08-12-2019, 05:03 PM
User Info
Hello!

About to order my first M&F brush and wanted to get some opinions on the current batch of knots coming from Lee. Just curious about anyone who has gotten brushes recently could give their thoughts on these 2 knots. Thanks!

0 1
 08-13-2019, 02:58 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(08-12-2019, 05:03 PM)BEARDoc Wrote: Hello!

About to order my first M&F brush and wanted to get some opinions on the current batch of knots coming from Lee. Just curious about anyone who has gotten brushes recently could give their thoughts on these 2 knots. Thanks!

Since nobody's weighed-in, perhaps I can help.  First of all, Nancy, Lee and I appreciate your considering a bespoke Morris & Forndran brush.  

With that being said:  please understand that the following comments are my subjective observations, and that your mileage may vary.   

All else being equal (handle style, socket size, knot shape, and bristle loft):
  • The 2-band Finest hair tends to present soft tips over medium-firm to firm backbone giving what we feel is a pleasant "scrub."
  • The tips of the 3-band Super hair tend to be a bit less soft exhibiting some initial "scritch" that softens as the knot breaks-in.  (Even so, the Super's tips will still make their presence known to a greater extent than the Finest.  It's a sensation I enjoy, especially if I haven't shaved in a few days.)  At the same time, the shafts of the Super hair are thinner than the Finest (or the Blonde discussed below); so the knot will tend to have more splay/more moderate backbone.
  • Although you didn't mention it, the Blonde hair that's come through recently has been about mid-way between the Finest and Super combining a little less backbone than the Finest with some of the tip "presence" of the Super.
The main things to remember when ordering a Morris & Forndran brush are:  (a) Lee's are dense knots that can take 10 and often more latherings to break in; so initial "feel" can be misleading and (b) if you're uncertain about what you might want, simply reach out to us.  Tell us what you have in mind in terms how you plan to use the brush, your beard type, and the "face feel" you prefer.  If you do that, we can often--not always (we're human after all)--suggest something you'll be happy with.  But if, after conversations, we think an M&F might not be for you, we will tell you--and, if we have nothing to suit you, we will happily refer you to another maker.  

Let's face it.  M&F brushes are not inexpensive; so when you spend your hard-earned money on an M&F (or even on one of ours), we want you to be delighted with it for years to come.

Thanks again for your consideration.  If you decide to honor us with your patronage, it will our privilege to be of service.

4 869
 08-13-2019, 04:41 PM
User Info
How are you designating these new knots, Brad?
Nevermind, I saw the website. Beautiful.

70 5,432
 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Brad, your reply to the OP was well done and highly respect-worthy.

15 3,598