07-22-2019, 08:19 AM
User Info
Hello all and thank you dear moderator for welcoming me into this community. I'm not new to wet shaving but new to the temptations and charms of the small batch, artisan soap makers. For the past 22 years, I've used Art of Shaving products and thought them the "best"; that is until recently. For about a month, I've learned more about new soaps, makers, brushes and aftershaves than in the last two decades and I've loved the ride thus far as I explore the edges (pun intended) of this vast universe. I've learned some important lessons: 1) Scent is important but there's more to a great soap than smell. 2) Price is not necessarily related to quality. 3) There are too many choices and I only have one face.

I have to separate my desire for a particular scent from the function of the product. Slickness, preshave, residual and post shave performance, thirst and ease to lather are more important than scent to me (for now). I'm still searching for that mythical perfect soap. For now, my favorite compromise is Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet (tallow base). It is by far my favorite scent and performance-wise, I would rate it an 8 out of 10. For pure performance the Barristar and Mann line up can't be beat, I rate it's performance higher than Wholly Kaw. The scents I've tried (Grand Chypre & Seville) are okay, but the resulting lather is my favorite. I've tried a few other well-respected artisans and they're great. I rotate each soap with each shave to keep them lively and fresh: if I used my favorite every day I would soon lose my appreciation for it. It's much like having your favorite meal at dinner every night. Too much of the same thing loses meaning. So when my Wholly Kaw comes up in the rotation, I am always excited, but I still look at the others on deck and look forward to their differences. I might be crazy, but this is going to be an interesting if not expensive hobby.

Random thoughts for a random Monday. Thanks and good shaving to all.

Eduardo

0 2
 07-22-2019, 08:28 AM
User Info
Fortunately there are so many soaps and creams to choose from that we don't have to sacrifice performance to get the scent we want.  I also find performance extremely important but I also find scent to be an integral part of my shaving experience.  I've found a bunch that satisfy all the categories for me.  Yet I'm always looking for that next one.  But I'm picky.  So, if the performance is there but not the scent, I move on.  If the scent is awesome but the performance is lacking, I move on.  Random and disorder are par for the course on Mondays.

2 316
 07-22-2019, 08:43 AM
User Info
Because of skin sensitivities, I've focused on soap/cream performance only. I've learned quite a bit. For example, that scents tends to sway our opinion in a subjective manner to a greater extent than we might think, and that some (mostly natural) ingredients work best for me. Here I unloaded some very good unscented soaps. 
For great soaps my pick is unscented, for great scents I pick my favorite EO and fragrances.

9 1,523
 07-22-2019, 10:22 AM
User Info
Its very much a your mileage may vary hobbie.  I have 160 plus soaps and barrister and mann is in the middle of the pack to me. But im very big on use what works best for you. Our skin is all different and what we need out of a soap is different for each individual. 

And great write up.

0 87
 07-22-2019, 11:14 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
I'm curious, is your Seville the newest base with aqua and glycerin listed first, it potassium stearate listed first? If yes, do you notice a difference in the lather compared to Le Grande Chypre?

40 1,927
 07-26-2019, 05:55 PM
User Info
I find Declaration Grooming + Chatillon Lux a perfect match for scent and performance. Also, You can't go wrong with Eufros on these 2 parameters again. There are a lot of soap makers and I would suggest to do a thorough research before hoarding as it's a waste of money to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,249
 07-26-2019, 07:28 PM
User Info
(07-26-2019, 05:55 PM)Jags009 Wrote: I find Declaration Grooming + Chatillon Lux a perfect match for scent and performance. Also, You can't go wrong with Eufros on these 2 parameters again. There are a lot of soap makers and I would suggest to do a thorough research before hoarding as it's a waste of money to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also suggest you try Jaboman/Eufros.  There is a reason why Manuel's soaps have a worldwide following.

Another soap you may want to consider is Cold River Soap Works.

Both JabonMan and CRSW excel in performance and scent.

59 9,318
 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM
User Info
Welcome Eduardo, 

You can spend the rest of your life (and thousands of $$) experimenting with different products and combinations. There are so many good ones that it will never end.   Just a warning, the real money will be spent when you regularly start trying and changing high end brushes.  I don't even want to know how much I have spent on brushes over the past 5 years. Started out with a couple of cheap ones and was happy.  Then I tried a silvertip and my quest for the perfect badger seems to never end.

31 194
 07-29-2019, 09:24 PM
  • Nero
User Info
The perfect badger is a synthetic, in my experience.

90 3,761
 07-30-2019, 02:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-29-2019, 09:24 PM)Nero Wrote: The perfect badger is a synthetic, in my experience.

I don’t necessarily agree, however I do understand what you mean. The better synthetic knots are delightful to use.

15 3,598
 07-30-2019, 08:21 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Smile
Shooting for the moon, Charlie, that's all!

90 3,761
 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM
User Info
(07-30-2019, 08:21 PM)Nero Wrote: Smile
Shooting for the moon, Charlie, that's all!

And which synthetics do you think is perfect? Please share.

3 8
 08-01-2019, 07:20 AM
  • Nero
User Info
- Edwin Jagger/Muhle/Simpson silvertip fibre - many options and prices.

- B&M (tuxedo type) for $10

My hand only grabs these.

90 3,761