09-21-2012, 04:58 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I bought a russian slim clone at ebay. The russian vendor must have stocked up a lot of these because he´s been selling them for a while. They are supposely Nos and after seen mine i dont disagree.

Received it yesterday after nearly a months shipment. The seller did send it quick i believe. I think just a day after buing it according to the hard to read poststamps. But Somehow it got stuck somewhere maybe in custom. Huh Not his fault though.

The cartoon contained the razor in a little plastic box and a thin booklet. Now i dont understand russian but theres (quality control i think) stamps that looks like jul 2001. So its supposly more than 10 years old. Long after Gillette stoped with the Super adjustable.

Edit: Not to forget. 7 different russian blades to try out.

The plastic box with a red transparent lid contained the razor. It looks kind like a combination of a Slim and Superadjusttable with plastic bottom. Metal could be some aluminium maybe. Its quite light 57 gr, as i understand like a plastic bottom superadj.

Now i´ve red that the russian razor makers of those Gillette clones didnt care much about smoothness then it comes to internal mechnical operations but still buildt them to last. If that is correct, this razor follow that philosophy. Not that smooth like my slim but it works and seems to be a robust construction. And the razorblade seems to be aligned the right way.

Shaved today morning with a Voskhod blade. I´ve red at some forum that they are known to be quite sharp so i set the razor on a low number 4. 2 wth and 1 atg and i got a really smooth shave. Didnt feel much of the blade at all actually. I can get a little bit closer tommorow with a higher number i gues, but i can already say that this razor seems to be quite good.

I took some pictures using my old Ddr made Pentacon 50 lens and a Canon 300d.
Eastern theme and all. :-D
But after removing battery and card from my camera i realised i´ve forgoten a picture of the cartoon and the manual. So that is a cell phone picture in low light. Excuse the quality.

[Image: 20QcJ.jpg]

[Image: scXdd.jpg]

[Image: 5R9Vc.jpg]

[Image: dbVyF.jpg]

[Image: 8q0Sk.jpg]

0 284
 09-21-2012, 05:32 AM
User Info
Johan, thanks for the review.

75 20,883
 09-21-2012, 05:50 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Very nice find. Congratulations and enjoy it.

100 12,445
 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
If you need help getting it translated, scan and PM me. Enjoy it!

88 4,233
 09-21-2012, 08:23 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Very interesting. Having grown up for the first fifteen years of my life in Soviet Union (that's a TIME as well as SPACE), I would never buy anything mechanical made in Russia. However, some things did manage to come out well, if not very refined in fit and finish. Living in US allows me to buy vintage Gillettes as much as I want and I have a few of them and love them. They are the very opposite of the Soviet/Russian manufacturing philosophy. They are robust, smooth, beautiful and hardy as most of my vintage Gillettes are way older than I am (and I am not that young) and work perfectly. Having said all that, I would not refuse to try one of these things if I didn't have to go out of my way and it was cheap or free. It is a curious item. I hope you enjoy it and it provides good service and conversation piece.

25 1,705
 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Thank you all for your comments.

@Beartrap. Thank you for your offer and ive sent you a pm with photos of page 1 and 2. If you have the time. Really apreciate it" :-)

@Vferdman. I cant imagine how it was to grow up in Ussr. I remember swedish military and a some politians strongly belived the "dangerous" russian empire would invade Sweden sooner or later. I dont really know why they thought that. Little Sweden??? Maybe as a transit to reach Nato and Norway? Huh

And i dont know much about these clones at all, although i bought a ussr superspeed copy some time ago that didnt have the worlds most straight buildup in its construction. Lets say i dont think the person responsable for quality control that day, was sober. ;-)

This razor seems nice though and i think it will be in my rotation for a while now.

But theres one man made thing from russia i really know and respect. Lenses!
I have some russian lenses like the Helios-44 or industar-50 pancake. Both are incredible sharp in the right circumstances and ive gotten some great garden photos with a Helios-44 this spring.

0 284
 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-21-2012, 08:23 AM)vferdman Wrote: Very interesting. Having grown up for the first fifteen years of my life in Soviet Union (that's a TIME as well as SPACE), I would never buy anything mechanical made in Russia. However, some things did manage to come out well, if not very refined in fit and finish. Living in US allows me to buy vintage Gillettes as much as I want and I have a few of them and love them. They are the very opposite of the Soviet/Russian manufacturing philosophy. They are robust, smooth, beautiful and hardy as most of my vintage Gillettes are way older than I am (and I am not that young) and work perfectly. Having said all that, I would not refuse to try one of these things if I didn't have to go out of my way and it was cheap or free. It is a curious item. I hope you enjoy it and it provides good service and conversation piece.

I would have to politely disagree. Yes, many thing manufactured there are crap, but some are still made to last you 3 lifetimes. I would not hesitate to buy anything mechanical.
Imagine vintage gillettes made today, this is still done in Russia today. Ironic thing is, most Russians would buy cheap, Chinese made products, with "Made in ...anywhere" label Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
A few of these have surfaced on TSR (UK shaving forum) and the general opinion seems to be that they are built like a brick outhouse. But the quality of the finnish, paint and the mechanics are quite crude. But they are comparing them to Gillette Slims which if you consider when they were made and what they cost at the time against what these cost they are not a bad buy.
They all seem to be from the same batch as well.
Be interested to see how it performs long term Johan?

