09-17-2019, 06:24 AM
User Info
(09-17-2019, 06:04 AM)evnpar Wrote: It's a hobby when:

• Your wife asks why you need more than one brush, razor, and soap to be able to shave. 
  • You have more soaps than you can ever use up in your lifetime.
  • You start calling your razors or brushes a "collection."
  • You understand the meaning of RAD, WTG, BBS, SWMBO, 3T's, and NOS.
  • You convince yourself that your new razor or brush is a good investment. 
  • Your obsessed with trying to find the perfect razor, blade, brush or soap that will give you a perfect shave. 
  • You watch videos of other men shaving. 
  • You day is ruined when your new acquisition didn't arrive in the mail. 
  • You start calling your daily shave your "Zen moment."

I got a very understanding wife, I know I wont recoup costs, and I prefer to read instead of watch.... but yeah; it's a hobby Tongue

3 6,609
 09-17-2019, 07:58 AM
User Info
Welcome to the forum.
I can only echo what the others have said, in my view it's a hobby when you start to wish that you could shave more than once per day without feeling silly.

"Necessity" describes how I used to shave before I discovered traditional wet shaving: reluctantly and as seldom as possible. Now it's a "spa moment" that brightens my day.

1 382
 09-17-2019, 04:02 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I never thought of shaving as a hobby even though I enjoy it. The arguments for it being a hobby have convinced me.

3 697
 09-17-2019, 05:00 PM
User Info

• Your wife asks why you need more than one brush, razor, and soap to be able to shave. 
  • Your obsessed with trying to find the perfect razor, blade, brush or soap that will give you a perfect shave. 
I'm guilty of a few.
 Wife did ask me how many razors do I need to shave, I said do you prefer me to go back to collecting Chromatic Harmonicas at over $200 each
I do call it a collection
I know what RAD is
 Zen Moment is called "Me Time"
 I will say though , I was a ONE razor, soap etc. man befor I joined these Shave Forums, but maybe thats a good thing.

0 7
 09-22-2019, 10:56 AM
User Info

All of this

When you have more than what your local store stocks. Then you start to seek out shaving supplies and finding different ways to shave. Shaving is more to you than something you have to do for few minutes.

8 171
 09-25-2019, 10:02 PM
User Info
Collecting new hardware and software, that makes it a hobby!
I track shaves, that definitely makes it a hobby!
Paying close attention to it and trying different variables for the best shave, that makes it a hobby and not routine!
You (We) are spending time discussing it on the internet, that makes it a hobby!

6 1,088
 09-29-2019, 07:34 AM
User Info
I consider it meditation and a daily stress reliever. Justifies all the $$$ ive spent

1 15
 09-29-2019, 06:28 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
When it stops being a chore, then it’s a hobby that you can spend as much money as you want to attain inner peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 77
 10-05-2019, 11:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-29-2019, 06:28 PM)tave Wrote: When it stops being a chore, then it’s a hobby that you can spend as much money as you want to attain inner peace.

Love your sig line!

15 3,687
 10-10-2019, 06:24 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(09-15-2019, 08:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 01:18 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The dictionary definition is interesting:

Hobbyist: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation

And there is all the answer most of us need - and justification for buying razors, brushes and all the other fun things we 'need' to enjoy our hobby more Wink

Rest and relaxation are needed simply to get away from the world and re-charge.  We just need to be careful not to make it an obsession.  (Yes, I know I could be shooting myself in the foot for saying that you know what they say about honesty.   Angel )

4 885
 10-10-2019, 05:54 PM
User Info
When I was working, shaving was a necessary thing to do before going to work. Now that I’m retired, it’s a relaxing 30 minute start of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 2
 10-12-2019, 03:17 AM
User Info

Bahahahah! I don’t really have anything to add to this!

Vr

Matt

32 1,692
 10-13-2019, 05:20 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I find it to be more rabbit hole than hobby. although exploring caves is what some folks call a hobby. I prefer my shave den.

Hi my name is Enrico,  Facepalm I started shaving in March 2019. It was only an experiment to get a better trim of my 20 year old full beard and 48 year old mustache (both since removed to give me more time shaving) but I now own 12 razors with another on the way, about as many soaps, 5 brushes, a few hundred blades, 6 splashes and at least as many balms. I would own more but the list of unobtanium is long as many gents have backups of backups of razors, blades, brushes, soaps, balms, splashes...  that I lust for, but those items will never see the light of day, and I will only see those items by the light of my computer screen when a gent proudly displays his collection in this forum.

call it what you will but excuse me gents its time for my Sunday morning shave. BBS gents BBS.

0 341