09-15-2019, 12:28 PM
User Info
I am new to The Shave Nook and have read a few posts the some called shaving a hobby. I can understand that some consider it a hobby when simple shaving has turned to collecting. My personal opinion is that DE/SE/SR shaving is a daily necessity that I've enjoyed  for nearly 60 years and never heard anyone call it a hobby. Maybe I should also call my razor collection a hobby. I maybe having one of those senior moments. Smile

0 10
 09-15-2019, 01:18 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN! I like to think of shaving as a hobby when I have more than I need, but short of being a collector. E.G., I really only need one or two soaps - yet I have a drawer full. I have 8 brushes, and as many aftershaves. I use everything I have - but have more than I need. The dictionary definition is interesting:

Hobbyist: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation

36 1,923
 09-15-2019, 01:30 PM
User Info
mike_the_kraken ' Wrote: The dictionary definition is interesting:

Therefore, it's a hobby for most of us!

0 244
 09-15-2019, 03:15 PM
User Info
It’s because some of us spend an inordinate amount of time and money pursuing shaving hardware and software. Look at some of the pictures of shave dens and there is no way anyone could consider the collections as anything approaching a necessity.

2 370
 09-15-2019, 03:19 PM
User Info
(09-15-2019, 01:30 PM)ImJustMe Wrote:
mike_the_kraken Wrote: The dictionary definition is interesting:

Therefore, it's a hobby for most of us!

I guess then, I am a hobbyist
About the only item I have a collection of is my 55 razors, mostly vintage , Soaps are only 3, Cella (kilo) Arko ( bowl pressed) and Williams/Dove mix

0 10
 09-15-2019, 03:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-15-2019, 12:28 PM)Tallships Wrote: I am new to The Shave Nook and have read a few posts the some called shaving a hobby. I can understand that some consider it a hobby when simple shaving has turned to collecting. My personal opinion is that DE/SE/SR shaving is a daily necessity that I've enjoyed  for nearly 60 years and never heard anyone call it a hobby. Maybe I should also call my razor collection a hobby. I maybe having one of those senior moments. Smile

Welcome to TSN. It’s great that a mindless, necessary chore can reach hobby status. At least for me it’s been that way. I’ve been shaving for 46 years, but have only enjoyed it for the last five. Hanging out here helps! See you on the forum Smile

15 3,795
 09-15-2019, 03:56 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
As a word, hobby has positive connotations.  Easier to spend money on a hobby and not explain to others the logic of spending $400 on a titanium blade holder.

17 858
 09-15-2019, 05:17 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I agree it's nice calling a daily routine a hobby. It justifies the money I spend on the needs I have for relaxation and soothing comforts.

I have several hobbies all intended to help me stay calm when something from any one of them faces a backorder.

0 587
 09-15-2019, 05:32 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Welcome Tallships - I've only been shaving since 1963 or so ..

I've not thought of shaving as a hobby, but compared to some of my former ones, like Mustangs, .45's, or golf, or even cigars its relatively benign.  But I do enjoy the shaving forums.  And me sons have commented about me having too many razors, wait til they get to clean out those 4 or 5 drawers full ..

68 662
 09-15-2019, 07:26 PM
User Info
(09-15-2019, 03:15 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: It’s because some of us spend an inordinate amount of time and money pursuing shaving hardware and software. Look at some of the pictures of shave dens and there is no way anyone could consider the collections as anything approaching a necessity.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

0 56
 09-15-2019, 08:22 PM
User Info
(09-15-2019, 01:18 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The dictionary definition is interesting:

And there is all the answer most of us need - and justification for buying razors, brushes and all the other fun things we 'need' to enjoy our hobby more Wink

3 6,716
 09-16-2019, 03:28 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It's far from just a daily routine for us here.

