08-09-2019, 04:32 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(08-08-2019, 10:31 AM)Ols67 Wrote: That’s the whole set ...
It's on the way the new Deo Cream.
Wink

0 1,828
 08-11-2019, 04:57 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Saponificio Varesino, pretty much any scent.  Easy to lather, great scents, super slick, and fantastic protection.  I think these soaps really benefit from a pre-soak and using a brush that isn't super dense.

12 2,151
 08-11-2019, 06:28 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I used AoS tallow this morning as I hadn’t in a while. It’s very much a Top5, but IMHO it’s not the GOAT for me.

65 1,909
 08-11-2019, 06:51 AM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 06:28 AM)MaxP Wrote: I used AoS tallow this morning as I hadn’t in a while. It’s very much a Top5, but IMHO it’s not the GOAT for me.

YES! Somewhere in the top six for me...my top six are all so fantastic performance wise, the thing that usually differentiates is the fragrance that I am in the mood to smell. That being said Safari holds the top spot!

Vr

Matt

32 1,717
 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM
  • Niro884
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Tough one because its just one but, i Coloniali Mango Soap. 

73 992
 08-12-2019, 09:56 AM
User Info
(08-12-2019, 09:04 AM)Niro884 Wrote: Tough one because its just one but, i Coloniali Mango Soap. 

Truly a refined and superb soap all around Carmine! I love this soap!

Vr

Matt

32 1,717
 08-12-2019, 01:15 PM
User Info
At any given time, I have more of Manuel's scents in my inventory than any other soap maker.  Earlier this year, I finished tins of his Fougere and Vetiver.  I know I'll be adding his new formulations of Sandalo and Tobacco.  Arguably, this makes JabonMan my GOAT.

[Image: 4Vkn9hf.jpg]

60 9,573
 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM
User Info
(08-12-2019, 01:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: At any given time, I have more of Manuel's scents in my inventory than any other soap maker.  Earlier this year, I finished tins of his Fougere and Vetiver.  I know I'll be adding his new formulations of Sandalo and Tobacco.  Arguably, this makes JabonMan my GOAT.

Hey Ricardo! How much better is the new formulation? What attributes does it have performance wise?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

32 1,717
 08-12-2019, 05:40 PM
User Info
The G.O.A.T. soap? I don't know. Has Tom Brady ever endorsed a brand of shaving soap?

0 4
 08-12-2019, 06:39 PM
User Info
+1 for Mike's

12 639
 08-13-2019, 03:11 AM
User Info
(08-12-2019, 05:40 PM)Campion Wrote: The G.O.A.T. soap? I don't know. Has Tom Brady ever endorsed a brand of shaving soap?

Bahaha! That chap is the last to still be playing in the NFL from his recruitment class...he is truly the GOAT QB!

Vr

Matt

32 1,717
 08-13-2019, 09:17 AM
User Info
Mitchell's wool fat of course!

0 88
 08-13-2019, 05:33 PM
User Info
(08-12-2019, 01:29 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 01:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: At any given time, I have more of Manuel's scents in my inventory than any other soap maker.  Earlier this year, I finished tins of his Fougere and Vetiver.  I know I'll be adding his new formulations of Sandalo and Tobacco.  Arguably, this makes JabonMan my GOAT.

Hey Ricardo!  How much better is the new formulation?  What attributes does it have performance wise?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

Matt, I've only had limited experience with Manuel's new soap base.  Honestly, I can't feel any difference yet.  His original formula was outstanding, and I don't know what he could improve on.  Perhaps other guys are better able to detect the difference than I am.

60 9,573
 08-13-2019, 05:50 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Mike's Natural.

38 6,053
 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I don’t feel qualified to make a GOAT declaration. Everything I say comes with a huge caveat; I am making my own lather with a brush and soap for only 5+ years, and have tried perhaps only a baker’s dozen or so of different makers’ soaps. Within each brand, perhaps as many as as half a dozen different varieties. While that may seem like a lot of soaps (it is, right?), compared to many members, my experience is quite limited. Also, I use unscented soap for probably 75% of my shaves. If a maker doesn’t produce an unscented product, I’ve likely not tried the brand.

That out of the way, my favorite commercial soap maker is Valobra. The blue jar stuff and the AoS pucks get high marks in all areas we deem important. It was discussed a while back that the brand had been sold, and some folks expressed concern that the product may change for the worse. Let’s hope that fear is unfounded. The hoarder in me is a bit uptight...

I’ve tried quite a few artisan brands. Frankly, most, if not all of the artisan soaps I have tried are superb products. Some are no longer available - thankfully I have a big box stashed away in the closet of my precious soap stash. I can shave for the next 12+ years. But back to the point, kudos to B&M, Shannon’s, Mike’s, Strop Shoppe, Tim’s, Mystic Water and CRSW; all make/made unscented soap that is a joy to shave with. I can’t choose just one as GOAT. In the scented category, honorable mentions to ASW and LPL.

