08-15-2019, 04:33 AM
User Info
(08-15-2019, 12:50 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: My GOAT used to be Nuavia, not so any more.

At the moment these are among the best shaving soaps in my collection.
I think I own in the region of 150-200 different soaps, probably 25-30 different brands, give or take.
I have yet to try CRSW Glide.

In no particular order these are my favourite shaving soaps at the moment:

Czech & Speak 88 & O&C (made by Valobra)

AOS Tallow (made by Valobra)

Jabonman - really solid performer. I will buy more from Manuel later on.

CRSW - still have 10-12 of the old Select version. What a great soap Larry makes.

Mike’s Natural - I think I have 7-8 soaps from Mike left. Great lather. Great performance. Stellar shaving soap.

Barrister & Mann - always solid performance and stable creamy lather.

Le Père Lucien - all his versions pretty much, with or without Tallow

Martin De Candre - used to rank this lower since it lacks a bit in the protection department, but their scents are so nice and the lather so easy to make and so stable

Saponificio Varesino - I own his first versions and in total 7-8 shaving soaps from SV, they all perform marvellous

Castle Forbes - this is a cream really, but my 3 are now getting harder and I treat them like a croap. Great scents, even the third weird woody one is quite good. Nice performance and great stable lather.

Tabula Rasa - also a cream, but my 10-12 Tabula Rasa’s are now more croap like in texture. Love their scents and stable performance. Always creates a creamy stable lather and gives me a nice shave.

Esbjerg - again a cream, but my 5-6 Esbjerg are now more croap like. What a fantastic shaving croap it is. Great stuff.

Tabac hard soap - just a classic that always give me a fantastic lather and effortless shave.

Meißner Tremonia - I own 10 of their hard soaps and 10 of their croaps. Great shaving soap. Great scents.

Boellis Panama - my favourite almond shaving soap. Could also mention ABC and Cella here. But Boellis just edge them out. ABC’s hard soap and cream loses all its almond scent after a while. Mine are pretty much scent less now. Same with Cella which turns yellow after 1-2 years. Boellis stays pretty much the same.

These picks are subject to change depending on my fickle mood and season of the year, but most of them have been my personal top shaving soaps for years now.

Claus,

Can we put you in the category of too many good products to choose one GOAT?

Vr

Matt

29 1,451
 08-15-2019, 11:31 PM
User Info
(08-15-2019, 04:33 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 12:50 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: My GOAT used to be Nuavia, not so any more.

At the moment these are among the best shaving soaps in my collection.
I think I own in the region of 150-200 different soaps, probably 25-30 different brands, give or take.
I have yet to try CRSW Glide.

In no particular order these are my favourite shaving soaps at the moment:

Czech & Speak 88 & O&C (made by Valobra)

AOS Tallow (made by Valobra)

Jabonman - really solid performer. I will buy more from Manuel later on.

CRSW - still have 10-12 of the old Select version. What a great soap Larry makes.

Mike’s Natural - I think I have 7-8 soaps from Mike left. Great lather. Great performance. Stellar shaving soap.

Barrister & Mann - always solid performance and stable creamy lather.

Le Père Lucien - all his versions pretty much, with or without Tallow

Martin De Candre - used to rank this lower since it lacks a bit in the protection department, but their scents are so nice and the lather so easy to make and so stable

Saponificio Varesino - I own his first versions and in total 7-8 shaving soaps from SV, they all perform marvellous

Castle Forbes - this is a cream really, but my 3 are now getting harder and I treat them like a croap. Great scents, even the third weird woody one is quite good. Nice performance and great stable lather.

Tabula Rasa - also a cream, but my 10-12 Tabula Rasa’s are now more croap like in texture. Love their scents and stable performance. Always creates a creamy stable lather and gives me a nice shave.

Esbjerg - again a cream, but my 5-6 Esbjerg are now more croap like. What a fantastic shaving croap it is. Great stuff.

Tabac hard soap - just a classic that always give me a fantastic lather and effortless shave.

Meißner Tremonia - I own 10 of their hard soaps and 10 of their croaps. Great shaving soap. Great scents.

Boellis Panama - my favourite almond shaving soap. Could also mention ABC and Cella here. But Boellis just edge them out. ABC’s hard soap and cream loses all its almond scent after a while. Mine are pretty much scent less now. Same with Cella which turns yellow after 1-2 years. Boellis stays pretty much the same.

These picks are subject to change depending on my fickle mood and season of the year, but most of them have been my personal top shaving soaps for years now.

