07-25-2019, 06:30 AM
User Info
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Schick Injector G1 and it looks to be in good shape. I noticed a little rattle but it seemed ok so I tried shaving with it.
I managed the shave but unfortunately the spring is clearly not tight enough so the blade slipped partially out twice during the shave. Needless to say, this is an accident waiting to happen. There seem to be no problem with the little stops in the corners being worn down but the spring is clearly not tight enough. Like I said the head rattles a bit when I shake it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it? Perhaps someone has ran into the same problem?
I thought I should ask before I start tinkering. Any help appreciated. 

[Image: dhtyOHR.jpg][Image: n2MN0hl.jpg][Image: 2XOZIYW.jpg][Image: s9IMN2G.jpg]

1 405
 07-25-2019, 08:43 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-25-2019, 06:30 AM)RazorSteve Wrote: Hi everyone,

I just bought a Schick Injector G1 and it looks to be in good shape. I noticed a little rattle but it seemed ok so I tried shaving with it.
I managed the shave but unfortunately the spring is clearly not tight enough so the blade slipped partially out twice during the shave. Needless to say, this is an accident waiting to happen. There seem to be no problem with the little stops in the corners being worn down but the spring is clearly not tight enough. Like I said the head rattles a bit when I shake it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it? Perhaps someone has ran into the same problem?

[Image: dhtyOHR.jpg][Image: n2MN0hl.jpg][Image: 2XOZIYW.jpg][Image: s9IMN2G.jpg]
Because the spring rivet is non removable you just have to open the bend of the spring for it to apply more pressure...use a needle nose plier with some tape on the needle end to protect the finish...also could possibly use a wooden dowel slightly larger than the opening and push it in which will open(tighten) the spring pressure.

6 2,183
 07-25-2019, 10:30 AM
User Info
(07-25-2019, 08:43 AM)Harvey Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 06:30 AM)RazorSteve Wrote: Hi everyone,

Because the spring rivet is non removable you just have to open the bend of the spring for it to apply more pressure...use a needle nose plier with some tape on the needle end to protect the finish...also could possibly use a wooden dowel slightly larger than the opening and push it in which will open(tighten) the spring pressure.

Good tips, thank you. I was thinking along the lines of the second idea.

1 405
 07-27-2019, 09:54 AM
User Info
I thought I should share the result of my repair job in case someone else runs into the same problem.

The cause of the rattle was a bit more complex than I first though. Rather than just being the "spring bit" that had been compressed it turned out to be the edge around the rivet that had been bent slightly which cause the spring to flip back and forth like a seesaw. Not sure if I'm explaining this very good but what it means is that bending out the spring (which was my first plan) would not have helped as it would have pushed the rattling bit up but not in. I hope this makes some kind of sense. It would probably also have worked to bend the top part of the spring away from the round riveted bit, but I could not get a good enough grip to do that, in the end it felt like I would have had to remove the rivet to fix it that way, and I do not have the skills or tools to do that and re-rivet the razor. So...

So the solution i came up with was to push a bit of plastic strip under the back end of the spring. It is not very pretty but it works, no rattling and the spring is fixed in place. I shaved with it today and it was fine.

[Image: JiWcGBP.jpg]
[Image: Kxy6hBG.jpg]

1 405
 07-27-2019, 04:22 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-27-2019, 09:54 AM)RazorSteve Wrote: I thought I should share the result of my repair job in case someone else runs into the same problem.

The cause of the rattle was a bit more complex than I first though. Rather than just being the "spring bit" that had been compressed it turned out to be the edge around the rivet that had been bent slightly which cause the spring to flip back and forth like a seesaw. Not sure if I'm explaining this very good but what it means is that bending out the spring (which was my first plan) would not have helped as it would have pushed the rattling bit up but not in. I hope this makes some kind of sense. It would probably also have worked to bend the top part of the spring away from the round riveted bit, but I could not get a good enough grip to do that, in the end it felt like I would have had to remove the rivet to fix it that way, and I do not have the skills or tools to do that and re-rivet the razor. So...

So the solution i came up with was to push a bit of plastic strip under the back end of the spring. It is not very pretty but it works, no rattling and the spring is fixed in place. I shaved with it today and it was fine.

6 2,183
 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-27-2019, 04:22 PM)Harvey Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 09:54 AM)RazorSteve Wrote: I thought I should share the result of my repair job in case someone else runs into the same problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.CLever....much better than duct tape..(typical man fix)

6 2,183
 07-28-2019, 02:54 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's a great explanation of why the blade was slipping Steve.  And a great fix.  Enjoy your shaves.

12 2,383
 07-28-2019, 07:00 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
wonderful job diagnosing the problem. no Dx no FIX. also a brilliant solution. 

Certainly the vintage market for razors makes for some good stories. I am glad this one has a happy ending. 

Will this Schick make your rotation?

0 464
 07-28-2019, 01:41 PM
User Info
(07-28-2019, 07:00 AM)RyznRio Wrote: wonderful job diagnosing the problem. no Dx no FIX. also a brilliant solution. 

Certainly the vintage market for razors makes for some good stories. I am glad this one has a happy ending. 

Will this Schick make your rotation?

Thank you.
For a while at least, yes it will. I really like my type I2 which gives me consistent and almost effortless shaves. The G1 feels different, but after only two shaves I can't say exactly how. I have a hunch that it is a tad more aggressive, but it's hard to say at this point.

1 405