09-22-2012, 03:59 AM
User Info
Hey guys, supposing one shaves each and every single day with the new brush, how many shaves does it take for a new boar brush to be considered fully broken in? What is it about the brush that tells you when it's finally broken in and giving it's best performances? Is there anything you do during the break-in period that you don't normally do with a new badger brush? I've had a few boars, never really had the patience to break one in so I could enjoy the fruits of my labor, so to speak. I usually give up and stop using them. I've got a new Semogue 2000 from The Vintage Scent and I want to give it my best shot!Wink What can you tell me?

24 1,151
 09-22-2012, 04:31 AM
User Info
From my experience break in time depends a lot on knot size and hair grade.

My break in technique is just to use the brush.

Longer lofted, soft hair grade brushes take around 10 shaves to really change (something like the 2011 LE size 2) where as the size 1 took around 50 lathers to really perform.

If you want to speed up things, once fully dry, a test lather can help things but otherways just use it.

One thing to note, go heavy on loading it up in these initial stages, otherways you may find you run out of lather.

7 1,179
 09-22-2012, 06:22 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Your use of the boar is what determines that break in period. Make sure to let it completely dry between shaves and work it to death during the shave. Your brush should be ready in 2-3 weeks, YMMV Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-22-2012, 06:36 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The Semogue 2000 is a great brush Gary. If your patient and break it in correctly it will probably be one of, if not the best soap brush you have ever used. I would agree with the comments above. If you use the brush for around 3 weeks daily you should be well on your way. I don't think it will be to it's full potential at that point but getting close.

45 3,955
 09-22-2012, 09:11 AM
User Info
I have used my Semogue 620 exclusively since August 12th - minus the days I used Barbasol - for a total of 35 shaves.

I would say it is pretty well broken in by now, as the hairs are really nice and soft. It lathers like a dream - best face lathering brush I own. Smile

1 94
 09-22-2012, 09:22 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The Semogue 2000 takes up to 15 shaves to be fully break in (soft tips , I mean).But you can speed that process by making lather on the palm of your hand like 10 times before using it with a bar of hand soap.That would make the bristles much softer and more ready to be use.

86 7,124
 09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
Hi Gary,

You've probably read what I'm about to write before this. I'm about to write it again.

I prefer to break in a boar when our air is bone dry. January - March would be that time. I face lather, and I use the new brush that way, but since our indoor air is bone dry because of the outside air, I can hand lather the brush at least 2x on the same day and it dries between lathers. I've been able to break a boar in in under 2 weeks this way. The brush moves from being a "eeh" brush to almost over night being a "Hey, this is really nice" brush. I don't notice it getting gradually better, but something that I notice all of a sudden. On that day I'm done breaking it in, and I just use it to complete any additional break in. I'm serious about the brush becoming good almost over night too. One day it just dawns on me that the brush is pretty darned good.

There are some boars that seemingly need no break in. My Semogue 1438 was one of those.

I guess I'm trying to write that there is no rule. It's ready when it's ready.

I never break in a badger. Any change in the brush is minor, so I just clean it when I first get it, and just use it.

What should you do? It's not your first boar... I would lather it once a day for a month before using it for the first time. Allow it to stay out to fully air dry. If it won't fully dry in a day, take the time required to fully dry, and lengthen the total time required to break it in by the required factor.

Good luck with your new boar!

32 6,311
 09-22-2012, 02:48 PM
User Info
Could just use a fan to accelerate the drying process.

9 2,988
 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
(09-22-2012, 01:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: What should you do? It's not your first boar... I would lather it once a day for a month before using it for the first time. Allow it to stay out to fully air dry. If it won't fully dry in a day, take the time required to fully dry, and lengthen the total time required to break it in by the required factor.
Good luck with your new boar!

+1 with what Brian suggests. i have placed my boars on my heating duct opening in the winter to help it dry quicker. The more it dries between uses, the quicker the break-in time. Good luck, Gary.

75 20,883
 09-23-2012, 03:05 PM
User Info
I am new to brush shaving.

What constitutes "Break In"?

Mickey

0 1
 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
Hi Mickey. Boar brushes are different than badger brushes. They aren't as effective when new. The hairs have to become conditioned to their intended use, whereas badger hair is a naturally effective shaving brush right from the start. The way a boar brush becomes most effective as a shaving tool is to be used for a while. It takes patience and understanding of the process. I don't understand the science involved, or the methods by which the hairs are harvested. Boar brushes are far less expensive than badger brushes. Someone who is much more experienced with boar brushes will surely come along soon.

24 1,151
 09-23-2012, 03:53 PM
User Info
Gary, while feigning little knowledge nailed it. Thumbsup

Though I don't know if there's any science to it. If there is I don't know it. I just know what works for me. It boils down to use it as much as possible.

Badgers get whatever "more" they'll get in just a few uses. Basically, any break in of a badger is minimal.

Boars achieve their best when the ends of the hairs split and that takes time and use. I break in a boar by use and hand lathering. The best time for me to do this is the winter when I can lather a brush and have it dry in a short time. In our winter I can break a boar in in a little over a week. I think the last one took 10 days lathering it 3x a day.

If you don't have such a bone dry climate your results and method will vary. I don't suggest the use of a hair dryer or other ways to accelerate the drying because I don't know how that will affect the hair. (basically I shy away from that because I'm ignorant)

But the procedure is the same for us all. Lather it, let it dry, really dry. Damp isn't dry. Repeat until the brush lathers great and becomes soft. You'll be able to see the split tips easily once it's broken in. Every boar I've ever broken in was "ehh" one day and seemingly over night became fantastic. Whoops, one exception... the Semogue 1438 was good out of the box and got much better. However, you WILL know when it's broken in. You won't need to guess.

A few caveats... trimmed boar hair won't split, neither will badger hair. Pretty much, badger hair is what it is out of the box. Badger will get slightly better, but only minutely. Others more in tune to badger will need to explain why. I just use them (and boars).

32 6,311
 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I like to let a boar dry 48 hours between uses, particularly while breaking in.

Takes about 5 cycles (ten days) to get to "wow, this is nice".

Takes another 5 to 7 cycles ( total 20 - 25 days) to "this is great".

Some brushes seem to improve even more, after 20 or more uses.

- Mike

1 108
 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM
User Info
Glad I saw this thread. I've got a couple boar brushes coming and I was wondering exactly the question asked here.

0 98
 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-25-2012, 12:12 PM)MikeGJ Wrote: I like to let a boar dry 48 hours between uses, particularly while breaking in.

Takes about 5 cycles (ten days) to get to "wow, this is nice".

Takes another 5 to 7 cycles ( total 20 - 25 days) to "this is great".

Some brushes seem to improve even more, after 20 or more uses.

- Mike

Mike :

I think that many of us share your same thoughts regarding this.

Quality Boar hair gets better with use , no doubt about it.The more you use it the better it perform.

86 7,124