Thanks very much for asking Smile

15 3,701
 08-14-2019, 04:01 AM
User Info
Nice post Chaz! I also am happy to say I have a stash of MDC, AOS Sandalwood (tallow), RL Safari, and Old Spice that will likely last 12 plus years...not to mention a few goodies like Nuavia, ABC, SMN, Stirling, Wholly Kaw, and Shannon’s Soaps! All a joy to use!

Vr

Matt

32 1,717
 08-14-2019, 04:57 AM
User Info
Even with so many great soaps out there this is an easy one for me - Glide from Cold River Soap Works. If forced to choose a scent it's a toss up between Col Med and Olfactory Hue.

0 142
 08-14-2019, 06:53 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
(08-13-2019, 07:29 PM)chazt Wrote: I don’t feel qualified to make a GOAT declaration. Everything I say comes with a huge caveat; I am making my own lather with a brush and soap for only 5+ years, and have tried perhaps only a baker’s dozen or so of different makers’ soaps. Within each brand, perhaps as many as as half a dozen different varieties. While that may seem like a lot of soaps (it is, right?), compared to many members, my experience is quite limited. Also, I use unscented soap for probably 75% of my shaves. If a maker doesn’t produce an unscented product, I’ve likely not tried the brand.

That out of the way, my favorite commercial soap maker is Valobra. The blue jar stuff and the AoS pucks get high marks in all areas we deem important. It was discussed a while back that the brand had been sold, and some folks expressed concern that the product may change for the worse. Let’s hope that fear is unfounded. The hoarder in me is a bit uptight...

I’ve tried quite a few artisan brands. Frankly, most, if not all of the artisan soaps I have tried are superb products. Some are no longer available - thankfully I have a big box stashed away in the closet of my precious soap stash. I can shave for the next 12+ years. But back to the point, kudos to B&M, Shannon’s, Mike’s, Strop Shoppe, Tim’s, Mystic Water and CRSW; all make/made unscented soap that is a joy to shave with. I can’t choose just one as GOAT. In the scented category, honorable mentions to ASW and LPL.

Very well said.

23 778
 08-14-2019, 06:23 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(08-14-2019, 06:53 AM)Deuce Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 07:29 PM)chazt Wrote: I don’t feel qualified to make a GOAT declaration. Everything I say comes with a huge caveat; I am making my own lather with a brush and soap for only 5+ years, and have tried perhaps only a baker’s dozen or so of different makers’ soaps. Within each brand, perhaps as many as as half a dozen different varieties. While that may seem like a lot of soaps (it is, right?), compared to many members, my experience is quite limited. Also, I use unscented soap for probably 75% of my shaves. If a maker doesn’t produce an unscented product, I’ve likely not tried the brand.

Very well said.
+1

91 3,797
 08-15-2019, 12:50 AM
User Info
My GOAT used to be Nuavia, not so any more.

At the moment these are among the best shaving soaps in my collection.
I think I own in the region of 150-200 different soaps, probably 25-30 different brands, give or take.
I have yet to try CRSW Glide.

In no particular order these are my favourite shaving soaps at the moment:

Czech & Speak 88 & O&C (made by Valobra)

AOS Tallow (made by Valobra)

Jabonman - really solid performer. I will buy more from Manuel later on.

CRSW - still have 10-12 of the old Select version. What a great soap Larry makes.

Mike’s Natural - I think I have 7-8 soaps from Mike left. Great lather. Great performance. Stellar shaving soap.

Barrister & Mann - always solid performance and stable creamy lather.
I just used the B&M White from 2013 in the Fougere Aromatic version. It performs fantastic. I think I own 16-18 B&M shaving soaps. Give or take a few.

Le Père Lucien - all his versions pretty much, with or without Tallow

Martin De Candre - used to rank this lower since it lacks a bit in the protection department, but their scents are so nice and the lather so easy to make and so stable

Saponificio Varesino - I own his first versions and in total 7-8 shaving soaps from SV, they all perform marvellous

Castle Forbes - this is a cream really, but my 3 are now getting harder and I treat them like a croap. Great scents, even the third weird woody one is quite good. Nice performance and great stable lather.

Tabula Rasa - also a cream, but my 10-12 Tabula Rasa’s are now more croap like in texture. Love their scents and stable performance. Always creates a creamy stable lather and gives me a nice shave.

Esbjerg - again a cream, but my 5-6 Esbjerg are now more croap like. What a fantastic shaving croap it is. Great stuff.

Tabac hard soap - just a classic that always give me a fantastic lather and effortless shave.

Meißner Tremonia - I own 10 of their hard soaps and 10 of their croaps. Great shaving soap. Great scents.

Boellis Panama - my favourite almond shaving soap. Could also mention ABC and Cella here. But Boellis just edge them out. ABC’s hard soap and cream loses all its almond scent after a while. Mine are pretty much scent less now. Same with Cella which turns yellow after 1-2 years. Boellis stays pretty much the same.

I Coloniali - forgot this one. I hyped this up on this forum 3-4 years ago. Unfortunately it’s discontinued now. I still have one new puck left.
Great stuff.

Klar Seifen - also forgot this outstanding shaving soap. Great performer always.

These picks are subject to change depending on my fickle mood and season of the year, but most of them have been my personal top shaving soaps for years now.

25 6,644