09-18-2019, 07:28 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Denver, Colorado
User Info
So my wife and I went to an estate auction the other day and won a few boxes of stuff (you were allowed to preview ahead of time) and one box had a shaving mug with an unopened puck of Old Spice shave soap. I won the whole box for like $5, felt good about it. Got it home and unwrapped it to shave with it and underneath the puck was a small puck of some kind of soap that was made for guests of the Hotel Del Coronado. I smelled it and it smelled just like Old Spice shaving soap. Unwrapped it and lathered it up - holy smokes! It lathers maybe even more densely and slickly than my vintage puck of OS.

Has anyone else ran across these complimentary, vintage small pucks of shave soap that apparently were once included in hotel rooms?

Pretty cool!

*** don’t ask me about the 5 boxes (total of 75 mugs) of occupational shaving mugs that went for only $250. ?

105 1,732
 09-18-2019, 07:33 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Denver, Colorado
User Info
(09-18-2019, 07:28 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: So my wife and I went to an estate auction the other day and won a few boxes of stuff (you were allowed to preview ahead of time) and one box had a shaving mug with an unopened puck of Old Spice shave soap.  I won the whole box for like $5, felt good about it.   Got it home and unwrapped it to shave with it and underneath the puck was a small puck of some kind of soap that was made for guests of the Hotel Del Coronado.  I smelled it and it smelled just like Old Spice shaving soap.  Unwrapped it and lathered it up - holy smokes!  It lathers maybe even more densely and slickly than my vintage puck of OS.  

Has anyone else ran across these complimentary, vintage small pucks of shave soap that apparently were once included in hotel rooms?  

Pretty cool!

*** don’t ask me about the 5 boxes (total of 75 mugs) of occupational shaving mugs that went for only $250. ?

Picture ...

[Image: V1gbpxp.jpg]

105 1,732
 09-18-2019, 09:06 AM
User Info
BIG congrats! Vintage Old Spice is a FANTASTIC shave soap!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 09-18-2019, 09:48 AM
User Info
(09-18-2019, 07:28 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: So my wife and I went to an estate auction the other day and won a few boxes of stuff (you were allowed to preview ahead of time) and one box had a shaving mug with an unopened puck of Old Spice shave soap. I won the whole box for like $5, felt good about it. Got it home and unwrapped it to shave with it and underneath the puck was a small puck of some kind of soap that was made for guests of the Hotel Del Coronado. I smelled it and it smelled just like Old Spice shaving soap. Unwrapped it and lathered it up - holy smokes! It lathers maybe even more densely and slickly than my vintage puck of OS.

Pretty cool!

Those aren’t just any hotel rooms! Hotel Del Coronado is a luxury landmark here in San Diego! They changed owners in the 90s and lost them, but prior to that they had earned 5 stars, those aren’t just handed out to anyone!

13 635
 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM
User Info
Very cool grab, and agreed with @vigilantesd above, the Del is such a neat spot. Have some very fond memories there from my time in SD.

8 181
 09-19-2019, 07:02 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I stayed there a couple of times in the 60's and remember enjoying their shave soap, and other bathroom products. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough about it to take a guess at who might have made it for them. While growing up, I enjoyed watching my grandfather shave with Old Spice, and I used Old Spice almost exclusively for nearly 50 years. I still have a few pucks tucked away, and still enjoy using it now and then.

38 6,052
 09-19-2019, 09:12 AM
User Info
(09-18-2019, 09:48 AM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 07:28 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: So my wife and I went to an estate auction the other day and won a few boxes of stuff (you were allowed to preview ahead of time) and one box had a shaving mug with an unopened puck of Old Spice shave soap.  I won the whole box for like $5, felt good about it.   Got it home and unwrapped it to shave with it and underneath the puck was a small puck of some kind of soap that was made for guests of the Hotel Del Coronado.  I smelled it and it smelled just like Old Spice shaving soap.  Unwrapped it and lathered it up - holy smokes!  It lathers maybe even more densely and slickly than my vintage puck of OS.  

Pretty cool!

Those aren’t just any hotel rooms! Hotel Del Coronado is a luxury landmark here in San Diego! They changed owners in the 90s and lost them, but prior to that they had earned 5 stars, those aren’t just handed out to anyone!

I worked at the El Cortez hotel in the snack shop on the street in 1964

80 1,469
 09-19-2019, 10:34 AM
User Info
(09-19-2019, 09:12 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 09:48 AM)vigilantesd Wrote:

Pretty cool!

I worked at the El Cortez hotel in the snack shop on the street in 1964

Nice! Not sure the last time you’ve seen it, but it’s been completely renovated. I believe it’s condos now, but they’ve revived the ‘El Cortez’ sign. They still hold small events too, weddings and the like. There’s a small display cabinet dedicated to the history of the hotel, with artifacts from the very first San Diego ComiCon (a MASSIVE event for the city these days) and various other events. The whole area is surrounded by high end condos now, and I think two smaller hotels.

13 635
 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM
User Info
Gents,

I was inspired by this thread, and went with an old school Shave this morning!

Razor: 1941 golden Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Fresh Wilkinson Light Brigade
Soap: Old Spice in the mug
Aftershave: Gillette Sun Up
Cologne: Gillette Sun up

It was fantastic!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 09-19-2019, 01:04 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Denver, Colorado
User Info
(09-19-2019, 11:59 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Gents,

I was inspired by this thread, and went with an old school Shave this morning!

Razor: 1941 golden Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Fresh Wilkinson Light Brigade
Soap: Old Spice in the mug
Aftershave: Gillette Sun Up
Cologne: Gillette Sun up

It was fantastic!

Vr

Matt

Love it!!!

105 1,732