07-13-2019, 05:20 AM
User Info
Hello all...

I just spent a good deal of time redoing my website. It is a FREE reference resource for all the Gillette Adjustable razors from 1955 to 1988 (my hobby). It is much better organized and mobile phone friendly and more modern and attractive. While I'm in the process of redoing it and it's chest is open, so to speak, it will be easier to make changes to it while I'm in the mode. If there is anything anyone would like to see different, please don't hesitate to ask!

http://www.gilletteadjustable.com

--Glenn Conti

0 39
 07-13-2019, 10:12 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-13-2019, 05:20 AM)glennconti Wrote: Hello all...

I just spent a good deal of time redoing my website. It is a FREE reference resource for all the Gillette Adjustable razors from 1955 to 1988 (my hobby). It is much better organized and mobile phone friendly and more modern and attractive. While I'm in the process of redoing it and it's chest is open, so to speak, it will be easier to make changes to it while I'm in the mode. If there is anything anyone would like to see different, please don't hesitate to ask!

--Glenn Conti

WOW ...that is outstanding...thanks for all your hard work...great presentation and making it easy to learn a lot...thanks again...you did a GREAT job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 2,138
 07-13-2019, 10:18 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
You have a mind-boggling collection. Thank you for creating and improving this site so the history of these wonderful razors can be stored and shared. I had never heard of the black dial bottom dial before!

39 1,907
 07-13-2019, 02:38 PM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
(07-13-2019, 05:20 AM)glennconti Wrote: Hello all...

--Glenn Conti

Thank you for the Heads-up, Glenn! I hadn't dropped in on your site in quite some time, so this was just delightful.
On your home page you note three types of Fatboys; however, if you are going to count the D1 Red Dot I contend four (or even five) types of Fatboys - the nickel-plated 195s with the early stepped collet under the numbered adjuster and the later, unstepped version, as well as the removable retainer in the bottom of the early handle, and the later, not-so-easily-removable retainer (even though you state the changes were so minor you do not see them as different types or sub-types).  Please keep up the good work; you are a treasured resource!

Tom

18 102
 07-13-2019, 03:15 PM
User Info
Thanks Guys for all the nice feedback!

Tom,
On my Fatboy page I have a graphic that shows the parts changes over time on the Fatboy. There were actual 4 different versions of what I call the Standard Fatboy. As yo pointed out there were the ones with nickel plated collets and yes the retainer caps that were crimped or threaded with service notches. But, there were bottom plate changes and a different handles too. They made these changes to the Executive too. So I would have like 8 models of different razors in just what I am calling Standard Fatboy and Executive Fatboy. They made changes to the Standard Slim too! I call them changes to the “hinge tabs”. I guess I had to draw the lines somewhere so that the number of different types didn’t get too unwieldy. So, one Standard Fatboy, one Executive Fatboy, one Standard Slim. If I refined it too much, it all looses meaning. Is a Robin Redbreast still a Robin Redbreast if it’s abnormally big? Gillette Adjustables then 5 families Toggles, Bottom Dials, Fatboys, Slims, Super Adjustables. Then 18 types of those. Then Sub-types of those. Probably I could make sub-sub-types. Then manufacturing errors. Then date stamp differences. It would get to the point where I am the only one that would care. And there would be disagreements over where to draw the lines. But it’s all good. I just call it a Fatboy. Thanks so much for letting me talk about my great hobby.

0 39
 07-13-2019, 03:36 PM
User Info
Tom,
Maybe I’ll make a graphic and put it up in the Taxonomy section. You have given me a good idea. Kind of like a “tree”. Thanks again. Smile

0 39
 07-13-2019, 07:51 PM
User Info
[Image: LNytw6K.jpg]

0 39
 07-14-2019, 04:26 AM
User Info
Tom I totally reworked the taxonomy section to make it more coherent. Thanks for spurring me on. I was happy to do it.

http://gilletteadjustable.com/home/razor-taxonomy/

0 39
 07-14-2019, 04:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Well done! Adjustables for posterity. On behalf of shavers everywhere, thank you for the effort and fine job documenting this little piece of history.

15 3,533
 07-14-2019, 08:39 AM
User Info
(07-14-2019, 04:59 AM)chazt Wrote: Well done! Adjustables for posterity. On behalf of shavers everywhere, thank you for the effort and fine job documenting this little piece of history.

Thanks Charlie! Kudos always welcome Smile

0 39
 07-14-2019, 04:25 PM
User Info
Nice job, Glenn. Your website fueled my obsession with Gillette Adjustables. Thanks for all you've done to document and preserve one of the great examples of Americana. The diversity of the models is fascinating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 88
 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM
User Info
Well done Glenn.  Your site is a great reference source.  Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it.

58 9,200
 07-14-2019, 04:45 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Great job sir - the Gillette Adjustable was my first razor, and I have a modest collection, though your work points out my shortfalls ..

One tiny technical niggle if you can - on page one, under the heading

Five Adjustable Razor Families... the pictures themselves do not react to a mouse click.  First world problem I know .. I was clicking away on the Fatboys to see what I'd missed and realized that didn't work  

56 621
 07-15-2019, 05:27 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
(07-14-2019, 04:26 AM)glennconti Wrote: Tom I totally reworked the taxonomy section to make it more coherent. Thanks for spurring me on. I was happy to do it.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.  Very clean and clear!

Tom

18 102
 07-15-2019, 05:43 AM
User Info
(07-14-2019, 04:45 PM)garyg Wrote: Great job sir - the Gillette Adjustable was my first razor, and I have a modest collection, though your work points out my shortfalls ..

One tiny technical niggle if you can - on page one, under the heading

Five Adjustable Razor Families... the pictures themselves do not react to a mouse click.  First world problem I know .. I was clicking away on the Fatboys to see what I'd missed and realized that didn't work  

Thank you Sir! I just made the photos have links associated with them to each of their respective families. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 39
 07-15-2019, 05:44 AM
User Info
(07-15-2019, 05:27 AM)TADIII Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 04:26 AM)glennconti Wrote: Tom I totally reworked the taxonomy section to make it more coherent. Thanks for spurring me on. I was happy to do it.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.  Very clean and clear!

Tom

Certainly my friend! I appreciate the feedback!

0 39
 07-15-2019, 05:47 AM
User Info
(07-14-2019, 04:32 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Well done Glenn.  Your site is a great reference source.  Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it.

Yes Sir. And thank you for your great great forum! I truly appreciate you for letting your users critique my site and make it better. You guys are gems! (Unlike some badgers if you know what I mean?)

0 39
 07-15-2019, 05:49 AM
User Info
(07-14-2019, 04:25 PM)LOOT Wrote: Nice job, Glenn. Your website fueled my obsession with Gillette Adjustables. Thanks for all you've done to document and preserve one of the great examples of Americana. The diversity of the models is fascinating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you Sir!

0 39
 07-15-2019, 10:07 PM
User Info
Very nicely done sir. Thank you.

3 137
 Yesterday, 06:26 AM
User Info
(07-15-2019, 10:07 PM)efsk Wrote: Very nicely done sir. Thank you.

Thanks sir. Labor of love!

0 39