08-15-2019, 03:09 PM
User Info
Gents,

The first day at the beach I was wearing my Costa Del Mar Brine 580G polarized sunglasses with the mirror green lenses. I was holding my three year old in the ocean, and a wall of water seemed to come out of nowhere.  I held my son tight, but lost the glasses.  Needless to say it was upsetting since they are a bit pricey, but not tragic since I didn’t lose the boy and he didn’t swallow any water!  I also had my primary pair of the same glasses, but with the mirror blue lenses on hand.  Afterall, two is one...one is none!

I really value these costa sunglasses, because I feel my eyes relax when I put them on, and they help the wearer to see through the water as much as possible.

At any rate the following day, I felt a pair of sunglasses with my feet, and my brother in law pulled them up.  Sadly, they were not my sunglasses, but a pair of aviator sunglasses that my oldest son really liked!  However, when another kid heard that he had found sunglasses he asked if he could see them, and sure enough they were that kid’s glasses that he had lost the previous day as well!  He ran over to his parents, and nobody could believe it!  So my oldest son gave the glasses up to the actual owner, but I could tell he was bummed!  Then he said, “Yeah I liked them, but I am happy that kid got his sunglasses back!”  I was pretty proud of how he handled it, especially for a 12 year old!

So I took him to Walmart to find a pair of cheap sunglasses that looked cool as a reward for him.  He was really excited, and settled on a pair of polarized blue mirror Foster Grant sunglasses that were 15 dollars.  They actually look similar to my Costa Del Mar brine sunglasses!

So fast forward another day, and my daughter finds a different pair of blue mirrored Foster Grant sunglasses in the water.  So she was excited to give them to me since she knew I lost mine.  They were a different model than my son’s, and I happily took them to make her happy...thinking, “Eh these can’t hold a candle to my costas which are at least 10 times more expensive, but I’ll use em to make her feel good!”

Needless to say I am shocked...the 15 dollar Foster Grant polarized sunglasses that were pulled from the ocean did not have a single scratch on the lenses, and when I put them on I felt my eyes relax as if they were costas, and they help me see through the water just as well as my lost sunglasses!!!  I was floored!  I have worn the glasses for two days now, and I am hard pressed to say that the more expensive coasta sunglasses are better!

I guess it just goes to show you that expensive does not always mean better, and if anyone needs a pair of new sunglasses, I recommend going to Walmart and picking up a pair of the polarized Foster Grants for 15 bucks!

Vr

Matt

35 2,055
 08-15-2019, 03:25 PM
User Info
Here are some pics!  The first photo shows my son’s Foster Grant sunglasses on the left, my Foster Grants pulled from the ocean in the middle, and my costas with the blue lenses on the right.

The second shows my FG’s on the left and the costas on the right!

Clearly the construction of the costa Del Mar sunglasses is superior...however, performance of the lenses seems to be about equal to me!  

Vr

Matt

[Image: qv7WXbj.jpg][Image: srz2Wbz.jpg]

35 2,055
 08-15-2019, 03:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
What a great story, Matt. Thanks for sharing. Your son and daughter sound like great kids. Clearly, you and their Mom are are doing a great job as parents.

About these blue lenses. What’s the skinny? I’ve been advised by my optometrist to wear yellow or “pink#2” (his words) tinted lenses for night time driving. Lately when driving at night, oncoming headlights and street lights are like giant orbs of glaring brightness. Tbh, I don’t want to drive at night during bad weather. Do the blue lenses offer some special kind of glare reduction?

15 3,884
 08-15-2019, 04:08 PM
User Info
(08-15-2019, 03:43 PM)chazt Wrote: What a great story, Matt. Thanks for sharing. Your son and daughter sound like great kids. Clearly, you and their Mom are are doing a great job as parents.

About these blue lenses. What’s the skinny? I’ve been advised by my optometrist to wear yellow or “pink#2” (his words) tinted lenses for night time driving. Lately when driving at night, oncoming headlights and street lights are like giant orbs of glaring brightness. Tbh, I don’t want to drive at night during bad weather. Do the blue lenses offer some special kind of glare reduction?

Chaz,

Thanks for the compliment! I give my wife all the credit for us having such wonderful kids...all six are fantastic...happy, healthy, and smart!

So the blue costas are better on clear sunny days, and the green mirror lenses are better on overcast/cloudy days.

I am not an eye professional, and nothing special about the blue mirror lenses except I like them and the fire red mirror glasses!

I think the yellow lenses block blue light which enhances constrast in lower light conditions. I love my blueblockers for that reason, and I also wear them a few hours before bed...they help me sleep better by getting rid of that blue light a few hours before I want to hit the hay!

Vr

Matt

35 2,055
 08-17-2019, 12:26 PM
User Info
So I lost my expensive sunglasses on the first day...today is our last day...and as I am walking back to the house from the water earlier, the ocean places a pair of $160 dollar Oakley Straightlink blue mirrored sunglasses at my feet!

I did a double take, and looked around...nobody really noticed, so I called to the two groups of folks near me and asked if the glasses were theirs...everyone replied that they weren’t...so I put them on and enjoyed them the Reston of the day.  They aren’t comfortable and have great performance.  The right lens hasn’t the slightest scratch which does not hinder performance.  I also did some research, and I can get replacement lenses for less than 50 bucks.

A few lessons here:

1.  The ocean taketh and the ocean giveth!

2.  $15 polarized Foster Grant sunglasses from Walmart work every bit as well as $150 Costa Del Mar sunglasses!  I still can’t believe it!

3.  Your luck can change on a dime...I thought I had some rotten luck when I lost my glasses...but then the ocean gave me back two pairs of sweet sunglasses throughout the week!  AMAZING!

Here are the pictures of my new Oakley sunglasses!

Vr

Matt

[Image: cMXN2Tq.jpg][Image: DKYkeyJ.jpg]

35 2,055
 08-17-2019, 02:00 PM
User Info
Wow, it sounds like people there need to start using glasses lanyards.

239 13,908
 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM
User Info
(08-17-2019, 02:00 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Wow, it sounds like people there need to start using glasses lanyards.

Myself included John!

The waves this year have been the biggest since I have been coming to Duck! That probably has something to do with it as well!

Vr

Matt

35 2,055
 08-17-2019, 02:57 PM
User Info
 08-17-2019, 03:21 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great story!

66 5,563
 08-17-2019, 03:46 PM
User Info
(08-17-2019, 03:21 PM)eengler Wrote: Great story!

Thanks Ed!

Vr

Matt

35 2,055