08-18-2019, 01:23 AM
User Info
This may balance on the edge of being off topic, but here we go...

My dear wife (to no one's surprise, I'm sure) have opinions about my after shaves and colognes. Mostly along the lines of "don't wear that when I'm around" but the other day she made a different sort of observation. She concluded that there are many quality fragrances available for men at reasonable prices, while ladies were condemned to smell like the price tag (pay big bucks for big brands or smell cheap). Obviously one does get what one pays for to some degree but clearly she is correct that there are fragrances for men with an outstanding price/performance ratio (I'm thinking of stuff like Floid, Pitralon and Brut, of course, but even artisan scents from LPL or SV does not require a second mortgage).

So I thought I might tap into the collective wisdom of our community (and its wives) and ask: does anyone have brand recommendations for women's fragrances that are good quality but have reasonable prices, i.e. where you pay for the perfume not for the brand? Are there any little-known artisan lady-perfume makers with reasonable prices? 

My wife prefers "feminine but elegant" fragrances so musky or overly spicy ones are out. I'm hoping to score some extra points at the next occasion where presents are expected.

1 382
 08-18-2019, 04:58 AM
User Info
Give 4711 remix colognes a try.
There are quite a few different versions, lavender, orange zest based and others.
Don’t expect something complex. Those I gave a sniff were pleasant.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 308
 08-18-2019, 05:11 AM
User Info
(08-18-2019, 04:58 AM)apogee. Wrote: Give 4711 remix colognes a try.
There are quite a few different versions, lavender, orange zest based and others.
Don’t expect something complex. Those I gave a sniff were pleasant.

Excellent suggestion, thanks.

1 382
 08-18-2019, 05:41 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
on you tube there are many fragrance influencers who review fragrances from niche to cheapies for both men and women. fragrantica is a website that is built on fragrance reviews done by people who have used the frag. they offer links to people and companies selling the frags as well. there are sites that offer decants of frags. for each 1ml you get approx 10 sprays. so 10ml will last about 20 wearings which for some frags is more than enough while other decants will inspire 100ml purchase of an expensive or cheapie perfume that you know and love. certainly in a rotation 10ml could last a while.

0 341
 08-18-2019, 05:44 AM
User Info
(08-18-2019, 05:41 AM)RyznRio Wrote: on you tube there are many fragrance influencers who review fragrances from niche to cheapies for both men and women. fragrantica is a website that is built on fragrance reviews done by people who have used the frag. they offer links to people and companies selling the frags as well. there are sites that offer decants of frags. for each 1ml you get approx 10 sprays. so 10ml will last about 20 wearings which for some frags is more than enough while other decants will inspire 100ml purchase of an expensive or cheapie perfume that you know and love. certainly in a rotation 10ml could last a while.

Fragrance influencers? That's a thing? Shows how much I know.
Thank you, very good tips. I'll check out fragrantica.

1 382
 08-18-2019, 07:20 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(08-18-2019, 05:44 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 05:41 AM)RyznRio Wrote: on you tube there are many fragrance influencers who review fragrances from niche to cheapies for both men and women. fragrantica is a website that is built on fragrance reviews done by people who have used the frag. they offer links to people and companies selling the frags as well. there are sites that offer decants of frags. for each 1ml you get approx 10 sprays. so 10ml will last about 20 wearings which for some frags is more than enough while other decants will inspire 100ml purchase of an expensive or cheapie perfume that you know and love. certainly in a rotation 10ml could last a while.

Fragrance influencers? That's a thing? Shows how much I know.
Thank you, very good tips. I'll check out fragrantica.

the fragrance communities influencers on you tube is much like the wet shaving communities influencers on you tube. they try the products, sometimes gifted, sometimes purchased and give a review. for every category of product (even pallets of returned products) that is available for sale on ebay or amazon, there is a you tube influencer trying to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

0 341
 08-18-2019, 07:38 AM
User Info
Fragrance influencers on YouTube.... never watched them.
Are they just as unbearable as their wet shaving YouTube influencer counterparts?

0 308
 08-18-2019, 09:42 AM
User Info
(08-18-2019, 07:38 AM)apogee. Wrote: Fragrance influencers on YouTube.... never watched them.
Are they just as unbearable as their wet shaving YouTube influencer counterparts?

I don't actually think that all wet shaving youtubers are unbearable. There are some I like. As long as we agree not to call them "influencers".

1 382
 08-18-2019, 04:48 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(08-18-2019, 07:38 AM)apogee. Wrote: Fragrance influencers on YouTube.... never watched them.

unbearable? i think they are hysterical. anyway YMMV

0 341
 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM
User Info
"Feminine yet elegant" - Sounds like you just described classic Guerlain which in my opinion offer the best quality for price. They are not very expensive yet smell utterly divine! L'heure Bleu is my favourite but Mitsouko and Shalimar are equally beautiful for a woman to wear.

0 140
 08-19-2019, 05:07 PM
User Info
(08-19-2019, 04:40 PM)Rohleder Wrote: "Feminine yet elegant" - Sounds like you just described classic Guerlain which in my opinion offer the best quality for price. They are not very expensive yet smell utterly divine! L'heure Bleu is my favourite but Mitsouko and Shalimar are equally beautiful for a woman to wear.

Excellent tip, thank you.

1 382
 08-28-2019, 01:01 AM
User Info
Even though you say musky fragrances are out, Jovan Musk for women is one of my absolute favourite fragrances to sniff on my wife.

And it’s about $12 a bottle.

Give it a try. It’s a marvellous fragrance.

25 6,641
 08-28-2019, 03:06 AM
User Info
(08-28-2019, 01:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Even though you say musky fragrances are out, Jovan Musk for women is one of my absolute favourite fragrances to sniff on my wife.

Good tip, thank you. I shall look it up.
So far I got her an Elisabeth Arden 5th Avenue which she seems to like, but my search for great price/performance wife-scents continue. 

(I've also noted that fragrances are good gifts which makes it easier to slip uncalled for shaving related purchases by her. Not that I would ever dream of keeping anything from my wife, obviously).

1 382
 09-07-2019, 01:03 AM
User Info
(08-28-2019, 01:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Even though you say musky fragrances are out, Jovan Musk for women is one of my absolute favourite fragrances to sniff on my wife.

This was a good tip, Claus, I bought her a bottle and she liked it a lot. Very nice scent, not too musk-y.

1 382
 09-18-2019, 03:07 AM
User Info
I thought I should finish this thread by reporting what I bought for her. Thanks to everyone for the tips. These are the budget priced fragrances that my wife likes (and that I like to smell on her).

Left to right: Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue EdP,  Coty L'aimant EdT, Elizabeth Arden Splendor EdP, Coty Jovan Musk.
(I also have a Versace Woman and Karl Lagerfeld Pour Femme EdP on their way, unfortunately my wife has now gotten used to getting a perfume every Friday and I have no idea how to get out of it).

[Image: vTgKy0t.jpg]

1 382