08-07-2019, 07:38 AM
User Info
Perhaps this is already known but if not...

I noticed that the Mühle "Classic" XL size synthetic brush was missing from their homepage and asked them if it had been discontinued. 
Mühle confirmed in an email that the XL size had indeed been discontinued, but that the S, M and L sizes of the Classic synthetic are still in production.

The reason given was that the brush was "not a sustainable product when it is not treated well" which had led to "a lot of repairs".

I wrote them back asking if this meant they had stopped manufacturing the 25mm knot altogether or just that they no longer sell the XL Classic. I'm waiting for a response.

UPDATE: Mühle confirmed that they will no longer be manufacturing the 25mm knot.

/Steve

1 382
 08-07-2019, 07:43 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
This is interesting news.
I had all sizes at one time, and kept only the XL.
I just purchased the new Thater synthetic, which is comparable in size to the Muhle XL synthetic, and it's outstanding.

113 19,203
 08-07-2019, 07:46 AM
User Info
Sad indeed as it's arguably the best synthetic brush available.

I first heard of this a few months back from an English vendor who sold me one for half the retail price "on the sly" as it was end of line, he gave a different reason for the discontinuation: Lack of sales. Apparently they sold like stale cakes and he was glad to sell them at half price just to be rid of them, it was on the sly as apparently Muehle can get cranky about restocking vendors who sell their products at reduced prices.

AFAIK Edwin Jagger continue to sell their 25mm XL synthetic so that could be a viable alternative.

0 139
 08-07-2019, 07:50 AM
User Info
(08-07-2019, 07:46 AM)Rohleder Wrote: AFAIK Edwin Jagger continue to sell their 25mm XL synthetic so that could be a viable alternative.

This why I enquired if they are stopping production of the knot. We'll see what they say.

1 382
 08-07-2019, 07:54 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-07-2019, 07:46 AM)Rohleder Wrote: Sad indeed as it's arguably the best synthetic brush available.

I first heard of this a few months back from an English vendor who sold me one for half the retail price "on the sly" as it was end of line, he gave a different reason for the discontinuation: Lack of sales. Apparently they sold like stale cakes and he was glad to sell them at half price just to be rid of them, it was on the sly as apparently Muehle can get cranky about restocking vendors who sell their products at reduced prices.

AFAIK Edwin Jagger continue to sell their 25mm XL synthetic so that could be a viable alternative.

I think day old pastries actually sell better than Muhle synth brushes these days. I may have to do a 50% off sale just to open up valuable shelf space.

52 21,016
 08-07-2019, 07:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
The really odd thing is they were hot until they were not. There was no in between of slow and steady sales. The faucet shut completely off

52 21,016
 08-07-2019, 08:43 AM
User Info
(08-07-2019, 07:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote: The really odd thing is they were hot until they were not. There was no in between of slow and steady sales. The faucet shut completely off

Isn't that how it always is? I'm fairly new to the hobby but from reading many old threads in forums, it seems like everyone is always peeing their pants over the best soap/blade/razor ever, until the next new best thing ever shows up a few months later and the old best ever thing is never mentioned again.

1 382
 08-07-2019, 09:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Simpson is leading the category imo. The CH2 synthetic is the new de facto standard by which all other synthetic brushes are judged.

15 3,693
 08-07-2019, 09:26 AM
User Info
(08-07-2019, 09:05 AM)chazt Wrote: Simpson is leading the category imo. The CH2 synthetic is the new de facto standard by which all other synthetic brushes are judged.

Maybe so, but I don't think that's relevant in this context. What is considered cool in the wet shaving community may make or break small artisans but for a big (relatively speaking) company like Mühle I don't believe that what is or is not fashionable in SOTD pictures represents even a rounding error on their balance sheet. More likely they stopped manufacturing this brush because their typical customer couldn't tell the difference between a 23mm and 25mm knot if their life depended on it. It is only in the "Classic" that the big knot has been offered and in the flashy sets that I suspect represent most of their business they only have 21mm brushes as far as I can see. The wet shaving community may seem like the world from the perspective of this forum, but I believe a typical Mühle customer is a birthday-present- or retirement gift-buyer for a "normie".  Smile

1 382
 08-07-2019, 09:42 AM
User Info
(08-07-2019, 09:05 AM)chazt Wrote: Simpson is leading the category imo. The CH2 synthetic is the new de facto standard by which all other synthetic brushes are judged.

