09-23-2019, 09:23 PM
User Info
A little while ago I stumbled over an article asking the question: "How bad are disposable razors for the environment?"
Turns out they are.. not good. Difficult or impossible to recycle, due to mixed construction. Definitely not bio-degradable, at least not on this planet. They pose a possible safety risk for recycling workers, due to the sharp blades. And to add insult to injury, the packaging is often hard to recycle as well.
Actually; instead of saying "not good", I should have said "pretty bad". And most of the same points still hold true for cartridge razors too; even if you hang on to the handle, the cartridges themselves have all the recycling issues a disposable razor has.
There is a better alternative, and since you're on the 'Nook you can probably guess it already: the traditional safety razors, or even a straight edged razors. These razors lasts forever if looked after with a minimum of due diligence, and the used blades can be easily recycled - although I would suggest using a sharps container or other blade bank to minimise risk of anyone cutting themselves. Most people who put the effort in to learn how to shave properly with them find a significant reduction in razor burn and related issues. And as I showed in a blog post earlier this year; traditional wetshaving can and will save you money down the line, as long as you avoid the worst Acquisition Disorders.

[Image: recycle.gif]

The short version: traditional safety razors and straight edges are better for your face, your wallet and the environment - so they represent a win-win-win situation.

3 6,716
 09-24-2019, 12:19 AM
User Info
Thanks. I am new to wet shaving and was wondering on this exact topic. Tossing out razor blades doesn’t seem that safe or hygienic to say the least. Throwing out the blades with the blade bank also seems pretty environmentally unfriendly. How are some of you doing this is a more environmentally responsible way? Any best practices to share?

1 23
 09-24-2019, 12:55 AM
User Info
Personally I use a Sharps Container (google the term to learn more), which I can then hand in for disposal/recycling later. Some people use metal blade banks (they can be bought cheaply, or made from an old tin), which later can be put in the metal recycling. Other solutions to exists; the important thing is that razor blades can easily be recycled as metal scrap. Just remember to do so in a way that reduces the chance of accidental cuts or injury.

3 6,716
 09-24-2019, 05:27 PM
User Info
It's good to raise public awareness of the serious environmental damage done by disposable plastics.  As an example, consider this case of a whale which died because it had ingested more than 88 pounds of plastic.   

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envir...ilippines/

Much emphasis is placed on plastic bags and plastic straws, but the problem goes far beyond those products.  Disposable plastic razors are certainly among the culprits.

60 9,699
 09-25-2019, 03:47 AM
User Info
I've seen a razor brand called Preserve in my local organic foods shop.
It makes a selling point of how the handle is made of 100% recycled plastic (largely from yogurt cups).
The handle can in turn be recycled.
The company website doesn't get into the question of the carts, though.

10 1,115
 09-25-2019, 09:37 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
That’s a good idea about a sharps container.

I read your blog about saving $270 per year. That let’s me know that I can buy 1 nice razor per year and break even. That’s excellent news.

3 703
 09-29-2019, 07:41 AM
User Info
I used to try to use a single cartridge for months. Most men I know do the same. I probably only used 5 or 6 cartridges a year I think the shaves were terrible but i despised shelling out so much $$$ for each one and the wealthy execs getting it all. I would never save $270 in a year. Maybe over 5 years

DE makes me proud to support small business and while I dont think my footprint was very big using de blades means i can drop off at eco station metal recycling.

1 15