07-18-2019, 06:57 AM
User Info
I recently acquired two vintage Gillette open combs, one long and one short. I have to say that the feel of the open comb is noticeably different. All my other razors feel remarkably similar. Maybe it’s just the increased aggressiveness. I really love shaving with open comb razors.

0 143
 07-18-2019, 07:00 AM
User Info
Open combs are great.  I only shave with open combs now.  Which one did you get? Are they both Gillette NEWs?  Give an Old Type a try.  Very nice.  I love the extra blade feel you get with an open comb.  The only straight bar razor I still use is a Gillette Slim Adjustable.  It's my birth quarter (H3) and I feel like James Bond when I'm shaving with it.   Confused

2 316
 07-18-2019, 07:23 AM
User Info
(07-18-2019, 07:00 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Open combs are great.  I only shave with open combs now.  Which one did you get? Are they both Gillette NEWs?  Give an Old Type a try.  Very nice.  I love the extra blade feel you get with an open comb.  The only straight bar razor I still use is a Gillette Slim Adjustable.  It's my birth quarter (H3) and I feel like James Bond when I'm shaving with it.   Confused

I have one Old Type short comb and a New Type long comb. I could probably get away with shaving every other day if I used them exclusively. I am a bit compulsive about using the other razors in my small collection, but I could see switching the just the open combs. What an obsessive hobby this is.

0 143
 07-18-2019, 07:41 AM
User Info
(07-18-2019, 07:23 AM)Ilnones Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 07:00 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Open combs are great.  I only shave with open combs now.  Which one did you get? Are they both Gillette NEWs?  Give an Old Type a try.  Very nice.  I love the extra blade feel you get with an open comb.  The only straight bar razor I still use is a Gillette Slim Adjustable.  It's my birth quarter (H3) and I feel like James Bond when I'm shaving with it.   Confused

I have one Old Type short comb and a New Type long comb. I could probably get away with shaving every other day if I used them exclusively. I am a bit compulsive about using the other razors in my small collection, but I could see switching the just the open combs. What an obsessive hobby this is.

Totally obsessive.

2 316
 07-18-2019, 10:13 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I just got my first old type OC. great smooth shave, very efficient, the blade sings. waiting for a gem assortment from try a blade for my new MMOC. yes i am definately moving into OC territory.

0 314