I totally agree about the handle, and re-knotting with a badger knot should make for a very nice shaving brush...

Take care, Mike

Mike,

I have seen this before (not quite as bad but was reaching this point) in another brush I did a restoration on.

http://shavenook.com/thread-a-transforma...erformance

This one had the same clump out issue when I got it and it was ridiculously fast on the steam removal process.

Now you have no choice but to reknot yours with something better! Biggrin

1 2,827
 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-21-2012, 09:16 AM)mikeperry Wrote: I now (99%) believe my 13061 brush shedding problem is a result of a very! "bad" glue job...

This morning (2012-09-24)...

[Image: z07St.jpg]

After 10 minutes in a steam bath, the (complete) glue plug pops out without a fight.
"Bad" glue job? No question about it, just look at the lack of glue making up the glue-plug (responsible to holding the knot hair in place)

[Image: Dahqt.jpg]

A further 5 minutes to 100% clean up the handle, now ready for re-knotting

Next stage, ordering a couple of The Golden Nib 22mm or 24mm Finest Badger knots:
  • Need Dave to decide what knot size he wants fitted in the (spare) 13061 handle I'm giving him.
  • I'm going with a 22mm knot in my "original" 13061 handle (Shedding Pony).

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-24-2012, 09:13 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Next stage, ordering a couple of The Golden Nib 22mm or 24mm Finest Badger knots:

See here for the results...

(09-24-2012, 09:13 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Next stage, ordering a couple of The Golden Nib 22mm or 24mm Finest Badger knots:
  • I'm going with a 22mm knot in my "original" 13061 handle (Shedding Pony).

My final aim for this re-knotting project was to end up with a loft height of 49mm to 50mm (using a 22mm 2-Band Finest badge knot from TGN)...

[Image: kbunn.jpg]

"My Original" 13061 handle -- 22mm 2-Band Finest dropped loosely into 23mm diameter knot hole, results in 53mm loft.

Knot could fairly easily be pushed fully into knot hole (19mm deep) resulting in 46mm loft, but I felt the bloom would end up being very limited, not something I was after with this brush.

I therefore decided to widen the knot hole by 1mm...

[Image: 3nJW0.jpg]

"My Original" 13061 handle -- 22mm 2-Band Finest dropped loosely into 24mm diameter knot hole, results in 51mm loft.

Looking much better (IMHO), and should help achieve the bloom I'm after.

Having decided that the widened knot hole will work for my needs, it was time to "glue" the knot into place with 5 Minute Epoxy...

[Image: Ra1h6.jpg]

"My Original" 13061 handle fitted with a TGN 22mm Two Band Finest Badger knot -- 50mm final loft height

[Image: m5HxO.jpg]

"My Original" 13061 handle fitted with a TGN 22mm Two Band Finest Badger knot -- 50mm final loft height

[Image: pDrsN.jpg]

[Image: fnejb.jpg?2]

I believe the bloom speaks for itself. All-in-all I'm very! happy with how it turned out in the end...

[Image: I73Qd.jpg]

Final brush spec's:
  • Overall height: 98mm
  • Base: 48mm
  • Loft: 50mm
  • Knot hole diameter: 23mm, widened to 24mm
  • Knot hole depth: 19mm
  • Knot: TGN 22mm 2-Band Finest
Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник