09-19-2019, 11:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM
User Info
I swear, Pablo must have said "watch what I can sell those suckers next!"  I love a lot of artists but just don't get Picasso at all.

6 481
 09-19-2019, 12:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-19-2019, 12:12 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I swear, Pablo must have said "watch what I can sell those suckers next!"  I love a lot of artists but just don't get Picasso at all.

In a gallery that was exhibiting some of his works, Picasso found himself behind a woman looking at his Don Quixote. She exclaimed, “My 6-year-old granson could have done this with his box of crayons!” “Madame,” Picasso said, leaning forward to speak softly into her ear, “Please encourage him.”

1 1,403
 09-19-2019, 01:24 PM
User Info
(09-19-2019, 12:58 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 12:12 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I swear, Pablo must have said "watch what I can sell those suckers next!"  I love a lot of artists but just don't get Picasso at all.

In a gallery that was exhibiting some of his works, Picasso found himself behind a woman looking at his Don Quixote.  She exclaimed, “My 6-year-old granson could have done this with his box of crayons!”  “Madame,” Picasso said, leaning forward to speak softly into her ear, “Please encourage him.”

2 386
 09-19-2019, 01:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I watched the first 60 seconds to see if the loop would morph into something else. It didn’t. Checked a few other sections here and there. Same slow clap. Fast forward to the last full full minute...

15 3,875
 09-19-2019, 02:02 PM
User Info
(09-19-2019, 01:52 PM)chazt Wrote: I watched the first 60 seconds to see if the loop would morph into something else. It didn’t. Checked a few other sections here and there. Same slow clap. Fast forward to the last full full minute...

Oh god.  I didn't realize that video is an hour long.  I thought it was a minute.  Sorry.

2 386
 11-21-2019, 11:29 PM
User Info
That was pretty cool. I dug the music. I really like Picasso's cubist work. I'm unfamiliar with most of his other stuff and don't seem to enjoy it as much when I see it. Though as someone who's dabbled in portraits I definitely appreciate even the pieces I'm not as drawn (pun not intended) to.

15 182
 11-22-2019, 03:42 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Several years ago my wife and I visited the Picasso museum in Barcelona.  Both of us came away with a greater appreciation of his work.  That is not to say that we liked everything we saw, but we did gain new insights of how he evolved as an artist.  If you’re ever in Barcelona I highly recommend that you spend a few hours in the museum; be advised though that you’ll have to book your entry time well in advance if you’re there during the high season.

9 1,124
 11-22-2019, 08:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Bryan, my wife and I traveled to Barcelona in February of 2017. We didn’t know about the struggle for getting tickets, so sadly we didn’t get to visit the museum. It was the one and only disappointing experience for us in Spain. Speaking of the high season, a branch of the Museum of Hash, Hemp and Marijuana is located very close to the Picasso. Also throughout Barcelona are many incredible eateries serving up the best tapas I’ve ever tried!

15 3,875
 11-24-2019, 09:00 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I am indeed a huge fan of Picasso's work. All phases are equally inventive and masterful. 

Becoming successful as an artist and then changing his style or inventing a style as completely as Picasso did and continue to be recognized throughout his life (by the art world) as a genius is the equivalent to someone winning wimbleton, then winning us open golf championship, then kicking the winning goal at the world cup, then ...  

As he aged, his work became simpler perhaps in response to criticism that people did not understand what he was doing. Only to have grandmas around the world to remark that their grandchildren could do as much if not better. His response was magnificent. I wonder if any children were indeed encouraged as he recommended?

0 369