60 2,627
 09-16-2019, 04:47 AM
User Info
I think that as long as you always have the possibility to shave quickly and comfortably with a cartridge razor and you prefer to use a DE, SE or cut-throat despite the fact that it needs a quite never ending learning curve, wet shaving can be seen as a hobby. Of course, some of us just can't shave comfortably with a cartridge razor for different different reasons. For them, wet shaving might be something else even if they suffer from RAD. IMO, the difference lies in the intention and in the possibility of a choice.

Some of my friends recently discovered the pleasure of shaving with a DE. They all spend a lot of time talking with passion about their new way of shaving, just as if they were talking about any of their other hobbies. And, of course, they buy lots of razors and shaving gears.

For me, as a retired man, shaving is scarcely really needed. Nonetheless, I shave everyday. It is a real pleasure for which I spend some time planning the next shave, choosing the right razor, the right blade, and so on. So, as I spend more time than needed to simply cut my stubbles, I consider shaving to be some kind of hobby which it was not during my working years.

(I hope you'll forgive my broken English...?)

0 4
 09-16-2019, 05:03 AM
User Info
I can't disagree with anything written and have nothing to add.

Bourboute31, your English is better than that written by folks who have used it their entire lives.

32 6,584
 09-16-2019, 06:13 AM
User Info
Thank you ShadowsDad. It was my first post in English.

0 4
 09-16-2019, 07:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-16-2019, 04:47 AM)Bourboute31 Wrote: I think that as long as you always have the possibility to shave quickly and comfortably with a cartridge razor and you prefer to use a DE, SE or cut-throat despite the fact that it needs a quite never ending learning curve, wet shaving can be seen as a hobby. Of course, some of us just can't shave comfortably with a cartridge razor for different different reasons. For them, wet shaving might be something else even if they suffer from RAD. IMO, the difference lies in the intention and in the possibility of a choice.

Some of my friends recently discovered the pleasure of shaving with a DE. They all spend a lot of time talking with passion about their new way of shaving, just as if they were talking about any of their other hobbies. And, of course, they buy lots of razors and shaving gears.

For me, as a retired man, shaving is scarcely really needed. Nonetheless, I shave everyday. It is a real pleasure for which I spend some time planning the next shave, choosing the right razor, the right blade, and so on. So, as I spend more time than needed to simply cut my stubbles, I consider shaving to be some kind of hobby which it was not during my working years.

(I hope you'll forgive my broken English...?)

A wonderful post, Sir. Your use of written English is excellent.

15 3,795
 09-16-2019, 04:47 PM
User Info
Traditional wet-shaving has caused me to enjoy the very act of shaving, as well as the prep.  I take pleasure in taking the time to decide what gear to use.  I'm also retired and don't have to shave every day, but I do so as much as I can.  Before I learned to shave the way I do, shaving (cartridge with canned goo) was a chore.  Something I didn't care for that I had to do anyway.

0 109
 09-16-2019, 05:05 PM
User Info
I originally started wet shaving after seeing the cost of cartridges and remembering the barbershop my father used to go to. Then it became a lot of fun, I started buying stuff and I look forward to it every day (or night).

0 63
 09-17-2019, 02:18 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(09-15-2019, 03:15 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: It’s because some of us spend an inordinate amount of time and money pursuing shaving hardware and software.  Look at some of the pictures of shave dens and there is no way anyone could consider the collections as anything approaching a necessity.

This

8 2,693
 09-17-2019, 06:04 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
It's a hobby when:
  • Your wife asks why you need more than one brush, razor, and soap to be able to shave. 
  • You have more soaps than you can ever use up in your lifetime.
  • You start calling your razors or brushes a "collection."
  • You understand the meaning of RAD, WTG, BBS, SWMBO, 3T's, and NOS.
  • You convince yourself that your new razor or brush is a good investment. 
  • Your obsessed with trying to find the perfect razor, blade, brush or soap that will give you a perfect shave. 
  • You watch videos of other men shaving. 
  • You day is ruined when your new acquisition didn't arrive in the mail. 
  • You start calling your daily shave your "Zen moment."

38 6,099