08-23-2019, 01:39 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: V79B4ME.jpg]

I have been indirectly involved with this brush , which is the foroafeitado Vie Long LE 2018 brush sister , but with different hair , in this case the European White badger.

[Image: Zb6q0tf.jpg]

This brush has a 26 mm knot , a 53 mm loft and a total height of 105 mm , making it a medium size brush.

And , as I was pointing out earlier , the badger hair used on this LE brush is the European White from the Meles Meles badgers raised in China , instead of hog badger , which is mostly used to make the two band brushes/knots these days.

[Image: r0MLADq.jpg]

The brush has a very high hair density , reminding me of the old Morris and Forndran blonde badger brushes (circa 2010-2012) , as you can see on this pic :

[Image: 1Ic3WMy.jpg]

I have the advantage that I already have used one of the prototypes of this brush and I already know how it “behaves”...for the die hard face latherers our there this brush is a dream.Soft tips (they even get softer with use) , firm backbone mixed with a good flow/flexibility.
The tips are soft and they’re non bleached , but Vie Long treat the badger hair on a way that it softened it.

It blooms perfectly for me (I’m another die hard face latherers) also reminding me of the old Plisson European White brushes :

[Image: i4pEbmB.jpg]

Perfect to use with triple milled soaps and a lather machine , making larger very fast and easy , with no too much effort and not absorbing the larger like other high density hair brushes.

No matter of you use circular or painting movements , the knot works well with both of then.And if you use it for bowl lathering , the same.

What can I say ? I might be bias since I’m from Spain and been a Vie Long user for a loooong time now , but Vie Long uses some of the best badger hair out there , no matter 3 band or 2 band and this brush , as well as the foroafeitado LE 2018 , is a clear example of that.

And for its price , a total steal , for a brush 100% handmade in Spain by shaving brush artisans.

Spanish pride indeed.

¡ Larga Vida a Vie Long !

93 7,437
 08-23-2019, 08:18 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Incredible review of a quite handsome brush. Your photos pop to life showing the slightest curls in the hair of the knot. 

Over the years I've come to respect your opinion on brushes and your take on this one makes it enticing to say the least, even if you are slightly biased from that part of the globe.

0 579
 08-23-2019, 08:54 PM
User Info
You should see his photos of Utah, pretty fantastic!

36 1,901
 08-24-2019, 02:38 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
There is a newish post from Phil stating that the price of this brush is going up about $20 soon.

15 892
 08-24-2019, 05:10 AM
User Info
Great review of a great brush. I'm glad I got one.

62 1,539
 08-24-2019, 06:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-24-2019, 02:38 AM)Puma Wrote: There is a newish post from Phil stating that the price of this brush is going up about $20 soon.

Yes, the price will increase on August 29th if it is still in stock.

52 21,013
 08-24-2019, 12:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you so much , gentlemen , for your kind words 

I try to take the best pics I can do people can have a better idea of what they could be getting.

And yes , Utah outdoors are stunning

93 7,437
 08-28-2019, 11:42 AM
User Info
I've now used this brush 7 times, and can add my thoughts about it.  My knot measures just over 26mm at the top of the handle, and the loft is 53mm.  The knot has soft tips and firm backbone, without any scritch.  There is no glue bump.   The strong backbone comes from the thickness of the hair fibers and the density of the knot, rather than from a large glue bump.  Glue bumps can interfere with the knot splaying, and not having such a glue bump allows this brush to splay very well without any loss of firmness.  This knot compares favorably with those from any of the other premium brush makers, and represents an excellent value for the price.

[Image: H2DNnPc.jpg]

[Image: 4dlaEKC.jpg]

60 9,536
 09-01-2019, 03:37 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
If anyone is interested there are two of these for sale in the BST right now. They can't have much use on them. One seller says he used it once.

15 892
 09-11-2019, 05:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have been asked if this badger hair is really European badger hair.Well , this hair comes from the Meles Meles species raised in China , so , once again , is a badger born in China with European DNA.

Here is a pic of a Meles Meles pelt , which was raised in China ( a pic we have seen a million times , I think ) :

[Image: pC4DWnZ.jpg]

The "White Badger hair" comes from the area between the HMW and Silvertip and it's a 3 band type of hair , but , of course , looks like 2 band.Also , most of this hair , for what I known , its harvested on winter , when the hair is thicker.This hair is not bleached but Vie Long "process it" with a special treatment.

Also , Vie Long is not the only European maker to get Meles Meles from China.Edwin Jagger and Muhle get it too.Here is a pic from the Edwin Jagger page stating that they made their brushes with Meles Meles.

[Image: gGSONag.jpg]

This brush needs around 15 uses to start shinning , so be patient with it.Remember , this type of hair is not bleached and takes some time to break it in , but once is softened by use , you guys are for a treat.

Hope this clarifies the questions/doubts some of you had regarding the badger hair of this brush.

93 7,437
 09-11-2019, 05:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thater also uses Meles Meles

Attached Files Image(s)

52 21,013
 09-11-2019, 05:54 PM
User Info
I presume all vie long badger brushes only come in bulb and no fan shape?

0 35
 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-11-2019, 05:54 PM)Max Sprecher Wrote: I presume all vie long badger brushes only come in bulb and no fan shape?

No , you can request fan shaped and extra flat too , my friend.

93 7,437
 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-11-2019, 05:54 PM)Max Sprecher Wrote: I presume all vie long badger brushes only come in bulb and no fan shape?

Their traditional knot shape is a bulb (almost hybrid leaning) shape. I’m not sure if they make any true fan knots.

52 21,013
 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM
User Info
(09-11-2019, 06:05 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 05:54 PM)Max Sprecher Wrote: I presume all vie long badger brushes only come in bulb and no fan shape?

That’s very positive. Thanks!

0 35
 09-11-2019, 06:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-11-2019, 06:05 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Nice

52 21,013
 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM
User Info
(09-11-2019, 05:49 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Thater also uses Meles Meles

The hair on the Thater Fun fan is great and the hair on 

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...4080857177

is amazing!

3 331
 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM
User Info
(09-11-2019, 05:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: I have been asked if this badger hair is really European badger hair.Well , this hair comes from the Meles Meles species raised in China , so , once again , is a badger born in China with European DNA.

The "White Badger hair" comes from the area between the HMW and Silvertip and it's a 3 band type of hair , but , of course , looks like 2 band.Also , most of this hair , for what I known , its harvested on winter , when the hair is thicker.This hair is not bleached but Vie Long "process it" with a special treatment.

This brush needs around 15 uses to start shinning , so be patient with it.Remember , this type of hair is not bleached and takes some time to break it in , but once is softened by use , you guys are for a treat.

Hope this clarifies the questions/doubts some of you had regarding the badger hair of this brush.

I've now used this brush 13 times, and the knot continues to show excellent performance.  The knot has relaxed into a nicely shaped bulb, combining firm backbone and scrub with moderately soft tips.  It releases lather surprisingly well for the density it has.  

[Image: rWDaFzW.jpg]
[Image: eSVP7wO.jpg]

60 9,536