08-18-2019, 05:32 PM
User Info
Hi we are moving to a new home - and I am honestly overwhelmed by the things we have to take care of - and one of the HVAC systems is old r22 refrigerant system -
So I thought it might be a good idea to pick up the warranty - any opinions?

7 392
 08-18-2019, 05:49 PM
User Info
(08-18-2019, 05:32 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Hi we are moving to a new home - and I am honestly overwhelmed by the things we have to take care of - and one of the HVAC systems is old r22 refrigerant system -
So I thought it might be a good idea to pick up the warranty - any opinions?

I'd be very careful.  You would think it would be smart to warranty an old HVAC system but you really need to read the fine print from he warranty company to see what things might be covered on the system.  It is possible that for an old system, if they make a couple attempts to repair it, they could notify you that the entire system is shot, that they won't pay for anymore repairs and their warranty certainly won't cover a new replacement system.  What your home inspector should do is tell you how much life is left in the system.  If it's so old that there is no life remaining and you'll need to replace it soon, the price you pay for the house should reflect you having to shell out good money immediately.  Maybe not what you wanted to hear but that is how I would handle it.  I've been in real estate for 35 years.  PM me if you like.

2 386