09-21-2019, 04:02 PM
User Info
For years, I did not have a satisfactory way to store my Naniwa hones.  One can keep them in their original cardboard boxes, but they don't provide much protection and eventually fall apart.  

Shapton stones include a nice plastic box, which I wish Naniwa would also do.  Earlier this year I discovered that the Shapton plastic boxes fit the Naniwa stones, both the Professional/Chosera series and the Sharpening Stone/Super Stone series, quite well.  Here is a photo of the empty box.  As you can see, it has slots on the bottom so a stone which is put away wet will dry.

[Image: FZrMjLH.jpg]

The Naniwa stones fit perfectly in this plastic box, with virtually no free play.

[Image: UJmjaj4.jpg]

Additionally, the Shapton plastic box has ridges around the top of the cover, which allow one to use the box as a stone holder while honing.

[Image: CLRjSgh.jpg]

These plastic boxes are available by themselves, and I find them to be a nice solution to the problem of how to store my hones.

60 9,644
 09-22-2019, 06:17 AM
User Info
Looks good Ricardo!

I still only have the Zulu Grey 8x3, and I leave it and the slurry stone that came with it on my dresser displayed. Though nobody really goes in the basement room where the majority of my shaving kit is stored.

It is such a great looking natural rock...but I do have it far back enough that the kids ages 3 and under can’t reach it (just in case).

Vr

Matt

32 1,816
 09-22-2019, 11:59 AM
User Info
Can you purchase these on their own or do they just come with the Shapton stone

3 53
 09-22-2019, 01:43 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for the tip, Ricardo.

38 6,073
 09-22-2019, 04:16 PM
User Info
(09-22-2019, 11:59 AM)Monchoon Wrote: Can you purchase these on their own or do they just come with the Shapton stone

Walter, you can purchase these on their own.  Two vendors which I know carry them are Chef Knives To Go, and Sharpening Supplies.

60 9,644
 09-23-2019, 02:05 PM
User Info
Cool thanks for the heads up

3 53