09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I recently watched the most recent Jesse Stone TV movie starring Tom Selleck. He plays the role of an alcoholic, divorced, isolated small town police chief. In one scene it shows him lathering his face with shaving soap and a brush. The lather is way too watery. Either Tom Selleck doesn't know how to work up a lather, or it shows that the Chief is so depressed that he cannot enjoy a wet shave.

In the old 1930's screwball comedy "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", Mrs. Smith uses a straight razor to shave her husband every morning.

And then, of course, there is Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, who slits his customers throats with his straight razor to provide meat for meat pies!

Any others?

0 51
 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
For some reason, the first movie that came to mind is John Travolta's Phenomenon. Kyra Sedgwick shaves him with a DE, looks like a '60s Gillette Adjustable.

35 2,703
 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
Admiral Adama is seen shaving with a DE in the revival of BSG. I think there are a few scenes with a DE.

Off topic, but that was a great revival. Very annoyed at the cop out ending though.

The new James Bond trailers feature Bond getting shaved by a straight razor.

Game of Thrones depicts Renly being shaved with a straight razor, although incorrectly.

9 2,988
 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(09-19-2012, 04:17 PM)TexBilly Wrote: For some reason, the first movie that came to mind is John Travolta's Phenomenon. Kyra Sedgwick shaves him with a DE, looks like a '60s Gillette Adjustable.

Look sort of like a Schick Krona to me..maybe a Knack but I'm leaning more towards a Krona.

There are several instances of shaving in the 1960's based series Madmen, one shows Don Draper lather up with a mug and what looks like a boar brush and shaves with what might be a black handled SS and another episode his daughter gives him a new brush for Christmas or Father's Day (I forget) and she comments that it's made from badger hair.

Edit: Found one of the scenes.

31 1,510
 09-19-2012, 11:42 PM
User Info
Sweeny Todd.

5 938