08-11-2019, 06:59 AM
User Info
I don’t drink much anymore, but I think we need a beer thread!

I had this last night, and it went down real smooth and easy!

Vr

Matt

[Image: bHMLPvo.jpg]

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 07:22 AM
User Info
Yuengling is an excellent Lager and reasonably priced.  An ice cold Yuengling is very refreshing after a run in Miami's heat.

60 10,391
 08-11-2019, 07:34 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
My dad is very faithful to Yuengling.  During my childhood we used to take a tour of the brewery every summer.  He used to make Black & Tans manually and drink one after mowing the lawn.  

My brother in law fills up a suitcase for the return flight with Yuengling every time he visits (he lives in Utah).  And now my brother works with them on technology issues.  I don't know of another beer that tastes like Yuengling.  I am glad they have not sold out to a big corporation.

0 335
 08-11-2019, 08:21 AM
User Info
Yet another reason why Pennsylvania is the greatest state in the nation....

- Yeungling is oldest brewery in the US
- Keystone State during Recolutionary War
- Produced much of the steel that helped the allies win WWII
- Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates!
- Primanti Brothers
- First oil well ever
- Marcellus Shale
- Best anthracite coal on earth...enough to power the US for generations
- The show, “The Office” supposedly based in Scranton, PA
- Liberty Bell

Those are just some of the reasons that immeadiately come to mind! A fellows PA’er and I used to sit at work thinking of reasons why PA is the best state in the US! Love it!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Since I have celiac and now must avoid gluten or get sick for 2 weeks, beer is off of my personal menu. I loved dark heavy beers in the Trappist style (up to 10% alcohol)  and great flavor that can be improved with aging like wine. the Ommegang brewery in NY produces wonderful beers, Fin du Monde from Canada is superb. well at least I have my memories.

Germany has the right idea...beer must have certain ingredients to be called beer, ie. gluten free beer should NOT be called beer.

I am enjoying Hard ciders both american (sweet) and european (tangy) nowadays.

the hard soda seems a bit too gimicky to me. anybody try one?

0 462
 08-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
C. F. Martin & Co., Est. 1833
Nazareth, PA

16 4,304
 08-11-2019, 10:38 AM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 08:21 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Yet another reason why Pennsylvania is the greatest state in the nation....

- Primanti Brothers
- First oil well ever
- Marcellus Shale
- Liberty Bell

Those are just some of the reasons that immeadiately come to mind! A fellows PA’er and I used to sit at work thinking of reasons why PA is the best state in the US! Love it!

Vr

Matt

Primanti Brothers lol!!! I’ve had that before! Is that giy with the ‘Cambodican’ truck still there? It was where all the bars are downtown(?) I remember he reallllly liked chatting up the ladies lol!

For beer San Diego is where it’s at! Smile

14 660
 08-11-2019, 10:47 AM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 08:38 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Since I have celiac and now must avoid gluten or get sick for 2 weeks, beer is off of my personal menu. I loved dark heavy beers in the Trappist style (up to 10% alcohol)  and great flavor that can be improved with aging like wine. the Ommegang brewery in NY produces wonderful beers, Fin du Monde from Canada is superb. well at least I have my memories.

Germany has the right idea...beer must have certain ingredients to be called beer, ie. gluten free beer should NOT be called beer.

You would have probably loved Lost Abby! Very heavy duty, like the Trappist monk version of Stone Brewery. They were a bit much for me, as are most of the Stone offerings. I did enjoy a pint or bomber of ‘Arrogant Bastard’ once in a blue moon.

I’m not sure how far spreading these are, but here we have a few different kombucha companies that make high alcohol content (~7%) kombucha. Boochcraft is one, that’s the one I enjoyed most often. Those should be gluten free, too! They taste like, maybe a light sour if that makes sense. I quite enjoyed them myself! I also really enjoy pungent very sour kombucha, like the ‘Kevita Master Brew Ginger’ and GT’s Gingerade lol. Extremely tart and sour Smile

14 660
 08-11-2019, 11:01 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
With in-laws in Allentown, I've been able to enjoy the region frequently. Visiting the Yuengling brewery and the Martin guitar factory are the highlights, in my book.

17 725
 08-11-2019, 01:19 PM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 08:38 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Since I have celiac and now must avoid gluten or get sick for 2 weeks, beer is off of my personal menu. I loved dark heavy beers in the Trappist style (up to 10% alcohol)  and great flavor that can be improved with aging like wine. the Ommegang brewery in NY produces wonderful beers, Fin du Monde from Canada is superb. well at least I have my memories.

I need to try some of that beer that gets better with age! My basement is always cool and dry...I suspect it would be perfect for aging beer...and wine fornthay matter!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 01:19 PM
User Info

You have the right idea. Real beer doesn't contain gluten since the right ingredients don't. You know you can brew your own beer? It just requires attention to sterilization and attention to your own "bug" contamination. That's how beer got started, if one went to a town the water wasn't to be trusted, but if the beer didn't smell like a sewer or pour like dinosaur snot it was safe to drink to rehydrate oneself.

I can no longer drink much beer either as much as I love it. I made some fantastic brews in years past. Effin' prostate! According to a friends mom, "Getting old isn't for sissies!". Yeah, she's correct.

