09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250460.JPG?m=1348164564]

Until today , I haven't been too partial to brushes with knots over 25/25 mm. This could have changed today. Good news for me and bad for my bank account/credit card.

I tried the Simpson Chubby 1 super badger shaving brush and I found it not as good as expected , not because of its quality , which is there , but I didnt find it as "balanced" as a Simpson Classic 1 best badger shaving brush. and kind of awkward to hold , to be honest.

This brush is a poem to excess : excess of hair , of product used , of lather...but what a great excess!!

[Image: P1250461.JPG?m=1348164632]

"Out of the box" , this brush caught my attention yesterday , over a Simpson Tulip 3 Manchurian badger and a Classic 1 in super badger two band.
Yes,I had a Simpson Somerset ( David Carter era ) Chubby 2 best badger two band on my hands in the past and It wasnt very balanced for my taste : large knot and even more larger loft (over 56 mm).This one is simply "right" : 27 X 50 mm.

[Image: P1250462.JPG?m=1348164566]

This brush is quiet heavy and have an sturdy "feeling" (if that's makes sense).So easy to hold and I like the " sensations " that the brush gives : its like you know that some of the "misticism" around the Chubby brushes is made real with this brush.You know that you have a piece of history in your hands (as I understand ,Mr Alexander Simpson's fav brush) which is made with the pride that deserves , even when the company is not "the same" than it used to be.

[Image: P1250463.JPG?m=1348164635]

And since its a brush of excess , the badger hair is super densely packed (basically ,almost to the extreme) and yes ,if feels like a wall of badger hair when its apply on the face.But I don't mind that , since I'm pampering myself with this brush.

The best badger hair feels softer with a tiny little bit of scritch. This is not the Manchurian Badger from the Tulip 3 , which feels (to me) more like a pure badger hair.No, this one feels like good silvertip hair (if there is such thing , since silvertip hair is silvertip) but of a good grade of silvertip.

If the Tulip Manchurian 3 is a lather machine , this is the lather factory...Yes,It will eat soaps and creams like nothing but you will be reward it with a festival , a lather party.
Is it a lather hog?I have no idea.In all the test I have made with this brush have made so much lather that I could use it for shaving my head and face and have extra lather left...Yes,it will eat your soaps and creams , but again ,I dont want to be buried with them.

Some people say that there should be a Chubby 1.5 since the Chubby 1 is too small.I kind of agree with that.For others the Chubby 1.5 is the Duke 3.Well , this is a pic of the 3 of them , to compare sizes :

[Image: P1250466.JPG?m=1348164696]

I ind this brush wich a flow improper of a super , extra densely packed with hair shaving brush.I found that brushes with short lofts and extra packed with hair , sometimes lack that flow that I like.In this particular case , the flow is there .I couldn't ask for more.
The backbone , of course , is also there and the brush doesn't blooms to much either , due to that high hair density. Perfect for facelathering using circular or to and fro strokes.

Yes,the Chubby 2 best badger , the favorite brush of Mr Alexander Simpson.I think I have said enough regarding this , but this brush could be the only one I would buy with a knot over 26 mm.And I will use it when I feel with a sense of excess : its another way of pampering yourself.

86 7,123
 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM
User Info
Great review T.

Your right about luxury/pampering this brush offers. I could have sworn my brush in best has a super knot in its that soft.

Mine had got different stamping. I may look out for one with stamping like that. Looks quite cool.

7 1,179
 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
Thanks for posting this. I see people oo and ah over 2 band or Manchurian all the time - it honestly had me wondering if it was worthwhile to check out a Chubby in best.

12 648
 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-20-2012, 12:31 PM)J_fro Wrote: Thanks for posting this. I see people oo and ah over 2 band or Manchurian all the time - it honestly had me wondering if it was worthwhile to check out a Chubby in best.

According to Mr Gary Young , Chubby 2 in best badger was Mr Alexander Simpson's fav. brush.

I think is worthwhile.Biggrin

86 7,123
 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Teiste

Good review and excellent photos Thumbsup

I got to use a Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger earlier this year for a month, if I'm being brutally honest, it felt a little bit too much brush for me (100% face latherer).

As you say it's beautifully made, has a substantial (yet comfortable) handle, almost insanely over packed knot, yes it eats shaving creams/soaps, but it also releases said products without a fight. And Simpsons Best Badger hair is an excellent grade of hair...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
That's why it's my Avatar....good enough for the Simpson clan and also my all around favorite brush. The standard by which others are judged.

42 1,041
 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
Teiste, thanks for the review.

75 20,883
 09-20-2012, 01:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, after reading this review and after one use of the Chubby 2 2-band Super Badger that Andrew has sent me, I've got the fever. I don't know how I'm going to swing it, but there will be a Chubby 2 Best Badger in my future.

I just need to try a Chubby 1 before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for another excellent review.

173 23,492
 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Very nice write-up, Teiste. I think it's about time we had a proper thread about the CH2 Best here. It is such an iconic brush.

