08-30-2019, 04:11 PM
User Info
Gents,

I finally got around to using a vintage Schick Plus Platinum blade, and WOW...super sharp...super smooth, and provided BBBS results!

I used the Star Model 100 razor, Carthusia Uomo Shave soap, and Carthusia Uomo balm.

Overall dynamite shave! Post-shave feel among the best.

What sort of longevity do you guys get with these blades?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

35 2,064
 08-30-2019, 05:06 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'm a great fan of the Plus Plats, almost hate to see anyone else get interested in them, as they are getting increasingly more dear.  But, they last longer for me than any modern blades (in either DE or injector format, I use both) with the possible exception of their close contemporaries, the equally legendary Personna 74's.

I don't count usage, it's way too complicated when switching between 4 or 5 blade formats.  But, I did once a while ago run the string on a DE Plus Platinum, which went I think around 15 shaves before I noticed any tugging.  YMMV with beard type (old man wire here) number of passes yada yada .. but to calibrate some a Feather might be ok for 5 shaves on my mug.    In an Injector, it might be even higher, I recall going most of a college term back then with a single Schick blade and the when was when the Plus Plats were offered.

68 665
 08-30-2019, 05:23 PM
User Info
Thanks Gary! Don’t worry...I am not in the market to acquire anymore. I already bought quite a few of these based off of John’s recommendation.

I counted my blades two weeks ago, and if I shave 208 times a year, between my Personna 74s, Wilkinson Light Brigades, Wilkinson London Bridge, Gillette Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, FHS-10s, Polsilvers (brown tuck), and the couple hundred misc Made in England Wilkinson blades...I will not be able to get through them all before my end of days! So I do not think I am going to buy anymore blades.

BTW...the first five blades listed up there are my five favorites now that I used that schick tonight...it was a stunning shave!

Have a great holiday weekend!

Vr

Matt

(08-30-2019, 05:06 PM)garyg Wrote: I'm a great fan of the Plus Plats, almost hate to see anyone else get interested in them, as they are getting increasingly more dear.  But, they last longer for me than any modern blades (in either DE or injector format, I use both) with the possible exception of their close contemporaries, the equally legendary Personna 74's.

I don't count usage, it's way too complicated when switching between 4 or 5 blade formats.  But, I did once a while ago run the string on a DE Plus Platinum, which went I think around 15 shaves before I noticed any tugging.  YMMV with beard type (old man wire here) number of passes yada yada .. but to calibrate some a Feather might be ok for 5 shaves on my mug.    In an Injector, it might be even higher, I recall going most of a college term back then with a single Schick blade and the when was when the Plus Plats were offered.

35 2,064
 08-30-2019, 11:17 PM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
I get about 10 shaves with this blade.

They are great blades, Ollie.  Enjoy!

1 223
 08-31-2019, 03:59 AM
User Info
So I am hearing between 10-15...that’s great for me! I shaved at 7:30 last night, and it’s 7:59 in the morning right now...face feels a amazing....just the slightest slightest hint of stubble, barely noticeable at all!

The first shave was sublime, and I have nothing but praise for the shave/blade!

I hadn’t used Carthusia Uomo in many months, and it is a wonderful shave soap! The ridiculously priced olive wood bowl they sell is also beautiful and perfect.

I bought my used, but in dead mint condition, and overall I am happy that I did. It is not often that we can buy something and think...”This thing is complete perfection!”

Vr

Matt

35 2,064
 08-31-2019, 10:37 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
All I use are vintage  blades  and these are one of them. They, and most of my different blades,  are second for me only to Personna 74s and Wilkinson Light Brigades.  I get 10 - 12 shaves with them.

8 2,717
 08-31-2019, 12:56 PM
User Info
I toss the Plus Platinums after 12 shaves, mainly because that's how high my counting dice go.  I could get a few more reasonable shaves from one, but they definitely don't last as long for me as the P74s and Light Brigades.

239 13,915