09-20-2012, 03:42 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
OK, not that sad, but it did cause my wife to have an asthma attack and me to wake up with a migraine...

I have a cabinet in our bedroom along with other shaving and fountain pen items that were not currently in or near rotation. This is where a lot of my stock piled stuff resides (ya know... 12 tubes of C.O. Bigelow, thousands upon thousands of blades, excess after shaves, etc...)

Well... a little after 1 AM something really started to smell like spilled AS or cologne. I didn't think much of it until wife had an asthma attack at 4 AM. At some point yesterday night something happened and three glass bottles of AV shattered. Nothing else was upset, everything on top of and inside the cabinet was fine. All I know is somehow those three bottles and only those there bottles were broken. The entire place now reeks of AV....

I never really cared that much about AV, I just snatched up all the glass bottles I could still find when they switched to plastic. And now those bottles are history.

0 253
 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
What a mess. I've seen Pepsi bottles explode in the old returnable bottles, years ago in the heat of the summer. Unusual to hear that this happened in a cool cabinet with no carbonation pressure

11 303
 09-20-2012, 06:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think I would go have a palm reading this afternoon. Your in trouble.Biggrin

173 23,500
 09-20-2012, 07:27 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Wow I hope your wife is okay. I am really sorry to hear that. Glass bottles are a pain in the neck and especially to clean up.

100 12,438
 09-20-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
Justin, wow, what an odd night. i hope the smell does not linger for too long.

75 20,883
 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(09-20-2012, 03:55 AM)river1 Wrote: What a mess. I've seen Pepsi bottles explode in the old returnable bottles, years ago in the heat of the summer. Unusual to hear that this happened in a cool cabinet with no carbonation pressure. But in a dark cabinet when the temps have only been in the 70s???? Something must have jarred the cabinet enough to smack the bottles together...
When I was young my parents were running a small gas station/convenience store in central KY. On a hot summer day it was routine to have at least one bottle explode on the shelf.
(09-20-2012, 07:27 AM)slantman Wrote: Wow I hope your wife is okay. I am really sorry to hear that. Glass bottles are a pain in the neck and especially to clean up.
Actually, the clean up wasn't bad. The glass was shattered, but there was a layer of plastic film from the label that was holding everything mostly together. I found a few glass slivers, but most of the glass was thankfully contained.
(09-20-2012, 07:32 AM)celestino Wrote: Justin, wow, what an odd night. i hope the smell does not linger for too long.
Yeah... same here. I opened the cabinet and the windows and pointed all the fans out the windows. I have been smelling it all day while at work. I don't think I am walking around in a fog of AV. But I think the scent is lodged in my nose/brain. Even if I was putting off a fog of AV, it is better than these middle school boys walking around in a fog of axe....

0 253
 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Sounds haunting and eerie. Do hope that your wife is okay. Not a pleasant way to be woke up.

1 3,507
 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
User Info
I guess it really wanted to be used...

1 94
 09-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Hope the wife is okay. Story sounds odd and eerie. Being Canadian of Greek descent I am very superstitious; especially glass items breaking for no reason. To me that's a sign of envy, maybe a friend, relative and or acquaintance, jinxed your nook. I would get myself one of those blue Mediterranean glass eyes and hang it in the nook to ward off evil spirits. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108