Charlie, I agree that the CH2 synthetic is the best available.  I did, however, rank the Muhle XL as #2.  I have not been previously aware of any issues regarding the durability of the brush, and am inclined to believe declining sales are behind this decision.  Fortunately, I have two of Juan's (Dr. Dulcamara/Barcelona Shaving Brush) superb machined aluminum handles with Muhle XL knots.

Everything I've read about the new Thater synthetics so far has been very positive,  so it may be as good or better than the Muhle.

[Image: QJha82P.jpg]

60 9,553
 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-07-2019, 08:43 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 07:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote: The really odd thing is they were hot until they were not. There was no in between of slow and steady sales. The faucet shut completely off

Isn't that how it always is? I'm fairly new to the hobby but from reading many old threads in forums, it seems like everyone is always peeing their pants over the best soap/blade/razor ever, until the next new best thing ever shows up a few months later and the old best ever thing is never mentioned again.

It isn't how it used to be but it certainly is the way that it is now.

52 21,016
 08-08-2019, 02:52 AM
User Info
I received a reply from Mühle on my followup question.

They will not be manufacturing the 25mm knot anymore. 
So that should mean an end to the XL version of other manufacturer's brushes using the STF knots (i.e. Edwin Jagger, artisans) when their supply runs out.

/Steve

1 382
 08-08-2019, 06:09 AM
User Info

I may be wrong but I think it was around the time those Chinese Aliexpress brands began selling factory direct, meaning you had the choice of 6+ different knot styles in 10+ different funky style resin handles for what was often 1/4 the price of a single and very conservative looking Muehle. Of course, we know Muehle are generally quality products and the Chinese imports patchy at best but most low end brush buyers are not a particularly fussy lot (from what I've seen) and so quantity defeated quality.

0 139
 08-08-2019, 07:47 AM
User Info

The CH2 knot is great, but the handle sucks (too small and not ergonomic for my XL hands)

25 6,641
 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM
User Info
(08-08-2019, 07:47 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

The CH2 knot is great, but the handle sucks (too small and not ergonomic for my XL hands)

I like the CH2, but can certainly see why some would find the handle too small.   I would like to see a Simpson synthetic with a 25mm knot in a 59 handle.  This would cover what I see as a gap in Simpson's synthetic offerings.

60 9,553
 08-08-2019, 02:54 PM
User Info
A synthetic CH3 knot in a Polo 10 handle would make me buy my first Simpson in years after selling my entire Simpson collection in 2015/2016.

Simpson simply didn’t have a knot/handle combo in their entire huge collection I could accept.

And I have owned 30+ Simpson brushes. I really gave them a fair try.

25 6,641
 08-08-2019, 05:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Claus, I so enjoyed seeing your posts at the time. You surely had some beautiful Simpson brushes! It’s also good to know that you have found brush happiness with your assortment of Shavemacs and others. Enjoy your shaves Smile

15 3,693
 08-08-2019, 05:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-08-2019, 10:47 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I like the CH2, but can certainly see why some would find the handle too small.   I would like to see a Simpson synthetic with a 25mm knot in a 59 handle.  This would cover what I see as a gap in Simpson's synthetic offerings.

That’s an interesting brush idea. The 59 is SUBSTANTIAL. I’d say they could fit a bigger knot than 25mm Biggrin

15 3,693
 08-08-2019, 09:21 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-08-2019, 06:09 AM)Rohleder Wrote:

I may be wrong but I think it was around the time those Chinese Aliexpress brands began selling factory direct, meaning you had the choice of 6+ different knot styles in 10+ different funky style resin handles for what was often 1/4 the price of a single and very conservative looking Muehle. Of course, we know Muehle are generally quality products and the Chinese imports patchy at best but most low end brush buyers are not a particularly fussy lot (from what I've seen) and so quantity defeated quality.

Yes, I think you are right.

52 21,016
 08-09-2019, 10:27 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Sorry for your loss... personally however, I always liked best the 'L' size.

91 3,790