3 198
 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
(09-21-2012, 12:42 PM)missingskin Wrote: A few of these have surfaced on TSR (UK shaving forum) and the general opinion seems to be that they are built like a brick outhouse. But the quality of the finnish, paint and the mechanics are quite crude. But they are comparing them to Gillette Slims which if you consider when they were made and what they cost at the time against what these cost they are not a bad buy.

I have to read a bit on TSR then. Thanks for letting me know.
I´ll post about it if breaks, sure. If thats what you mean. ;-)

0 284
 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
User Info
(09-21-2012, 01:00 PM)Johan Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 12:42 PM)missingskin Wrote: A few of these have surfaced on TSR (UK shaving forum) and the general opinion seems to be that they are built like a brick outhouse. But the quality of the finnish, paint and the mechanics are quite crude. But they are comparing them to Gillette Slims which if you consider when they were made and what they cost at the time against what these cost they are not a bad buy.

I was one of the guys that posted on that thread on TSR - I've bought that very same razor Smile

The razor is well built - that is saying, it looks solid and robust. Of course the finishing doesn't look as good as the Slims and Super Adjustables, and the mechanism is not as smooth.

But it works extremely well. It is also extremely mild razor - I had to dial it up to the highest settings (7 or 9) to get a close shave from it! Overall, a nice shaver at a good price, no doubt about it.

2 5,532
 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
(09-21-2012, 02:27 PM)oversaturn Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 01:00 PM)Johan Wrote:

I was one of the guys that posted on that thread on TSR - I've bought that very same razor Smile

The razor is well built - that is saying, it looks solid and robust. Of course the finishing doesn't look as good as the Slims and Super Adjustables, and the mechanism is not as smooth.

But it works extremely well. It is also extremely mild razor - I had to dial it up to the highest settings (7 or 9) to get a close shave from it! Overall, a nice shaver at a good price, no doubt about it.

Thats sounds great. Have to read that thread tommorow. And glad that you enjoy your razor. I will dial it up myself before next shave.

Btw, i´m really looking forward to test all those russian blades he included. Late here. Goodnight! :-)

0 284
 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
Well then these versions must be set up differently than the one I have because the gaps were much larger than the Gillette razors and I have to keep mine low.

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-rise-of-...ssian-bear

1 2,827
 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
User Info
Oh, and the word "идеал" that appears on the box, translates to "Ideal".

It's the "Ideal" safety-razor! Smile

2 5,532
 09-22-2012, 12:05 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
(09-21-2012, 03:00 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Well then these versions must be set up differently than the one I have because the gaps were much larger than the Gillette razors and I have to keep mine low.

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-rise-of-...ssian-bear

Great review, i have read it before. Just didnt remember where.
So there seems to been atleast 2 different makers of adjustable razors in the area that once was Ussr.

(09-21-2012, 03:20 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Oh, and the word "идеал" that appears on the box, translates to "Ideal".

It's the "Ideal" safety-razor! Smile

Yeah, wouldnt want people to see it as the "inferior clone" safety razor. Would they. :-D

Edit: Btw i´m starting to really like this razor. I just shaved with it dialed to 5 and it provided me with a close smooth shave. But i know the blade probably have a thing or two in it to. I have a feeling i´ll stock up on some Voskhods teflon blades, sooner or later.

0 284
 09-22-2012, 06:26 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Voskhods are really good blades, beats the other 4 big Russian brands, and at that price point, can't ask for more.

88 4,233
 09-22-2012, 07:45 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Btw. If you search for one of these at ebay, be aware that these can be bought for 25 usd. I´ve now seen a seller that tries to take the double for the same razor. Rolleyes

0 284
 09-22-2012, 07:47 AM
User Info
Johan,

Glad that you finally received your Russian razor - a long wait.Smile

Interesting story about Swedish political opinion during the cold war!

3 452
 09-22-2012, 09:06 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Thanks Redrako! Yes it was a certainly long wait but worth it. :-)

Well about the views then. I might add that there where also some politicians and people on the far left (and for a american, very far left of the democrats) that believed that Soviet was the ideal society and place to live and the Usa was the big bad boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_S-363

Heres the true story about the Soviet whiskey class submarine s-363. (ako U137, swedish designation back then) It run aground on a underwater rock inside swedish territorial waters not that far from a naval base. And became one of the most serious incidents that ever had happened between Soviet and Sweden. In media it was quickly known as "Whiskey on the rocks".

0 284
 10-07-2012, 02:48 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Got a harsh shave yesterday with my Cadet oc and a Rapira ss. Clearly not the best combination. So today i changed to my Ideal adj but the same blade.

Now this is a combination that works perfect. With the razor on 8 i ended up with a close and very smooth shave. At that number i think its similar to a Slim on 6 then it comes to agressivness.

So I´m very glad that i bought this razor! Thumbsup

0 284
 10-07-2012, 05:04 AM
User Info
(10-07-2012, 02:48 AM)Johan Wrote: Got a harsh shave yesterday with my Cadet oc and a Rapira ss. Clearly not the best combination. So today i changed to my Ideal adj but the same blade.

Now this is a combination that works perfect. With the razor on 8 i ended up with a close and very smooth shave. At that number i think its similar to a Slim on 6 then it comes to agressivness.

So I´m very glad that i bought this razor! Thumbsup

Glad that you dialed it in. As I recall the Rapira Stainless didn't work very well in the Cadet TP-26 either. The Voskhod, a smoother blade for me, worked very well.

I liked your 'Whiskey on the Rocks' story, a good humorous story about a serious occurence.

3 452