09-07-2019, 03:14 PM
User Info
8 of these little guys were in my garage yesterday!  I caught five of em, but I am not as fast as I used to be...pic was taken before I caught the 5th one who didn’t dart out...he was hiding!

The wife cleaned out the entire garage today...what a mess it was...no snake nest, so the nest might be under our side walk out front which is very near our garage.

Vr

Matt

[Image: VKeNnfQ.jpg]

36 2,326
 09-07-2019, 03:15 PM
User Info
So... what are they? All I can say is that they don't like like slowworms, nor like Scandinavian vipers Tongue

3 7,178
 09-07-2019, 04:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 09-07-2019, 05:22 PM
User Info
(09-07-2019, 03:15 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: So... what are they? All I can say is that they don't like like slowworms, nor like Scandinavian vipers Tongue

Northern Ring-Neck snake...completely harmless, but fast!  They were good little chaps, and my kids thought they were pretty awesome!  The wife...not so much!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 09-07-2019, 05:36 PM
User Info
Never seen a ring neck snake before - but then we only have one kind of snake in Norway. I can sympathise with the kids though... we have a trio of young slowworms living in a terrarium in the living room, and while they are not snakes (they are legless lizards), they are quite interesting to watch.

3 7,178
 09-07-2019, 07:00 PM
User Info
I think we call legless lizards "skinks", but of course I've been wrong before.

We're fortunate in Maine... no venomous snakes. That doesn't convince my wife that any snakes she sees are beneficial though.

32 6,603
 09-07-2019, 07:17 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
a snake hatch is pretty crazy. Seems like the entire room is in motion.

0 599
 09-17-2019, 03:35 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I grew up in Southern Africa and we had snakes galore of all stripes. Generally they’ll leave you alone if you leave them alone, but I gave them a wide berth and a very healthy respect.

9 1,152
 09-17-2019, 05:34 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I think my wife would make us move if she found snakes in our garage.

39 6,293
 09-17-2019, 10:16 AM
User Info
(09-17-2019, 05:34 AM)evnpar Wrote: I think my wife would make us move if she found snakes in our garage.

Bahaha! It was close!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 09-17-2019, 01:33 PM
User Info
Harmless snakes are cool.  As a kid I used to capture garter snakes.  Once when I was camping in the Adirondacks I caught one and decided to bring it home.  I had a glass gerbil cage so I set it up in there with lots of grass and a large stick for climbing, etc.  I then proceeded to go on another camping trip with friends.  When I came home I found the glass cage outside on the patio table and it was partially filled with water, probably due to the rain.  Several small baby snakes were clinging to the side of the cage.  My mother explained that while I was away, the cleaning ladies went into my room to clean and the snake had given birth.  Baby Snakes everywhere.  My parents were not happy.  And my dad said that our neighbors were asking him if he had seen lots of little snakes lately.  He never told me how he answered them.  In hind sight I realize that what I did was pretty stupid.  First of all, those babies probably would have had a far better shot at survival back where I found it.  Also, while garters are found everywhere, I could have without knowing it transported a new species to Long Island.  That would have been bad.  Of course, I was about 17 back then.  It was sort of ironic since one of my favorite tunes is:

2 390
 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Zappa was a laugh riot and a killer guitarist.

16 4,318
 09-17-2019, 08:29 PM
User Info
(09-17-2019, 01:52 PM)chazt Wrote: Zappa was a laugh riot and a killer guitarist.

Yeah.  And I seem to appreciate him more and more the older I get.  He went way too young.  When I was in my late teens my mother once asked me if I thought I would still be listening to Frank Zappa when I'm 40.  On my 40th birthday I proceeded to remind her of her question and I confirmed that I absolutely do still listen to Zappa.  And I think I've continued to reminder her every birthday since.  That would be the last 17 years.

2 390
 09-19-2019, 04:33 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
According to a BBC documentary someone dies every 5 minutes from snakebite. To deal with this a team in Kenya, the snakebite squad, is using motorbike ambulances to rush a victim to hospital for treatment. As I said earlier, I grew up in Southern Africa and came across my fair share of poisons snakes when I was in the bush. Although I was never bitten, several of my friends were and it’s not a pleasant sight; although they were quite ill for several days none died.

9 1,152