09-01-2019, 06:24 PM
User Info
Gents,

Has anyone owned/used a Wade & Butcher from 1830-1837 with a marking like this?  I just bought one, and was curious about how the quality is on these blades?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

[Image: h0SvdJy.jpg]

36 2,326
 09-02-2019, 03:54 AM
User Info
Another question along these lines, is there an era within the Wade & Butcher history that saw the best blades produced (best/most consistent quality control, ability to take/keep an edge, etc)?

I know folks say that the men making razors could be making a straight razor for one brand such as W&B one day, and then another like Mappin & Webb the next day. Is that truth or straight razor lore?

Is the ground truth lost to time?

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 09-02-2019, 06:46 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Matt you are on quite a roll with your razor acquisitions.  Clap

I can not answer your question, but have never read a bad review of a W&B straight razor. 

I will be following this thread. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can chime in.

109 2,189
 09-02-2019, 09:05 AM
User Info
(09-02-2019, 06:46 AM)Gabe Wrote: Matt you are on quite a roll with your razor acquisitions.  Clap

I can not answer your question, but have never read a bad review of a W&B straight razor. 

I will be following this thread. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can chime in.

Ha!  Thanks my friend!  I have been on a roll lately...just finding great straights at great prices...string of luck!

However, it’s a short walk from the palace to the outhouse.  I will be more targeted as my collection expands this time.  The big chopper and Dubl Duck were two razors that I had wanted, but never saw a good price for what I was looking for, until just recently.

The one in the picture above just sort of fell into my lap as I was browsing eBay.  I think I caught the collectors sleeping on that one for the price I paid!  Here is another picture, and they are bone scales.

[Image: 2PwiiGE.jpg]

I was stepping away from straights, sold a few, realized how foolish that was, and decided to get back into it!  

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 09-02-2019, 11:41 AM
User Info
Matt,

The crown and the royal cypher "WR," for King William IV who reigned from 1830-1837. The "R" is for Rex, Latin for king. it's been restored the bone scales look original, nice acquisition.

17 2,179
 09-02-2019, 12:14 PM
User Info
(09-02-2019, 11:41 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Matt,

The crown and the royal cypher "WR," for King William IV who reigned from 1830-1837. The "R" is for Rex, Latin for king. it's been restored the bone scales look original, nice acquisition.

Thanks Jamie! I was wondering what the “R” stood for, and I would have never guessed Rex!

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326