09-20-2012, 05:15 AM
User Info
I started out DE shaving with a nice, safe (and sentimental) birth quarter Tech. It worked rather well, and I focused on technique, but never really felt comfortable. I followed it up with a Merkur 23C, a 34G, and an EJ DE89. I still own all of these razors except for the 23C, but none of them really felt comfortable to work with on a daily basis. Maybe it was my need to work on technique and develop a rhythym, but I used a DE when I was a wee lad, (and I spent many a morning observing my father and learning technique), so none of this was foreign to me, just uncomfortable. Shaving around the chin, and under the nose was just awkward. It was a strain to get the blade to the right angle to get the job done.

I got bold, purchased an R41, and realized that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. After a few shaky hours (and some blood loss), I sold off my R41. Then, I bought a Futur from vocalistbob, and everything changed. I saw right away that the blade was more exposed, and it made me nervous, but as soon as I started shaving, I could see, feel, (and hear) the difference! The razor is only set at 1.5, but it's amazing. I don't have a particularly thick beard, and my skin is fairly resilient, and the Futur just cuts through everything, was very forgiving, and much more manageable in tight areas. I don't need more than two passes to feel great for the day.

So, now I look at my 34G and EJ DE89, and I wonder if there is a non-adjustable SB razor that might fit my needs? I don't want another R41 (I have a couple of little scars that benefit from the SB), but I would like another razor since I'll probably sell the other two. I have a SS flair tip and a Fatboy, but both seem more mild than the Futur. Any suggestions?

97 615
 09-20-2012, 05:22 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I love the Futur too. A great one.

I'm sure that you'll get a lot of suggestions but if I may, I would suggest the Weber, either in DLC or ARC.
I like the original Weber handle because it's a bit longer but their Bulldog option is great too.
A very efficient razor without being too harsh. More efficient and more aggressive than the EJ89 and it feels different that that one as well as the Merkurs.

Paired with a great blade it's always a fantastic shave for me and it's become my go to razor. I know that there won't be any drama when I use it.
Always a YMMV and just my 2 cents. Smile

Eric

6 905
 09-20-2012, 05:32 AM
User Info
(09-20-2012, 05:22 AM)EHV Wrote: I love the Futur too. A great one.

I'm sure that you'll get a lot of suggestions but if I may, I would suggest the Weber, either in DLC or ARC.
I like the original Weber handle because it's a bit longer but their Bulldog option is great too.
A very efficient razor without being too harsh. More efficient and more aggressive than the EJ89 and it feels different that that one as well as the Merkurs.

Paired with a great blade it's always a fantastic shave for me and it's become my go to razor. I know that there won't be any drama when I use it.
Always a YMMV and just my 2 cents. Smile

Eric

Good point about the handle. I love the length of the Futur handle. I'd probably like to stay with longer handles.

97 615
 09-20-2012, 05:45 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I used to own several Futurs but sold them off because they were a little bit too big for me. But the shaves were extremely good. If only they downsized the Futur I buy one in a second. Good luck with it.

103 12,542
 09-20-2012, 06:10 AM
User Info
(09-20-2012, 05:22 AM)EHV Wrote: I love the Futur too. A great one.

I'm sure that you'll get a lot of suggestions but if I may, I would suggest the Weber, either in DLC or ARC....

Eric

I agree with Eric. I also own a Futur that never is set past 1, but since I bought my two DLCs, I own one plus spare now, I rarely ever use any of my other razors. In fact, I think I may do a den clearing of a few this weekend. Wink

6 135
 09-20-2012, 07:30 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Barbasol Floating Head

115 1,699
 09-20-2012, 07:34 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I love the Futur as well. If you are looking for a solid bar razor to compliment the Futur, what about the Tradere Solid Bar razor. It should last you for the rest of your life and is a great shaver.

45 16,559
 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM
User Info
Sean, have you tried shimming your EJDE89? Man, i have been getting some of the best shaves with using one shim in it. Try it out and see what you think.
As for a safety-bar DE, i have heard great things about the Tradere. i would highly recommend The Cobra even though it is an SE. Have you ever tried an open-comb? The Aristocrats are fantastic shavers. Good luck.

76 20,924
 09-21-2012, 03:48 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
If you like the Futur the Weber ARC/DLC might be up your alley. Very smooth like the Futur but with a design very similar to your 34C. A very safe close & smooth razor...really the HD improved. I can't figure it out if it's the coating or the slight design change from the 34C that does it.

42 1,041
 09-21-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
(09-20-2012, 07:37 AM)celestino Wrote: Sean, have you tried shimming your EJDE89? Man, i have been getting some of the best shaves with using one shim in it. Try it out and see what you think.
As for a safety-bar DE, i have heard great things about the Tradere. i would highly recommend The Cobra even though it is an SE. Have you ever tried an open-comb? The Aristocrats are fantastic shavers. Good luck.

I tried a shim (after reading one of your posts about it), but I haven't noticed much difference. I'll give it some more tries. It's just not as easy to use as the Futur.

97 615
 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
What about the Progress? I know you mentioned non-adjustable, but why not another Merkur adjustable if the Futur works so well? Or even another Futur Smile

Best of luck!

25 1,718
 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
User Info
Glad you're liking the Futur I sold you. If you're looking for something a little more aggressive than the mainstream razors, why not consider a Slant?

66 692
 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
User Info
(09-21-2012, 03:07 PM)vocalistbob Wrote: Glad you're liking the Futur I sold you. If you're looking for something a little more aggressive than the mainstream razors, why not consider a Slant?

I'd like to see one up close and try one before I jump into the slant. The photos make it hard to picture one in use.

97 615
 09-21-2012, 10:14 PM
User Info
The slant is a nice option anf a reasonable one at that. I am not sure your budget but have you considered the vision?

129 6,685