10-07-2019, 06:35 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I want to make a fanboy post about the aftershaves and toners over at Chatillon Lux.  I do enjoy his fragrances, and he does some very creative things with them, but is post shave products are also really top-notch.  They are the number one AS in my den behind B&M and Maol.  It was their aftershave that got me hooked on the brand. Some of the aftershave scents are just fantastic: I love Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli and Gratiot League Square.  They are great when you want to carry some sent but not necessarily as much as a cologne. Plus, the skin healing properties are excellent. Anyway, I just wanted to give props where they are due. Fanboy out.  Smile

32 887
 10-07-2019, 06:52 AM
User Info
I really liked his stuff early on as it is tough to find any AS with staying power.

I belive I own every scent and their matching EDT and salve prior to the last year of new offerings.

Saying that I've gone mainly to some new guys with more of a water base splash.

YRP, Bon Vivant & Catalans Prairie are exceptional scents but after owning almost a dozen CL scents here are my takeaways.

The splash is very sticky compared to other alcohol splashes and why I almost prefer water based now. I mean very sticky. The toners are much more preferable to me especially if there is a matching edt. Before anyone argues that statement I understand that most alchohol splashes will have some tackiness to them but CL are off the charts in that regard.

Like a specific guitarist you start to pick out specific notes listening to allot of their offerings. Not all but a big margin of scents I get a powdery vibe. Not top note but it's there and I find it a bit suffocating. GLS, LQV & 4th & Pine come to mind. I really enjoy Rose Santal and get compliments with Unconditional Surrender when I wear it but the vibe is there too.

Colbeck, Sauk, Colonia & Liguest were the biggest misses for me.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

2 181
 10-07-2019, 07:22 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(10-07-2019, 06:52 AM)jaxstraww Wrote: The splash is very sticky compared to other alcohol splashes and why I almost prefer water based now. I mean very sticky. The toners are much more preferable to me especially if there is a matching edt. Before anyone argues that statement I understand that most alchohol splashes will have some tackiness to them but CL are off the charts in that regard.

I understand what you mean about some tackiness.  I don't know that I would qualify it as "off the charts", but I know what you mean. I will leave you with this suggestion as it helped me with the issue. I simply use less product and apply it to a slightly wet face. When I do that I don't have issues with stickiness, and depending upon the water quantity, I can also really very the degree of scent that I leave behind. If I'm in a work setting, or other situation where I want to have a lighter scent, this is a way to do so. That and it eliminates any tackiness/stickiness for me.  Hope that helps.

32 887
 10-07-2019, 07:26 AM
User Info
It does and I will definitely look at applying to a damp face to reduce the tackiness.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

2 181
 10-08-2019, 03:12 PM
User Info
I agree with both the tackiness issue, and the damp face "solution". It does help, but only to a point. Still leaves more of a tacky feeling then I would like... but the skincare qualities are great.

I've also noticed that the tackiness level seems to vary from scent to scent, or at least bottle to bottle. I haven't owned multiple bottles of any one scent, but of the ones I've used a couple seemed more tacky than others. I make a point of shaking them well before application just to make sure there's no coagulation.

10 185
 11-02-2019, 03:19 PM
User Info
Hmmm, I haven’t noticed this tackiness issue with CL, but I do love their AS and toner! To some extent I can see how some of the underlying base notes come out across their scents, but I’ve found that to be the case with a couple of other artisans as well. Admiral is easily one of my favorite sets though. Love it so much I picked up the AS, toner, and edt.

3 11