07-26-2019, 12:21 PM
User Info
Gents, 

Hello!  I grabbed these blades thinking they were the ones with the black wrapper that were made in the UK with German writing on them, and when I saw they weren’t, I gave one a shot anyway.  I used it for three shaves...the second was bad but done under less than optimal conditions, so I foolishly tried a third shave.  The third shave led to terrible razor burn!  Talk about chasing a BBS result to your own detriment!

Oh well...live and learn!

I hope that everyone is well

Vr

Matt

[Image: C1Ap7Bh.jpg][Image: 0khAjLy.jpg]

36 2,326
 07-26-2019, 12:34 PM
User Info
 07-26-2019, 12:39 PM
User Info
Oops.  Those great deals can sometimes turn around and bite you.

245 14,359
 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM
User Info
(07-26-2019, 12:39 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Oops.  Those great deals can sometimes turn around and bite you.

Truth!

Luckily...this little dispenser of 10 is a one off! Needless to say they are in the trash now, and also luckily...I brought an unopened dispenser of those Gillette Platinum Plus razor blades that everyone seems to think highly of, and which I have been wanting to try out!

Have a great weekend John!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 07-26-2019, 03:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Slight hijack. When I was a teenager I enjoyed the Wilkinson Bonded Blade shaver. Used it for about three or four years until the blades were no longer available, and eventually tossed my handles in the trash. Fast forward about four decades and I started DE shaving after a lifetime of carts. Of course I had to try current production Wilkinson DE blades, as they are about the only DE blades available locally other than the Israeli made store brand blades which I actually like quite a bit. To date, I’ve bought three tucks of Wilkinsons and have been disappointed each time. No offense intended to those who like them, but they’re just not my cup of tea.

16 4,304
 07-27-2019, 10:48 AM
User Info
Hi Chaz!  No worries at all!  I am glad that you have locally sourced blades that work for you!

I am also equally glad, perhaps more so, that I brought a pack of those old Gillette Platinum Plus blades!  I had not used them yet, and boy oh boy...sharp and smooth as the smoothest of silks!  They are a serious contender for favorite blade...right there with Personna 74 Med Preps and those Wilkinson light Brigades on initial shave!  

Just a beautiful shave today using the GPP blade in a rhodium plated 1946-47 Aristocrat, and the I coloniali mango shave soap!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 07-27-2019, 03:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-27-2019, 10:48 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Hi Chaz!  No worries at all!  I am glad that you have locally sourced blades that work for you!

I am also equally glad, perhaps more so, that I brought a pack of those old Gillette Platinum Plus blades!  I had not used them yet, and boy oh boy...sharp and smooth as the smoothest of silks!  They are a serious contender for favorite blade...right there with Personna 74 Med Preps and those Wilkinson light Brigades on initial shave!  

Just a beautiful shave today using the GPP blade in a rhodium plated 1946-47 Aristocrat, and the I coloniali mango shave soap!

Vr

Matt

Yes, I read your post in the other thread Matt. As I understand, that is a legendary razor. Clearly you concur. Are the shaves with it as smooth and irritation free as a modern stainless razor?

As far as vintage blades, I made the conscious decision to not go down that rabbit hole. I had to show some restraint somewhere! Besides it leaves more for you guys that love ‘em. Enjoy Smile

16 4,304
 07-27-2019, 03:45 PM
User Info
(07-27-2019, 03:11 PM)chazt Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 10:48 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Hi Chaz!  No worries at all!  I am glad that you have locally sourced blades that work for you!

Vr

Matt

Yes, I read your post in the other thread Matt. As I understand, that is a legendary razor. Clearly you concur. Are the shaves with it as smooth and irritation free as a modern stainless razor?

As far as vintage blades, I made the conscious decision to not go down that rabbit hole. I had to show some restraint somewhere! Besides it leaves more for you guys that love ‘em. Enjoy Smile

Chaz,

Yes...the 1946-47 Aristocrat is highly regarded. As to your question, yes...I can achieve smooth, efficient, and irritation free shaves quite easily with the Aristocrat! I think they are special. I even bought a NOS one for each of my sons.

Is it better than modern razors? That is simply a matter of opinion.

I have sold all my modern safety razors with the exception of my Oneblade Blackblade, and these days all I reach for are the Star Model 100, Wilkinson Sticky, and my Aristocrats. I also like to throw in a straight every now and again.

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 07-27-2019, 03:47 PM
User Info
This was today’s shave!

[Image: wgcqd4U.jpg]

36 2,326