01-15-2021, 06:20 AM
User Info
I’m mostly an IPA guy.  A good Guinness occasionally...Tap or canned.
The best India Pale Ale created by a human is Deschutes Brewing Fresh Squeezed IPA.  It has a very hoppy and grapefruit flavor.  No flavoring, the citrus comes from the hops.  Nothing better.  They have an amazing Porter, called Black Butte.

7 256
 01-16-2021, 03:36 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-15-2021, 06:20 AM)PATRIOT Wrote: I’m mostly an IPA guy.  A good Guinness occasionally...Tap or canned.
The best India Pale Ale created by a human is Deschutes Brewing Fresh Squeezed IPA.  It has a very hoppy and grapefruit flavor.  No flavoring, the citrus comes from the hops.  Nothing better.  They have an amazing Porter, called Black Butte.

As a native Oregonian and a committed beer drinker, I have downed my share of Deschutes Brewing offerings over the years.  At one time -- not too long ago, so it may still hold -- Portland (Oregon) boasted the second largest (behind (Koln) number of breweries among all the cities in the world.  NB: not second largest per capita, but second largest absolute.  When one of our local breweries first introduced an IPA a couple of decades back, it had to explain what an IPA was, and I tried that, and several other IPAs that followed in quick succession.  I liked them, but the fad became an infestation.  At any of our larger supermarkets in 2021, 60% to 75% of the shelf space for bottled or canned beers now is occupied by IPAs with a variety of modifiers:  "West Coast Style IPA," and the like.  Now, I do not dislike IPA, but, frankly, I have grown very tired of it.  I suppose I would grown tired of Chanterelle mushrooms sauteed in butter, too, if they were available 52 weeks of the year, but they are not, so I dive into them like a whale in a krill field when they show up in the autumn.  

But I digress.  I commend to you a much more obscure Oregon beer:  Pelican Brewing's KIWANDA Pre-Prohibition Cream Ale:

[Image: Du2kumI.jpg]

The "Pre-Prohibition" modifier is important, because. in the breweries' seeking for novel styles to offer, several have introduced "Cream Ale," a noble style of itself, but wimped down to conform to the green eyeshades' advice of what they (the ignorant green eyeshades) think people will buy, not considering whether, having bought it once, the people who actually drink the brew will take the initiative to seek it out to enjoy it again and again.  

Pelican Brewing"s Kiwanda Pre-Prohibition Cream Ale is worth a trip from wherever you are to Tillamook, Oregon, even with pandemic travel restrictions.  (It also is sold widely in Portland, which is closer to a major airport than Tillamook is.) Not wimpy. 

1 1,467
 01-17-2021, 11:06 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I'm not really a steady beer drinker.  But last year I developed a keen interest in dark beers.  Longish story behind that.  Anyways...so I've had a few and have really enjoyed them all.  
Troeggs Java Head Stout 
Elk Creek brewing (A local and I know the founder of it) they have a good Poe Paddy Porter
And Wicked Weed brewing had a chocolate stout last Fall that was real good too.  Can't remember the name of it and it isn't on their web site as of this posting.

0 344
 02-10-2021, 12:15 PM
User Info
[Image: rNOQq19.jpg]I am not a steady beer drinker either...but it’s time to put today in the books!

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 02-10-2021, 09:24 PM
User Info
I drink too much in general :-)

I have a weak spot for Single malt Scottish peat whisky and dark ales & stouts.

I probably drink 2-3 beers or 2-3 glasses of wine daily, during cooking in the evening.

I favour the darker beers in general.
A good lager & IPS is fine, but ales and stouts are my favourite type beers.

It’s mostly danish smaller micro breweries I prefer. We have so many. You wouldn’t know them, if I stated them here.

But I’ll do it anyway ;-)

My favourite beer breweries are:

Herslev, Fur, Thisted, Jacobsen (this one is actually Carlsberg owned), Skovlyst, Lottrup, Wibroe, Nørrebro Bryghus, Mikkeler and a couple more are my preferred.

I rarely drink Tuborg or Carlsberg. Too boring.

25 6,985
 02-11-2021, 07:42 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
We were at a Chamber of Commerce mixer tonight.  Held at Bald Birds Brewing in the next town up from ours.  I had their Bald Eagle Stout.  Very delightful.  Good body. Chocolate notes that weren't over the top.  Nice way to end a busy day.

0 344