09-19-2019, 02:16 AM
User Info
I could use some advice.
I want to replace two decals on two of my Simpson shave brushes. (Thanks to @CanuckShaver for his generosity).
One brush needs to have to old, half-worn decal removed. The other simply needs the new decal applied.
1) What's the best method for removing the old decal without scratching the handle?
2) How should I best transfer the decal from the paper to the handle?
Thanks for your help in advance.

74 5,607
 09-20-2019, 05:28 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(09-19-2019, 02:16 AM)primotenore Wrote: I could use some advice.
I want to replace two decals on two of my Simpson shave brushes. (Thanks to @CanuckShaver for his generosity).
One brush needs to have to old, half-worn decal removed. The other simply needs the new decal applied.
1) What's the best method for removing the old decal without scratching the handle?

To remove the decal without messing-up the handle, I would start with a Q-tip soaked in a solvent (acetone, denatured alcohol, and naphtha usually work well--all are available at your local hardware store) to dissolve the underlying adhesive and, holding the brush upright to keep the solvent away from the knot and imprinting, gently wipe the edges of the decal until it comes loose.  Finally, wipe the surrounding area with fresh Q-tip tipped in solvent and wipe a lint-free cloth.  This last step is to be sure you have a clean surface for the new decal.

Unfortunately, I don't know how the backing paper is set up on Simpsons decals; so you might need to make some adjustments to the following.  With that caveat, I would set the brush gently but firmly in a vise with padded jaws (some layers of cloth padding might help if your vise doesn't have "soft" jaws.  You just don't want the handle to move while applying the decal.)  Next, I would use a thin dry-erase marker to indicate the center line of the brush.  Then peal back the backing paper and carefully align the decal so that it bisects the center line and is level with the imprinting.  

It's a delicate operation for sure and even Simpsons doesn't get it right all the time.  

Hope this helps.  Feel free to call me with any follow-up questions.

4 903
 09-20-2019, 06:58 AM
User Info
(09-20-2019, 05:28 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 02:16 AM)primotenore Wrote: I could use some advice.

To remove the decal without messing-up the handle, I would start with a Q-tip soaked in a solvent (acetone, denatured alcohol, and naphtha usually work well--all are available at your local hardware store) to dissolve the underlying adhesive and, holding the brush upright to keep the solvent away from the knot and imprinting, gently wipe the edges of the decal until it comes loose.  Finally, wipe the surrounding area with fresh Q-tip tipped in solvent and wipe a lint-free cloth.  This last step is to be sure you have a clean surface for the new decal.

Unfortunately, I don't know how the backing paper is set up on Simpsons decals; so you might need to make some adjustments to the following.  With that caveat, I would set the brush gently but firmly in a vise with padded jaws (some layers of cloth padding might help if your vise doesn't have "soft" jaws.  You just don't want the handle to move while applying the decal.)  Next, I would use a thin dry-erase marker to indicate the center line of the brush.  Then peal back the backing paper and carefully align the decal so that it bisects the center line and is level with the imprinting.  

It's a delicate operation for sure and even Simpsons doesn't get it right all the time.  

Hope this helps.  Feel free to call me with any follow-up questions.
Thank you SO much. I appreciate the helpful response.

74 5,607