32 6,603
 08-11-2019, 01:21 PM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 08:54 AM)chazt Wrote: C. F. Martin & Co., Est. 1833
Nazareth, PA

I wonder if thats the second oldest brewery? Yeungling was supposedly established in 1829. Is it possible that PA just got even better by having the two oldest breweries in the US to its credit??

I just had another Yeungling, and it was quite nice!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 01:24 PM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 10:38 AM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 08:21 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Yet another reason why Pennsylvania is the greatest state in the nation....

- Primanti Brothers
- First oil well ever
- Marcellus Shale
- Liberty Bell

Vr

Matt

Primanti Brothers lol!!! I’ve had that before! Is that giy with the ‘Cambodican’ truck still there? It was where all the bars are downtown(?) I remember he reallllly liked chatting up the ladies lol!

For beer San Diego is where it’s at! Smile

Ha! Damned if I know, I live in VA now, but I do make it back to Altoona a couple times a year! I went to college at Pitt, and Primanti brothers was truly something special after a night of antics and debauchtery from when I was less than a distinguished gentleman!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(08-11-2019, 01:21 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
Nazareth, PA

I wonder if thats the second oldest brewery?  Yeungling was supposedly established in 1829.  Is it possible that PA just got even better by having the two oldest breweries in the US to its credit??

I just had another Yeungling, and it was quite nice!

Vr

Matt

Martin makes guitars, not beer. Though if they did, I'm sure it would be great beer!

17 725
 08-11-2019, 01:27 PM
User Info
Nazareth, PA

Whoops! Famous guitar maker...I should have known Chaz...yet another reason PA is outstanding!

I didn’t even know it...wait till my pal from Scranton at work hears!

Vr

Matt

PS. I am a chicken nugget!

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 01:30 PM
User Info
Yuengling is a great beer.  And inexpensive too.  I also like Rolling Rock.  But I have to say my favorite beer is Chimay.  I really love the Blue label.  It may have the most alcohol content but it is the smoothest of their three ales to my taste buds.  Another favorite is Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA.  Absolutely delicious.  And lastly, I love Saranac Adirondack Amber.  I also like Guinness.  Oh what the heck.  I love most Belgian Ales.  Leffe is very nice.  Sadly I don't drink much beer lately either as it puts on too much weight and I'm trying to go the opposite direction and drop some weight.

2 390
 08-11-2019, 01:34 PM
User Info
I am not a purist...I also really like Dos Equis green bottle, Land Shark, Hoegaarden, and all manner of hefeweizen!

Cheers gents!

Vr

Matt

[Image: NJ0tGA2.jpg]

36 2,326
 08-11-2019, 01:49 PM
User Info
(08-11-2019, 01:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

You have the right idea. Real beer doesn't contain gluten since the right ingredients don't. You know you can brew your own beer? It just requires attention to sterilization and attention to your own "bug" contamination. That's how beer got started, if one went to a town the water wasn't to be trusted, but if the beer didn't smell like a sewer or pour like dinosaur snot it was safe to drink to rehydrate oneself.

I can no longer drink much beer either as much as I love it. I made some fantastic brews in years past. Effin' prostate! According to a friends mom, "Getting old isn't for sissies!". Yeah, she's correct.

I think you miss read the post "ie. gluten free beer should NOT be called beer."

The few "original" ingredient doesn't have wheat, but the barley still contain gluten.

and you also need to know that "Most yeast is gluten-free, but some kinds of yeast do contain gluten."

Where I live there is a microbrewery called "Glutenberg" that make some awesome gluten free beer. I have heard that they have started to ship to some place in the US, might be worth to look at it. They are making everything from the light blonde to the dark heavy bourbon like beer with a lot very unique thing like beer aged with Lapsang souchong tea or other with basil or some mixed with Icewine.

0 283
 08-11-2019, 07:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
My nostalgic all time favorite beer is Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Christmas ‘84, my wife and I travelled to Vermont with her brother and his wife for a long weekend of wintertime fun. One afternoon bro-in-law and I were seriously parched and walked in to a local pub. We’d never seen this new microbrew before, so we figured wth, let’s try it. One sip and I was hooked. I remember thinking at the time it was like drinking a beer milkshake. It was a revelation after a lifetime of Budweiser, Miller and similar mass produced beers. The other brews I truly love are Samuel Adams Octoberfest, Guinness Stout and Old Rasputin. Overall, my beer consumption is way down the last dozen or so years as my appreciation for fine wine has taken hold.

16 4,304
 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(08-11-2019, 01:30 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Yuengling is a great beer.  And inexpensive too.  I also like Rolling Rock.  But I have to say my favorite beer is Chimay.  I really love the Blue label.  It may have the most alcohol content but it is the smoothest of their three ales to my taste buds.  Another favorite is Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA.  Absolutely delicious.  And lastly, I love Saranac Adirondack Amber.  I also like Guinness.  Oh what the heck.  I love most Belgian Ales.  Leffe is very nice.  Sadly I don't drink much beer lately either as it puts on too much weight and I'm trying to go the opposite direction and drop some weight.

I love Chimay. The problem with that beer is that it’s too easy to become shiffazzed.

17 725