Claus,

Can we put you in the category of too many good products to choose one GOAT?

Vr

Matt

Hey Matt,

The more I’m into this hobby, the harder it is for me to name just one product as the best/ultimate.

25 6,619
 08-16-2019, 01:10 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
If you want me to pick the greatest in terms of performance its Yardley, hands down. If you want to choose my favorite one to use, the choice becomes a list. A list of quite a few at the moment.

8 2,644
 08-16-2019, 02:41 AM
User Info
(08-16-2019, 01:10 AM)Mouser Wrote: If you want me to pick the greatest in terms of performance its Yardley, hands down. If you want to choose my favorite one to use, the choice becomes a list. A list of quite a few at the moment.

Let’s hear your list !

25 6,619
 08-16-2019, 06:23 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-16-2019, 02:41 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 01:10 AM)Mouser Wrote: If you want me to pick the greatest in terms of performance its Yardley, hands down. If you want to choose my favorite one to use, the choice becomes a list. A list of quite a few at the moment.

Let’s hear your list !

Ok. Old man that I am I'm sure I'll forget one or two. Or five. But here goes, all tied. Some pricey, some not. That doesn't enter into my evaluation at all.
C&S O&C
Ralph Lauren Safari
Nuavia Blu
Boellis Panama 
AoS tallow Lavender and Sandalwood
Valobra  Fougere...yes, I like the scent
MWF
Sir Irisch Moos 
Tabac...love it with Alt Innsbruck 
C&E Sienna and Nomad
PdP original...maybe my favorite veggie soap
...see what mean? Life's too short to use anything but what works and smells best..for me..and there's plenty of them. I just had to stop trying new ones because if it rates, I have to add it and enough is enough.

8 2,644
 08-16-2019, 07:35 AM
User Info
I haven’t tried Sir Irisch Moos! How does the performance rate vs RL Safari?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

29 1,451
 Yesterday, 07:29 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Sir Irisch Moos is a discontinued Tabac scent, so if you know how Tabac performs, you know how SIM performs too.

I’ve pondered how to respond, and for me it depends on how one defines ‘greatest’. And greatest what, soap croap, cream, scent?

Overall balance of performance, scent, slickness, cleanliness (no nasty residue), and post shave, it’s Martin de Candre for me.

Best performing hard soap, tie between ABC hard soap and I Coloniali Mango, though as a SR user I’d lean to the IC.

Best performing cream, too many to mention, but I could live with MdC croap and Santa Mariah Novella cream. The other Italian creams are equally good, I Coloniali Rhubarb/Atkinson’s for Gentlemen (same cream, lavender scent), XPEC (unscented), ABC cream, Castle Forbes lime, Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (arguably the greatest scent).

8 750
 Yesterday, 08:02 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 07:29 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Sir Irisch Moos is a discontinued Tabac scent, so if you know how Tabac performs, you know how SIM performs too.

I’ve pondered how to respond, and for me it depends on how one defines ‘greatest’. And greatest what, soap croap, cream, scent?

Overall balance of performance, scent, slickness, cleanliness (no nasty residue), and post shave, it’s Martin de Candre for me.

Best performing hard soap, tie between ABC hard soap and I Coloniali Mango, though as a SR user I’d lean to the IC.

Best performing cream, too many to mention, but I could live with MdC croap and Santa Mariah Novella cream. The other Italian creams are equally good, I Coloniali Rhubarb/Atkinson’s for Gentlemen (same cream, lavender scent), XPEC (unscented), ABC cream, Castle Forbes lime, Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (arguably the greatest scent).

Tabac is a nice performing soap! If you like great soaps that do not leave any residue, you should try Mystic Water Marrakesh! It’s the “cleanest” soap I have used, has great performance, and smells of the desert after a rain storm!

Vr

Matt

29 1,451
 Yesterday, 08:59 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
I have come to realize I really enjoy the Icarus base from Declaration Grooming. The high numbers of days and milks is extremely nourishing and leave me skin feeling wonderful. Not to mention the creamy and slick lather it makes.

40 1,927
 Yesterday, 10:30 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Lol, I am not one of the chosen that gets good lather out of MW. I tried 3 samples, 2 made me tingle (which is unusual for me) and none would lather well.

8 750
 Yesterday, 01:05 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 10:30 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Lol, I am not one of the chosen that gets good lather out of MW. I tried 3 samples, 2 made me tingle (which is unusual for me) and none would lather well.

This is too bad! Sorry to hear it Steve!

Vr

Matt

29 1,451