It actually took me a bit longer to realize how much I like the CH2 in Best. I had one and sold it because I wasn't very keen on it. I got a 2-band Super which I love, then picked up a 3-band Super, and decided I needed to give the Best another chance. I am so glad I did. Sometimes you come back to things you initially didn't care for to find they are suddenly your favorite. I think perhaps I never really figured out how to use my first CH2 Best. It sounds like you hit the ground with it running.

43 1,690
 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I knew it! Good news my friend, I would have also like chubby 1.5 but I will never let my chubby 2 go Wink

88 4,233
 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Nice review.

12 743
 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info
Excellent review.

At one time, what seems to be a long time ago, I thought why would I ever want a brush with a knot greater than 22 mm. That changed after I used a couple of larger knotted brushes.

Enjoy the luxury.

1 2,827
 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
In full agreement with your review!

I currently have the Chubby 2 Best & a Chubby 3 Super - excellent brushes!

I'm curious - you show the Duke 3 in your picture - I've never owned a Duke, but the Duke 3 would be the model of choice if I did buy one. Does it pretty much feel like a smaller Chubby 2 or?

29 466
 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-20-2012, 07:55 PM)Samjax Wrote: In full agreement with your review!

I currently have the Chubby 2 Best & a Chubby 3 Super - excellent brushes!

I'm curious - you show the Duke 3 in your picture - I've never owned a Duke, but the Duke 3 would be the model of choice if I did buy one. Does it pretty much feel like a smaller Chubby 2 or?

The Duke 3 is quiet different , since its packed with hair , but not to the extreme.If you like to facelather , the Duke 3 is one of the top 5 shaving brushes for that task.Tips are soft and the amount of backbone and flow is simply right.But a different "feeling" than the Chubby 2.The Chubby 2 is a wall of badger hair and this is its appealing.

86 7,123
 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
  • hon
User Info
Hi Teiste, if you were asked to choose one between the Ch1 and Ch2. Which will be your choice?
From the photo the Ch2 looks huge. Is the brush too big for practical, daily use?
How much more soaps and creams does the Ch2 use comparing to the Duke 3? 2 or 3 times more?
Thanks for the nice review.

0 38
 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-20-2012, 10:47 PM)hon Wrote: Hi Teiste, if you were asked to choose one between the Ch1 and Ch2. Which will be your choice?
From the photo the Ch2 looks huge. Is the brush too big for practical, daily use?
How much more soaps and creams does the Ch2 use comparing to the Duke 3? 2 or 3 times more?

Hon :

I will choose the Chubby 2 with no shadow of a doubt so far.

Think that Alexander Simpson used this brush is daily basis , so yes , it totally suitable to use it everyday.Maybe you will change a little bit the way you make lather with it on the face , but nothing drastically (more of a to and fro semicircular movement )

Eats soaps and creams like twice more than the Duke for sure too.I dont mind that at all , since rewards you with mountains a extra creamy lather.Tested this evening with triple milled shaving soaps and creams and the lather I got several times , it was extra creamy.

Could this be my fav brush at all ? No , I dont think so. Could it become one of my top 5 shaving brushes? No , but I'm sure that if I buy one , Ill use it more frequently than I do realize now.

86 7,123
 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-20-2012, 10:56 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-20-2012, 10:47 PM)hon Wrote: Hi Teiste, if you were asked to choose one between the Ch1 and Ch2. Which will be your choice?

Hon :

I will choose the Chubby 2 with no shadow of a doubt so far.

Think that Alexander Simpson used this brush is daily basis , so yes , it totally suitable to use it everyday.Maybe you will change a little bit the way you make lather with it on the face , but nothing drastically (more of a to and fro semicircular movement )

Eats soaps and creams like twice more than the Duke for sure too.I dont mind that at all , since rewards you with mountains a extra creamy lather.Tested this evening with triple milled shaving soaps and creams and the lather I got several times , it was extra creamy.

Could this be my fav brush at all ? No , I dont think so. Could it become one of my top 5 shaving brushes? No , but I'm sure that if I buy one , Ill use it more frequently than I do realize now.

Since you started it... Lets list your top 5! Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-21-2012, 09:50 AM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Great review Teiste...I love the Chubby series from Simspons and proud owner of quite a few of them in different hair grades. However, I must admit that the Chubby 2 is my favorite, regardless if it's Best or 2 Band Badger...perfect size, balance, face feel...IMO an all around great brush.

45 708
 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I used this brush yesterday and I confirm everything I wrote on my first post.
Yes , its a brush of excess (I cant imagine a Chubby 3!) but a brush to pamper yourself with no shadow of a doubt.Not the kind of brush I will be using everyday but I can see myself using this brush more frequently than I even thought.And I do prefer it over the Chubby 1 , but I will try the Chubby 1 again to re confirm this like.

86 7,123
 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
Now you're making me want one... And that is never good.

For my finances... :| Maybe I'll just make a frugal man's version.... Dodgy

9 2,988